Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

My super noob question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My super noob question

Ok, so ive heard this a few times, and finally worked up the courage to ask what is no doubt, a dumb question... To make the most of my ignorance, going to do this right. What is the difference between a rotary pump, and an inline pump. Why or what makes the inline better? What kind of engines have said inline pumps, and how if possible could you intall one on an IDI? I realize this sounds dumb to ask in this fashion, as soon as i hit the post button im off to research it myself, just interested in your guys info and knowledge on the subject.

I dont mean to sound rude by saying this, but if you have nothing better to do than informing me this idea is dumb, impossible, retarded or anything like that, please refrain from writing it. This is simply a quest for knowledge (at this point at least).

Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Ok, so ive heard this a few times, and finally worked up the courage to ask what is no doubt, a dumb question... To make the most of my ignorance, going to do this right. What is the difference between a rotary pump, and an inline pump. Why or what makes the inline better? What kind of engines have said inline pumps, and how if possible could you intall one on an IDI? I realize this sounds dumb to ask in this fashion, as soon as i hit the post button im off to research it myself, just interested in your guys info and knowledge on the subject.

I dont mean to sound rude by saying this, but if you have nothing better to do than informing me this idea is dumb, impossible, retarded or anything like that, please refrain from writing it. This is simply a quest for knowledge (at this point at least).
i now this is corny, but the only question that is dumb is the question that is never asked. your not the only one. i have no idea what an inline pump even is.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont quote me, but I think the inline pumps can build higher pressures

Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Well ive pretty much narrowed it down. Our pumps dont move enough fuel to make much more than 300 horse, even machined out. I dont know numbers but from what im understanding the inline pumps can move WAY more fuel, not to mention at higher pressures which im not concerned with as theyre designed for DI motors and ours are IDI so we dont need the higher pressure. I 'could' make it DI but that would defeat the purpose of building my IDI. This seems VERY possible...
step 1: find a pump that delivers the ballpark amount of fuel (whatever that is)
2: Time it: idk if our pumps run 1:1 with the cam, but an inline pump would have to, via same size and tooth gear as the cam gear
3: find a way to drop the pressure of the inline pump so as not to grenade our injectors or fit some sort of other injectors in there like those from a cummins

Over on diesel stop there is a thread im reading... very interesting stuff, apparently there is a couple P-pumped PSDs out there although majority of them are not running for unknown reasons.

I must say, those PSD guys dont think much of our beloved IDIs. I put more stock in the idi than they do, hopefully im right.

To get where im goin with all this, im lookin for around 500hp give or take at the flywheel and maybe 800 or so lb ft of torque. This is all fantasy bench building for now, but id like to see where it goes, if nothing else, it will be fun. I think the motor will handle it, just all comes down to building a fuel system that is actually drivable. Going off the theory that if a 5.9 can make 1200hp, i can make a 6.9 make 400-500hp... just have to figure out what pump and injectors to use.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
John, i noticed you posted on another site, tractorforum or something an article about the 1200hp hypermax IDI. Do you happen to know where you found it? Trying to find as much info as i can on what they used to build the damn thing. Not even looking for half that. If 1200 can be done, i can do 500 hehe. I did find out they used a bosch pump, tho which one i have no idea. Seems like getting a different pump on there would be fairly straight forward given some machine work. But lines and injectors will be the fun part.

hehe worst case scenario, it makes too much power and i have to de-tune it to drive lol

Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Well ive found out the hypermax idi used a bosch inline pump, and sadly thats about all ive found for the moment, but it wont be all i find. Ive put in an email to hypermax, im curious what i get back, if anything at all. I suppose the next big step in the planning process is to find out how much boost i can run, at a compression ratio that it will still start, and how much fuel i need to make it all work.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:23 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Inline pumps are exactly that inline, they have a separate plunger for each cylinder, a rotory pump has a rotaying head and one plunger for all cylinders
Heres an inline very similar to the one i have on my 9600. There are 6 plungers that are run with a cam just like a camshaft in an engine

Heres a rotary
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...tzwMRRMnL8Ym6w
Hope this helps

Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
the old 12 v cummins runs an inline, aswell as most older tractors, and heavy equipment and older diesels. inlines are harder to set up but i think that they last longer between overhauls

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The P7100 is the best inline pump ever made IMHO. Would it be possible to fit one on an IDI?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
It has been a few times to 7.3 PS's http://www.gohypermax.com/Links/v8left.JPG the IDI block would not really benefit from it and could not handle the 1400HP 2100TQ that hypermax is making with their engine. They will build you a PS for 35k. the kit is like 18k http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDis...c-8df2dccc5adb

Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Well after more reading on OB the inline may not be required for what im wanting, but its still an idea id like to play with. I dont necessarily need a pump that big for obvious reasons. I know CAT pumps have been brought up, im curious about one off an 1160. Theres a non running beet truck with one not far from here. Well it runs, but the truck is shot. Might be a whole engine transplant, i love CATs, but the hummer only weighs about 1700 pounds. Then theres transmissions. Granted the truck has a 5 spd with a brownie... but thats a big **** 5 speed.

Lets say theoretically i get the whole fuel system off of "gereric diesel" that has an inline DI pump and injectors. Theoretically would the extra fuel pressure have any adverse effect on the IDI? I cant really see that it would, but perhaps a different spray pattern that wouldnt be as efficient in our engine. Just a thought to toss around.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Been doing some reading on our rotary pumps, there are a few internals that could be changed to increase the flow rates, but it would be expensive, and require a test stand etc as well. On top of that I can't see it being something that is going to produce big hp, maybe 25-50% from what I'm thinking right now.

I need to think about which IP I can take off a truck and tear down here, to study them up further.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Early dt 466's had rotarys and in tractor pulling aplications can put out 400cc's of fuel

Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Theres also the DB4 pumps.... I dont know much (anything) about them, but i think they have 4 plungers where our DB2's only have two plungers...

Quick Reply: My super noob question