MAJOR oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
flbmcman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MAJOR oil in coolant

Hi all,

Have a MAJOR problem. Last night, temp gauge PEGGED hot, stopped and checked/added water to rad. Tried to get home, but LOUD knock started and gauge stilled pegged, and steam coming from resv tank. Put water into resv. tank and lifted pressure release. Cracked rad cap, and got a shower of OIL. Truck is parked on side of road about 4mi from home. I have a feeling that the motor is toast, but am going to try and see if it will crank and run enough to get home, then see about getting a tow from the guy that does my major work.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Lawrence

Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its probably got a blown head gasket. Or it is a blown oil cooler, usually a simple fix. If you have a mechanic i would have him tow it, dont risk running the engine. The engine is not toast, you should be able to get it fixed pretty easy.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 AM
flbmcman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Aune163rd
Its probably got a blown head gasket. Or it is a blown oil cooler, usually a simple fix. If you have a mechanic i would have him tow it, dont risk running the engine. The engine is not toast, you should be able to get it fixed pretty easy.
Thanks for the reply,

The thing that had me concerned was the SHOWER of oil from the rad. Just figured that it had thrown something thru something and would never turn over again. will post what is found/fix action later

Lawrence

Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

the shower of oil from the radiator is from the pressure it was under at the temperature it was at. I have seen that happen and these engines turn over and start again(my 86 did this, and i can get it to start, granted it takes some serious patience and a little ether)

Old 07-29-2011, 10:56 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by flbmcman
Thanks for the reply,

The thing that had me concerned was the SHOWER of oil from the rad. Just figured that it had thrown something thru something and would never turn over again. will post what is found/fix action later

Lawrence
Remember that oil floats on water, so instead of getting a shower of steam like you would think, the oil that leaked into the coolant floated up to the top and sprayed out.

Sounds like you overheated which caused the head gasket to go which caused the oil to leak into the coolant. Or it could be the oil cooler too. Get it to a mechanic (or start tearing it down yourself).

Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM
86f250XLT-4x4
Elder User

I 3x that on not starting it oil cooler may have been the start of it but when it overheated you probably fried a or both the headgaskets but if it was as hot as you say it was I would definitely get the heads looked at when the mechanic gets it

Old 07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
If it comes down to a head gasket, make sure you have the head checked for warping or you will be wasting your time installing a new head gasket with a bad head.

For your sake, I hope it is just the oil cooler.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

x2 on just the oil cooler, if your needing new heads well that always sucks haha. Usually you gotta buy a new head, if your good to go on your head. Well then when you put it back in, throw studs on both sides so you dont blow a head gasket as easy.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:05 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The knock is the part that bothers me. Engines dont really like being overheated could have cooked a wrist pin or rod bearing. Also, if theres oil in the coolant, means a fairly good chance theres coolant in the oil, and as we all know, coolant doesnt lubricate very well, and as mentioned oil floats, so the water would be the first thing sucked through the oil pump.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

that it would, I wonder if its hydrolocked? When it was running do you recall smelling burnt antifreeze?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:02 AM
flbmcman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Aune163rd
that it would, I wonder if its hydrolocked? When it was running do you recall smelling burnt antifreeze?
Don't recall the burnt antifreeze, but did smell burnt oil.

Went to where I left it Fri, and against all advice here, dumped 1gal of water into rad., 1gal of oil into engine, and it fired right off. Drove the 4miles to the house with no knock/overheating. It responded like everything was normal. However, when releasing the pressure it tried to give me another oil shower. Did not look at that time for water in oil.

Right now cannot do anything with it as I have a business trip starting tomorrow My mech told me that he did not have the stuff to do the engine(too heavy), so will need to find someplace to get it to and fixed. Can't afford a new one at this time.

Thanks for all the advice, even tho I was stupid/crazy enough to not follow it in getting it home.

Lawrence.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

I told you that the engine would start, im shocked that you didnt puke oil everywhere or hydrolock it or something. Well i am glad its home, sounds to me liek a blown head gasket or you were pushing the truck a little hard, can you give us some specs on teh engine and whatnot so we can help you troubleshoot a little further?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:22 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
do u run sca in the collant might be cavation oil cooler or blown hg get a comprestion tester and test the motor

Old 08-30-2011, 12:18 PM
flbmcman
Freshman User
UPDATE: Major oil in coolant

Hi all,

Here is an update.

Went to auto zone and got a loaner coolant system pressure tester. Pulled the oil filter, since my shop manual showed that the oil went direct to the cooler, then oil filter, before engine.

Pumped the tester to 15 psi and let it set. Could see that it was loosing pressure VERY SLOWLY, so went inside and cleaned up. Went out about 2 hours later, and pressure was ZIP. Tried to pump up pressure and had COOLANT COMING OUT OF THE FILTER MOUNT.

I am no motor doctor, but from what I can read in the manual, this should be a SURE sign that my problem is the oil cooler.

I hope that I am right.

Lawrence

Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
86f250XLT-4x4
Elder User

Oil cooler is definitely the start of your problem but I would keep an eye on other things since it was overheated for so long

Quick Reply: MAJOR oil in coolant