1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions concerning some 2011-12, F250 options specifically the bench seat, 10K GVWR and King Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM
JimCantu
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions concerning some 2011-12, F250 options specifically the bench seat, 10K GVWR and King Ranch

Hello everyone! I just sold my 2008 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited 4x4 and am now in the market for a 2011-12, F250 Lariat Diesel.

I just had a few questions concerning some options specifically the bench seat, 10K GVWR and King Ranch.

First off, I've been lurking on the site for quite some time and have learned a wealth of information from everyone. I can't thank you guys enough for all the help and information you provided which helped me decide on my next truck.

Is there anyone that got the front bench seat and wished they would've got the bucket seats instead?

I know with the bench seat you lose the front 4 cup holders in the center console and the 2 cup holders on the back of the center console not to mention the 110vac and 12vdc power outlets on the back and the air vents on the back of the center console. Does the bench seat have any rear air vents? I did hear with the bench seat you get a lockable storage area underneath the front center seat along with a power outlet but I'm not sure how many or what type. The Driver and Passenger seats seem the same with the power adjustments and heated/cooled options minus the arm rest. Am I missing anything? I heard a lot of people complaining about the fact that the new super duty trucks seemed a little more cramped in the cab and I was hoping by going with the bench seat it would help to make it feel a bit bigger because you wouldn't have the behemoth of a center console to take up so much room. Since this truck doesn't have the center console shifter I don't really see any reason to have the center console go all the way to the floor. The fact that you can seat an additional person or have someone sit closer to you is also comforting but was never a factor with my previous truck so I don't know if that would really matter. But it is always nice to have options.

What is the deal with the 10k lb GVWR option? Can someone explain why I should or should not get this option. I was looking at the specs for both the F250/F350 and they both come stock with a 9,900 lb GVWR. I couldn't imagine an additional 100 lbs would make a difference in the tow/hauling aspects of these trucks. But the whole reason I'm getting a new truck is to haul the 5th wheel I want. My previous truck wasn't quite designed to haul such a large load. I know it would've been so much cheaper to get a smaller 5th wheel but what fun would that be and besides I needed an excuse to get a new truck. I've been reading the differences between the F250/F350 in the FAQ section and it seems the only difference is Badging and taller bump stop in the rear. Other than that the trucks seem identical. But the specs on the FORD website indicated a 500 lb difference in 5th wheel max towing weight. Not really sure but I don't think bump stops would make that much of a difference. I plan on getting the 10k lb GVWR option and putting some airbags underneath so it shouldn't be a factor I was just trying to get a little more educated about these trucks.

Lastly is the King Ranch option really a $7,310 increase over the Lariat. As far as I can tell you get different colored leather, leather wrapped steering wheel, some two tone paint, KR badging and a back-up camera. Am I missing anything? Because if I'm not that is some seriously expensive leather. For those of you who own a KR, I mean no disrespect just trying to get a little smarter.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm not sure about all the little details with the console versus the 40/20/40 seat. But I know I would prefer not having the console. It restricts leg movement, and I cannot lay my rifle/shotgun in that area, plus the floor space in front of the bench is nice for laying other odd stuff. The front part of that console is a big space waster in my opinion.

On the suspension question, there are a couple of options that affect the spring set and GVWR. The Snowplow Prep and the Heavy Duty Suspension options both increase the springs, as does the diesel option. You want the 10k GVWR if you will be pulling a fiver, and that will add the auxilliary overload spring. However my recommendation for anyone pulling a fiver is to go with an F350. It is only about $500 more, and you get about 1,500# more pin weight capacity. It is mostly an axle spacer as you know, and the trucks ride the same. So I don't see why not. P.S., make sure you do the math on pin weight capacity before you select a truck.

Yes, the KR is $7k more than the Lariat, but it includes much of the options that you would add to a Lariat, so it is more than just leather. It is still expensive leather, and the leather is heavier duty than Lariat leather. Not just a different color, different leather altogether. Sit in two of them and you will know. Whether you like it or not is a personal thing. The KR leather takes a lot of work to keep looking clean, and I think for most people it ends up looking more like a saddle with scars and blotchy color, which is attactive in its own way.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 PM
JimCantu
Junior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
I cannot lay my rifle/shotgun in that area, plus the floor space in front of the bench is nice for laying other odd stuff. The front part of that console is a big space waster in my opinion.

You want the 10k GVWR if you will be pulling a fiver, and that will add the auxilliary overload spring. However my recommendation for anyone pulling a fiver is to go with an F350. It is only about $500 more, and you get about 1,500# more pin weight capacity. It is mostly an axle spacer as you know, and the trucks ride the same. So I don't see why not. P.S., make sure you do the math on pin weight capacity before you select a truck.
I'm a big time hunter and I thought about all the stuff I could put on the floor space as well. That's almost a selling point all in it's own.

As far as the F350 I thought about it but I have decided that I am sticking with the SRW and if that's the case the F250/F350 are pretty much the same. I just couldn't figure out where the 500 lb difference came into play. If the frame and suspension are the same then I think I'll save a couple hundred and just put airbags in the back. Im a huge fan of the airbags after having them on my last truck and seeing how effective they are for load leveling especially when you have an automatic compressor and remote control.

Totally understand about the KR being a personal choice I was just wondering if there were options that the KR had that I hadn't included in the build of the Lariat. When you max out all the Lariat options it's really not that much difference in price. But I'm not a huge fan of the dark red leather. I think it looks very unique it's just not for me... Now if someone wanted to give me that option for free. I would gladly take it

Thank you for the comments!!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I had the bench in my '05. For the most part, I liked it, although I did order that truck with the captain's chairs and center console. SNAFU at the dealership when ordering netted me the wrong seats. It wasn't a deal breaker so I took it, along with some comps from the dealer for the mix-up. It was more practical when I needed to haul an extra person which actually happened a total of twice.

On my new truck, I got the 40/console/40 seat and couldn't be happier. It has a HUGE amount of storage along with the rear vents, power points, and extra cupholders. It also locks for more secure storage. After having this combination, I wouldn't go back to the bench. I think part of the feeling that some get with regard to the "cramped" feeling is the fact that these trucks now have curtain airbags which cuts in a little on headroom (or at least it seems so to me). Otherwise, I don't feel cramped at all. And it hasn't limited my legroom at all and I'm 6'4".

As far as the 10K GVWR goes, it's a choice you'll have to make on your own. These trucks are getting heavier all the time. My tire and loading decal on my "B" pillar says my truck is rated for 3,414 lbs. of payload. That combined with my 11,500 GVWR gives me a rough idea that my truck is somewhere around 8,086 lbs. empty.....haven't had it on the scales yet though. The GVWR of the truck minus the actual weight of the truck is going to give you your payload capacity. So look at that as well when you're considering your purchase. If your "allowable" payload according to the factory ratings isn't that big a deal, go with the 10K GVWR. But if you're looking at a heavier 5th wheel, you may want to consider an F-350. Of course a lot of that depends upon your state's weight and registration fees as well.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both 250's and 350's are available in SRW. I also would agree with bpounds and get the 350. One of the differences I appreciate is the 350 is rated to carry more which comes in handy when you have a lot of pin weight.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 AM
JimCantu
Junior User
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
Both 250's and 350's are available in SRW. I also would agree with bpounds and get the 350. One of the differences I appreciate is the 350 is rated to carry more which comes in handy when you have a lot of pin weight.
According to the spec sheet at the Ford website, most of the differences in max tow capability are associated with the gear ratio of the trucks. Tried building a F-350 and the highest gear ratio you can get with the diesel is 3.55 for both F250/F350. In which case the F350 is rated at 15,700 lbs max 5th wheel tow capability. While the F250 is rated at 15,200 lbs.

As far as payload, with both trucks configured with the 10k GVWR the F250 is actually rated 30 lbs higher at 3,290 lbs while the F350 is rated at 3,260 lbs. Not sure how to get the higher GVWR as listed at the website for the F350.

All the numbers above are using the Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 with 3.55 gear ratio and diesel engine.

If the F250 and F350 in the SRW are essentially identical trucks with the only differences being the things listed in the FAQ section (badging and bump stop), you can get the 10k GVWR on both, and I'm definitley not gettting the dually, what would be the reason to get the F350 over the F250? Still not sure where the 500 lb difference in max tow capabilites comes from. I guess it's just the different bump stops. Surely those bump stops don't justify a difference in price of $1020 as is depicted at the website when looking at the models and options page or the $720 difference when you go to the build your truck page... not sure why the differences in price from page to page could just be a simple error in the website... either way still trying to figure out the differences between the two...

I think I'm missing something...

Old 07-26-2011, 06:50 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Something you might not have thought of, you might want to look into how much you will be paying for registration on the 2 trucks.

I know these things vary from state to state, but here in MN an F-250 gets passenger vehicle registration (same as a car) and the fee is based on the vehicle's value. For each of the first 2 years the fee is 1.25% of the MSRP plus $10, so this comes to $635 a year for a $50K truck. (It sounds like the trucks you are looking at are around 50K if not more)

However, F-350s in MN get commercial truck registration, which is based on the GVWR. For my F-350 the fee is $125 a year, so just in the first 2 years the registration is over $1000 cheaper. The passenger vehicle rates do go down over time, but the F-350 registration remains cheaper until 10 years. At 10 years old, the passenger vehicle registration goes down to $35 a year, but the truck registration stays the same since it's based on the GVWR.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Boomer23059
Senior User
If you select the King Ranch, lots of other options are also automatically selected. That was one of the things I liked.

If you are getting a truck for work or hunting - where you'll be climbing into the cab sweaty and dirty, think twice about the KR. This is real leather that absorbs liquids and needs to be routinely cleaned and conditioned (I do it every 2 weeks). Your sweat will discolor it, but it dries back to the normal color.

I love my KR option, but I use the truck to pull a camper and pick up the occasional 2x4 at Lowe's.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:59 AM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In MA, over 10k GVWR makes it a commercial registration and a commercial inspection yearly. Passenger registration costs $49 for 4 years with yearly inspections of $29.
Commercial plates are $140 PER YEAR to register and the yearly inspection is roughly $125. As with other states, this is why Ford offers the 10k GVWR.

My next truck will be the bench in front becuase want more room for my family (two kids, two dogs) and that new console is $895 MSRP.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 AM
JimCantu
Junior User
Registration definitely is a little different from state to state. I'm currently in the military and move around so much, I don't think I could use that as justification on which one to get but it would be if I lived some where permanently.

I'm pretty decided against the KR. It's beautful but with two dogs and two young children who I swear work as testers for scotch guard stain resistance, and the fact that during hunting season my truck becomes hunting camp forward, I think I'll stick to the more durable and user friendly pleather.

I'm leaning more and more toward the bench seat but would still love to hear the opinions of those who have had both and any other pros and cons anyone can think of.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Have had both and like both for different reasons. We have Grandkids and need the 40/20/40 seat. The next truck we will opt for a console because the kids will be old enough to not want to go with Papa and Nana....

Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Just a note on the KR leather - the leather changed over the years. Up until '07 it was a very thick saddle leather (not sure what year was first for KR). Then in '08-'10 the leather is thinner, and has a treatment or coating on it that completely changed the look and feel. And if feels to me like they downgraded it again in the '11. In my personal opinion the KR leather is not nearly as durable these days.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:13 AM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding the 10k gvw option, I'm not sure why they have it on the F250. However on the F350, some may select the 10k gvw to avoid all the commercial vehicle hassles. If you're using the truck for personal use and towing a 5th wheel, you don't need that option. If you were a contractor though, you could order an F350 with the 10k option and fly under the radar, not having to do vehicle inspections, having to have DOT numbers, a medical card, stopping at weigh stations, etc. For personal use, it makes absolutely no difference as long as you're under 26k as you're not using the truck "for profit". If you plan on pulling a 5th wheel, I'd go for the highest weight rating and avoid the 10k option.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 PM
jimcam48
Freshman User
Be careful with payload. It will vary depending on your truck options.
Anything over a base model will decrease the rated payload.
The best thing is to find the exact model with the same options you want
and look at the B pillar sticker. Or post it on this forum and someone will have the info you need.

Also see this post:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tickers-4.html

Old 07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
JimCantu
Junior User
Originally Posted by wizardsr
If you plan on pulling a 5th wheel, I'd go for the highest weight rating and avoid the 10k option.

I thought the 10k GVWR option was the highest weight rating you can get at least in the F250.

Quick Reply: Questions concerning some 2011-12, F250 options specifically the bench seat, 10K GVWR and King Ranch