Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WON'T START @#$!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 AM
PADoubleX
Senior User
PADoubleX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
WON'T START @#$!!!

'05 6.0 72K Stock.

Been hotter than hell here in PA last couple of days. Today 107 degrees. Trucks ran fine, I was actually admiring how cool my trans was running all day.

Probably started truck 10X today. No problems.

Getting ready to leave work at 9PM today, it won't start. Cranks fine, doesn't even attempt to start.

My first guess is the FICM, however, I replaced that in April or so with one from Swamps. According to AE FICM has 52 V 12 V 12V all within range with the 52V being high, but that's its design.

No CEL

Pending codes

B1342 ECU is faulted. Overhead Console (I think)

Tired, freaking hot, just wanna get this day done. Ideas?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:05 AM
jh818
Postmaster
jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
Check your CPS?

Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Tailgate77478
Posting Guru
Tailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud of
I don't know if the 6.0's have the CPS issues like the 7.3's do...but that'd be a good guess on a 7.3, so maybe on yours too?

Also, one these diesels, it is not uncommon for the batteries to crank good one time...and the next it won't be strong enough to start. When they go out, they GO OUT! And unfortunately, you must replace both at the same time, even if the shop tells you only one is bad. Unlike most gas engines, you will rarely get the "slower crank" warning from your batteries. And you won't necessarily get a battery warning light either.

And speaking of batteries...it may be your alternator is not charging the batteries, if they're relatively new (under 2 years old). My #1 Excursion just had the alternator go out for the first time...after 11 years. Funny enough though, the truck stated just fine but the battery light was coming on while driving and when I put it on an Ohm meter, it was pushing *maybe* 9 volts. Lastly, if you find it IS your alternator needing to be replaced, make sure you fully charge up BOTH batteries on a trickle charger before starting it up with the new alternator...forcing the new alternator to charge up those batteries right away (while driving, as idling is not a high enough RPM to do so) shortens it's lifespan.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Depending on when your truck was manufactured, you may have a 2005 motor. If you do, 10 to 1 it's the STC fitting on your HPOP.

Let the truck cool completely down and try to restart. If it starts, you need to have the new STC fitting bracket installed.

If it still won't start:

1. Check your ICP while cranking. If it's not able to build enough pressure to start (500 psi minimum), move to step two.

2. Disconnect the ICP sensor on the passenger side valve cover (it's next to the Glow plug control module silver box with green and black connectors) and try to start the motor. If it starts, replace the sensor and move on.

If not, you may have other issues...(STC may have fallen completely off)

Old 07-23-2011, 09:45 PM
PADoubleX
Senior User
PADoubleX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Depending on when your truck was manufactured, you may have a 2005 motor. If you do, 10 to 1 it's the STC fitting on your HPOP.

Let the truck cool completely down and try to restart. If it starts, you need to have the new STC fitting bracket installed.

If it still won't start:

1. Check your ICP while cranking. If it's not able to build enough pressure to start (500 psi minimum), move to step two.

2. Disconnect the ICP sensor on the passenger side valve cover (it's next to the Glow plug control module silver box with green and black connectors) and try to start the motor. If it starts, replace the sensor and move on.

If not, you may have other issues...(STC may have fallen completely off)

ICP over 1000 psi

Disconnected ICP no difference.

STC?