1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

'98 Econoline Steering Slop...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM
86scotty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With that much play, I bet a steering box is your answer. Also, have you looked at the bolt on steering stabilizer fix? It won't solve your current problem but it is a good upgrade for the steering on these old rides.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,118 Posts
What makes you think the frame is out of square?

In some instances a slightly out-of-square frame can be compenstated for by a knowledgeable alignment guy but of course there are limits to that. At any rate during the alignment process this would be obvious and most would notify you of the condition.

I'm also thinking the Pitman arm test can be a good indication of excessive wear but it alone might not be the only thing noticable as the steering box racks up miles. Driving a lower miles E250 then mine with 120K more miles steering feel is very different, much "tighter" and none of the wandering with the lower miles.

I do run my LT tires at 70 psi front and rear but might lower that to 65 and see if that improves anything. Otherwise I'm sure I'm looking at a new box-----not that much all things considered.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Well what makes me think the frame is not square is I was driving behind it when my father drove it to Dick Strang Automotive, where we get it serviced, and I noticed that the rear end was more to the right than the left, and also, it always has to be aimed to the right or it will drift over to the left. I know that may be an issue with the steering box but, the wheels are straight when the steering wheels is straight too. Our guy Dick has Larry do work on our van and I don't like the guy. For instance, we got a rear A/C problem, and he won't work on it because it is too much work to remove the second row of seats. I told my Dad" Aww poor baby, maybe we should pay the man for his effort" (sarcastically). I believe that Dick is a good guy but Larry is looking out for his paycheck and himself over anything.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:53 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,118 Posts
Ya know I'm not sure what's up with some mechanics but too many seem to shy away from our vans-----the reasons elude me. I've found great luck suspension and alignment-wise taking it to a heavy truck shop----to them a van is almost like a toy, probably easy money compared to the big stuff they deal with daily.

Your described condition sounds like "dog tracking" where the rear wheels aren't square under the frame--that could be from any number of things mostly relating to the mounting points; springs etc etc. Even so a good alignment guy can compensate for that but they'll typically recommend getting everything aligned to the vehicle's "thrust line".

While your normal mechanic might be good for most things a single visit to a dedicated frame/spring/alignment shop saves time, money and aggravation. Having own Ford vans for about the past 12 years I'll never again take one anyplace else for such work.

Hope you get this sorted out-----its no end of frustration I know!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Ya know I'm not sure what's up with some mechanics but too many seem to shy away from our vans-----the reasons elude me. I've found great luck suspension and alignment-wise taking it to a heavy truck shop----to them a van is almost like a toy, probably easy money compared to the big stuff they deal with daily.

Your described condition sounds like "dog tracking" where the rear wheels aren't square under the frame--that could be from any number of things mostly relating to the mounting points; springs etc etc. Even so a good alignment guy can compensate for that but they'll typically recommend getting everything aligned to the vehicle's "thrust line".

While your normal mechanic might be good for most things a single visit to a dedicated frame/spring/alignment shop saves time, money and aggravation. Having own Ford vans for about the past 12 years I'll never again take one anyplace else for such work.

Hope you get this sorted out-----its no end of frustration I know!
I absolutley agree, I'll do what I can for my own benefit and for the longevity of the van.