1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Supplier Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Supplier Quality

Hey, need some input here. Been restoring this '54 F-100 from the ground up, and am getting down to the nitty gritty. Getting ready to make major parts purchases and have been comparing supplier "a" to supplier "b" on prices, and such.

Mid-Fifty> I know they're stuff is good, and prices are comparable

Dennis Carpenter> supplies most everyone, but expensive, good quality

MAC'S> Good prices, parts are good

Concours Parts> Great prices, great quality

LMC> I have no personal experience, but some great prices on some items I need

Any thoughts one way or another on any of them? I used Concours Parts, MAC'S, and Mid Fifty, and am thoroughly impressed with the quality, and like most of their prices. I did a comparison, and will save a lot by going with LMC, but have no prior experience. I will be ready to spend $2000 in the next couple days, and am down to painting the truck, and putting it back together.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:50 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
From what I've read, a lot of guys are happy with LMC, but at least as many have been unhappy with the quality of the stuff they sell. Your mileage may vary. It seems they tend to lean toward the lowest common denominator, and sell price over quality. It's a good bet if 3 companies sell the same part for pennies difference, and one company beats them all by 30%, it's not the same part.

Personally, I would go with the people that have what I'm looking for, give me great service, and feel comfortable that I'm going to get the best parts available, without having to guess or feel I'm 'taking a chance'. If I do most of my dealings with one company and buy in bulk, I'll save in shipping the difference in parts prices, if there is any.

My 2c.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's kind of what I was feeling. It appears, though, that LMC is selling DC parts, like rubber, and such, for less than everyone else. Is it possible they are selling knock offs as actual DC parts?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I do not recommend buying rubber from Lmc....I used it on my F-1 ad it is crap. I bought it a while before I needed it, or I would have sent it back. I haven't bought any DC rubber for awhile, but don't remember it being that bad....
I also avoid anything made by Vintique, like window channel....total junk.

Bottom line, buy from a vendor that is easy to deal with and inquire about their return policy before you buy...

Old 06-29-2011, 03:21 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have purchased many items over the past 2 years from all the big name vendors. I have a love/hate thing with LMC. Personally on certain items LMC is cheaper but I have had issues with returns and customer service. They also tend to be very generic in their descriptions of items so if you order make sure the item you need is the item you are ordering.

I love Mid-Fifty because they work hard. Never had a phone call unanswered. They have repeatedly dug through the details and looked at the part to make sure what I needed was the part I ordered. Unlike LMC their staff can pull the part off the shelf and tell you what's what. Yes, their prices can be higher on certain things but the service is great.

Macs has some great prices but honestly they seem to delay shipping items. I can put an order in on Wednesday and it doesn't ship until the following Monday. That bothers me.

I have bought from Dennis Carpenter. Not too impressed with customer support.

National Parts Depot has some great prices and multiple warehouses nationwide. Obsolete in Oklahoma has been good to me.

One key thing - shipping. If shipping large items across the country, the closer vendor will be a better choice. I hate paying an extra $15 to UPS because the vendor I bought from is across the country. UPS works on ZONES and each additional zone costs you money.

Look around, check out each vendor, their prices, applicable taxes, and shipping costs and take it from there. Remember, there are only so many manufacturers of parts but many vendors selling those parts. You can order the same item from 10 different places and they are still all made by one manufacturer. Just the nature of the industry. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
There's also Classic Parts in Oklahoma City. Formerly Obsolete Ford Parts.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've bought most of my parts from Mid-Fifties. They have a good better and best in their catalog the way they list things and are VERY helpful. If you have a problem they WILL take care of it. I havent bought much stuff in a long time but I'm getting ready to build another truck ('56 panel) and I'm goin to buy from Sy again. There's another place too called Hot-Rod's in OH and they are awesome people to deal with too. They are also like Mid-Fifties and will take care of you. I like dealing with folks who know what its like to turn loose of hard earned money. Both places will treat you right. I have just dealt with Sy in years gone by and am just loyal to her.

My 2cents worth