1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DFCM Warning Light and Engine Restriction

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:58 PM
Doc08
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DFCM Warning Light and Engine Restriction

What’s going on everyone? I’m looking for some advice on an issue I just came across. Driving to the store this evening, the DFCM warning light came on with the message to drain it due to water. After I got home and a quick flip through the manual I went to move my truck under the carport because it’s been storming. When I got under I realized the sensor wasn’t even connected to the housing. I plugged that in then I loosened the plug and drained it into a clear mason jar. There was maybe 5CCs of water. While I was moving it from under the carport another message came across the cluster saying that the engine power was being restricted and the DFCM message was still there. I parked then waited 30 minutes and drained it again, this time with no water. Is it normal for the engine to be restricted when there is (or the sensor thinks there is) a large amount of water in the housing? Secondly, what would be causing these warnings when there’s no water there to begin with? Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 06-13-2018, 04:39 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts
The water in fuel (WIF) is nothing more than 2 metal prong in the DFCM. Water will make an electrical circuit when both prongs of the WIF are covered. Diesel fuel is not electrically conductive. With the plug off, enough water was able to get into the disconnected plug to turn on the WIF lamp. I would spray the connector with something like WD40.

Not sure why the reduced engine power. Maybe someone else knows.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,437 Likes on 1,028 Posts
The reduced power in this case is a hard one. Scan the pcm for codes and then report back.

I may just be due to the water that you have now taken care of. When have you changed the filters?

Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 AM
Doc08
New User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
The water in fuel (WIF) is nothing more than 2 metal prong in the DFCM. Water will make an electrical circuit when both prongs of the WIF are covered. Diesel fuel is not electrically conductive. With the plug off, enough water was able to get into the disconnected plug to turn on the WIF lamp. I would spray the connector with something like WD40.

Not sure why the reduced engine power. Maybe someone else knows.

As I was typing this I wondered if that was the case. I have no clue how long that’s been disconnected or how it even happened. I assumed (hoped more than anything) that both problems were from the sensor coming off.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 AM
Doc08
New User
Originally Posted by senix
The reduced power in this case is a hard one. Scan the pcm for codes and then report back.

I may just be due to the water that you have now taken care of. When have you changed the filters?

I’ll have to do that when I get home this evening. Along with all my digging last night, I see that I’m also behind the ball on changing the fuel filters. That will have to be done this weekend.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Doc08
New User
I spoke with my dealership about the issue and it seems to be on them. They actually changed my fuel filters in April (guess I forgot about that) and the tech said he may not have connected the sensor properly. I left the sensor unplugged all day to try and dry it out. Plugged it back in and the warnings are gone. I’ll still be taking it in to make them check everything and ensure they didn’t screw something up in the process of all this.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:21 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Good idea, they can then scan for codes and clear them/document the issue as their fault.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Willworldchamp
New User
The loss of power is normal

Once the warning comes on you have around 30 minutes before the computer will begin to reduce power to help protect the engine.

I removed the water separator when I replaced the pump system with a FASS fuel system last summer. I just took the electrical connects and tucked them into the frame of the truck and never thought about it again.

Until i I hit spring and I got the same set of messages one extremely rainy day. I rushed to check my fuel pump and the water separator clean with diesel. I then remembered the connections could possible shorting in the plug giving me the message so I decided to drive home knowing all was good about half way though my truck gave the message that it was going to reduce power and it did.

Once I got home I was able to take the wife’s hair dryer dry the plug and all the warning reset and went away. After that I taped and then used epoxy the plug to keep the plug dry and for two years no problems since.

If the ford tech didn’t put the plug back in correctly that would be your source of the problem and you have had some wet road conditions.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:26 PM
Jpeeps
1st Gear
Hey guys having the same problem. Is the sensor plug you guys mentioned under the truck by the filter drain? Let me know would be much appreciated

Old 05-01-2024, 10:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Jpeeps
Hey guys having the same problem. Is the sensor plug you guys mentioned under the truck by the filter drain? Let me know would be much appreciated
it is right there and connected to the lower part that contains the filtet