1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Also floor jacks. If they've changed the style or no longer make that style then the give you one that is as close to it as possible.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:22 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Snap-On, Mac, and Craftsman all will replace a broken tool without a receipt.....I've had the same experience that Moe has had with Snap-on.....if you see a truck at parked at a repair shop & stop by with your broken tools, they don't want much to do with you. I did make a stink once in a truck loud enough for the mechanics who were there to hear....at which point the salesman exchanged my tools and sent me on my way.

They all consider broken chrome to be "broken" since it can give you a nasty cut....so the beat up wrenches at the flea market are usually fair game for an immediate exchange.

Dan

Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Big IV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dan
They all consider broken chrome to be "broken" since it can give you a nasty cut....so the beat up wrenches at the flea market are usually fair game for an immediate exchange.
I haven't done that in a while. I picked up several wrenches at flea markets and then went straight to the trade them in. Good times.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Big IV
Senior User
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz
For most of what they make there is a lifetime guarantee that if it breaks you return it to Sears for exchange. No questions asked.

Exceptions are electronic tools, shop lights, motorcycle jacks and torque wrenches. (That I have found, so far.)
If you look for the new guy on the counter some will change out torque wrenches before anyone tells them any different. I have a new torque wrench!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
I ONCE TOOK A SKILL SAW BACK CAUSE THE BLADE GOT DULL. LOL

Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
I ONCE TOOK A SKILL SAW BACK CAUSE THE BLADE GOT DULL. LOL
I worked at Sears, Roebuck & Co years ago in highschool... We had a guy bring back a circular saw ...said it wouldn't cut at all... he had the blade in BACKWARDS....

Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
I think most of our members if under 30 don't remember Sears as a customer service oriented store. here's a true Sears story that I took part in...

The tool thread and the Craftsman reference reminds me of an experience from several years ago. I worked part time in the lawn maintenance business for one of the nicest men I'll ever know... soft spoken, even tempered and easy to deal with. When one of the mowers broke down we fixed it on the job. This particular time we were using a Craftsman 3/8" ratchet to try and break loose a nut that was way too large for the ratchet. The ratchet gears failed of course. On the way back to the shop we stopped at Sears to get a replacement. My boss asked very nicely for a replacement for the broken ratchet. The clerk looked at the well worn tool and started his "abused" speech. My boss listened patiently to him, remarked that it wasn't abused but just well used, he smiled, thanked him and we left. I was puzzled and asked him why he didn't press the clerk for a new ratchet. He just said quietly.... " I'll get my ratchet tomorrow"

The next day, when I showed up for work, the truck was loaded with toolboxes. I mean LOADED ! two large rollaround boxes, at least 4 intermediate boxes and three or 4 top boxes. The boss simply said we had to run by Sears. I hooked up the trailer, loaded equipment and off we went. When we arrived at Sears, he unhooked the trailer and asked me to help him unload the tools. We rolled off the rollarounds, stacked all the others on top and we headed for the tool department. He made one trip, I made two..

When the clerk, (the same from the day before) asked what was going on, my boss just said " I'd like to see the Department Manager". The clerk started some B.S. about the manager was busy and he could take care of us, but the boss said a little stronger " Then I would like to see the Store Manager". I think the clerk knew he meant business this time.

The manager arrived shortly and asked if he could help. My boss told him of the problem with the clerk the day before and showed him the ratchet. The manager asked him about all the other tools. My boss simply pointed to the gold leaf writing above the front door of the store that said "Sears, Roebuck & Co. Satisfaction Guaranteed Or Your Money Back" and said "I'm not satisfied with Craftsman tools any longer, I'd like my money back." Honestly there must have been $10,000 worth of tools there. The look on the Manager and clerks face was worth what the tools cost. The manager, somewhat taken back started "But sir, surely..." My boss interrupted saying " I'd like my money back, please".

After some discussion they finally arrived at a solution. The ratchet would be replaced, the clerk would load all the tools back on our truck and the manager agreed to explain to the clerk about customers and what the words above the door meant, while my boss stood by quietly and listened. He never had a problem with Sears again

A hard way to prove a point but I think the manager and especially the clerk learned a good lesson.

So I say......ask for what is owed to you.

john

Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'd hate try to run a business where people were taking advantage of a policy like that. My son worked at Sears and people would bring in screwdrivers that were used as chisels and prybars, breaker bars used as hammers, sockets used to drive bearings, every kind of abuse on earth and they'd demand a replacement. If the policy gets abused to the point they can't replace the stuff that legitimately breaks, where will we be? I've only had two sockets crack and one Phillips tip break in 40+ yrs of Craftsman tools.

There was a great thread on the HAMB about Sears' policies for their employees who do military service, and some of the other community stuff they do. They get my business just for those kinds of things.

Edit: Wow, not ten minutes later, I saw this article which talks about Sears: http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...ppear-2012-247

Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad news guys,

1. I have noticed that Sears has become a lot less customer friendly since they were bought by Kmart.
2. Sears' enventory on tools has been steadily shrinking over the last couple of years.
3. Today I read an article in the internet that picks the top ten businesses to fail in 2012. Sears is one of the ten!

How sad. Jag