1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 614 Likes on 381 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
...(I think it's just a little nuts that you actually have pictures of your tool drawers. You guys would kill Zack).

Ben in Austin
It's for insurance documentation. I also have a decent list and narrated video of what's in the garage. If you can't prove you had it, and it gets stolen, the insurance guys are just going to say "yeah, right..." when you claim 300+ US-made sockets, 3 welders, etc. I figure I have well over $5k in tools, including the welders and compressor. I'm not interested in eating that kind of money because some crackhead needs a fix!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
It's for insurance documentation. I also have a decent list and narrated video of what's in the garage. If you can't prove you had it, and it gets stolen, the insurance guys are just going to say "yeah, right..." when you claim 300+ US-made sockets, 3 welders, etc. I figure I have well over $5k in tools, including the welders and compressor. I'm not interested in eating that kind of money because some crackhead needs a fix!

Wow....I'm thinking that I'll keep your photos for insurance documentation too!!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:30 AM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My $.02 is this: before you spend money, look at the task closely. You might not have the tool that is made for the job, but you maight have something that can be used in a little diffrent way and achieve the same results. Of course you need to keep safety in mind when doing this.

There was a thread on the HAMB (I think) about making your own tools. It had some pretty neat stuff in it.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
LOL John? Do you use those tools or are they just for show? LOL

jeff... some of them I've had for over 30 years or more... I do use them, maybe not daily but they do get used, just cleaned and put away afterwards...

I also can't pass up a good deal on something I don't have either.

j

btw... check this link to garagejournal.com their thread is "let's see your tool box"..... 5165 posts and over 1.2 million views... some of these guys collection make mine look like a beginners tool set... they are way past obsessive

Let's see your toolbox. - The Garage Journal Board

Old 06-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, this thread has struck a nerve with me. I have to admit it. I have a problem. I am a screwdriver-holic!

For about twenty years I have been buying more and more screw drivers. I love going to swap meets and garage sales and buying screw drivers. Most cost me $.25 or less. A few have been just given to me for free! Most are Craftsman. I just take them back to Sears or OSH and trade for new ones. I currently have 47 screw drivers and am looking for more. If anybody has a cure, please let me know. I need help! Jag

Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 PM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cure, why do you think you need a cure? LOL John

Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Big IV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a cheap air compressor then you'll need really good air tools. The cheap compressors don't always have the pressure range that they are supposed to, but even more problematic is that cheap air tools usually require more air as they break in.

Just my two cents.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 614 Likes on 381 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dan
Wow....I'm thinking that I'll keep your photos for insurance documentation too!!
LOL!! I'm using John's!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
jeff... some of them I've had for over 30 years or more... I do use them, maybe not daily but they do get used, just cleaned and put away afterwards...

I also can't pass up a good deal on something I don't have either.

j

btw... check this link to garagejournal.com their thread is "let's see your tool box"..... 5165 posts and over 1.2 million views... some of these guys collection make mine look like a beginners tool set... they are way past obsessive

Let's see your toolbox. - The Garage Journal Board
just kidding around John...jealousy will get me nowhere

Old 06-21-2011, 10:10 PM
2J54Ford
New User
I'll have to take some pictures of my boxes. All my Snap-on gear is up at work but alot of the shop tools and stuff like that made it home when they closed up after I left. I will say though that in those pics you look almost as bad as me when it comes to toolbox organization. One thing out of place and I'm going crazy :lol:

Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dan
I started out as a young airplane mechanic with no money and crap tools. When I started in a shop my boss insisted that we use good quality tools....they are more compact and they don't break as much....also, they don't damage the hardware nearly as much as the cheap sockets or wrenches that spread out and round off bolts (not to mention that you can get hurt when a socket breaks at the wrong time). So...I bought a mix of Mac and Snap-On tools. Since I don't work in a shop anymore, I have to hunt down a Mac or Snap-On truck if I break a tool. That being the case, I started buying the Craftsman tools, which are usually manufactured by Proto. I can get the warranty at Sears or now..Ace hardware.

I have found a lot of Snap-On stuff at garage sales and flea markets over the years.

Dan
Like Dan, I buy at garage sells, flea markets, craigslist, and pawn shops... the only thing is I look for the Craftsman as I can go into Sears to exchange them... Snap-On Dealers don't like to deal with ya unless you work in their route... and some wont do it unless you bought it from them...

Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Guys, this thread has struck a nerve with me. I have to admit it. I have a problem. I am a screwdriver-holic!

For about twenty years I have been buying more and more screw drivers. I love going to swap meets and garage sales and buying screw drivers. Most cost me $.25 or less. A few have been just given to me for free! Most are Craftsman. I just take them back to Sears or OSH and trade for new ones. I currently have 47 screw drivers and am looking for more. If anybody has a cure, please let me know. I need help! Jag
It time to chance to sockets! Then wrenches! Well keep udate as you go threw the list... LOL

Old 06-22-2011, 01:06 AM
F1Jayhawk
New User
What's this Craftsman return deal everyone talks about?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
For most of what they make there is a lifetime guarantee that if it breaks you return it to Sears for exchange. No questions asked.

Exceptions are electronic tools, shop lights, motorcycle jacks and torque wrenches. (That I have found, so far.)

Old 06-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sears also will not take back tape measures if there is dirt inside. and recently, they refused to take back my mitre box. But, they are still exchanging screw drivers. Jag

Quick Reply: Tools