General Automotive Discussion

HOWZAT??? Define "TRUCK"? You gotta be kidding...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HOWZAT??? Define "TRUCK"? You gotta be kidding...

OKAY - ALL RIGHT! WHAT IS A TRUCK!

YOU TELL ME

(please make sticky)

Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see trouble here. Before the fur starts flying, here's my first "truck" and my latest "truck". Both Fords, both fun to drive both trucks by my definition.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Yeah - but I mean (consider me a brain wiped electro-shocked patient with no clues...)

WHAT MAKES THEM TRUCKS?

Good question, when it gets STARED at that way, isn't it?

DEFINE TRUCK

How come that is different in some way?

no - you won't get off that easily

For example:
WHY IS AN EXCURSION NOT A STATION WAGON?

What is the fundamental difference that seperates a "MOTORCAR" from a "TRUCK"?

*I bet this gets real interesting. I bet the answer is from the early 1900's

Old 06-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Well, I think of trucks as something that can be used as a commercial vehicle. How about panel trucks? Early '30's sedan deliveries are technically trucks by that definition. While Excursions can tow well, I don't see many hauling stuff inside. So with that, I guess it needs to have a cargo area to be a real truck. Either that or a gun rack, LOL!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:27 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
thirties saloons had gun racks - but that was mostly in chicago

Besides - hunting deer with a Thompson would be unsporting...

At some point, the "AUTO-MOBILE" took two different directions.
One was CAR
We have the word "CAR" from the shortening of the word "CARRIAGE".
MOTOR CARRIAGES were an adaptation of the early engines to HORSE DRAWN CARRIAGES back in the day...

~ The other was TRUCK!
(?)

DEFINE "TRUCK"

Why is that the word we have for a vehicle like these? Where did the word come from?

*RAILROAD cars also have "TRUCKS". That's what the wheel and axle assemblies are called at each end of the cars. They pre-date motor cars, but is that the end of the tale?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck= Peterbilt 379 extended hood, Cat power, big sleeper and all the goodies and just enough chrome and shiny aluminum. Don't want to spend all my time polishing.

Then let it sit in the driveway so I can look at it and remind myself why I don't want drive truck anymore.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:48 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
Here ya are, according to Mr. Webster.

truck
noun
Definition of TRUCK
: a small wheel; specifically : a small strong wheel for a gun carriage
: a small wooden cap at the top of a flagstaff or masthead usually having holes for reeving flag or signal halyards
: a wheeled vehicle for moving heavy articles: as a : a strong horse-drawn or automotive vehicle (as a pickup) for hauling b : a small barrow consisting of a rectangular frame having at one end a pair of handles and at the other end a pair of small heavy wheels and a projecting edge to slide under a load —called also hand truck c : a small heavy rectangular frame supported on four wheels for moving heavy objects d : a small flat-topped car pushed or pulled by hand e : a shelved stand mounted on casters f : an automotive vehicle with a short chassis equipped with a swivel for attaching a trailer and used especially for the highway hauling of freight; also : a truck with attached trailer
a British : an open railroad freight car b : a swiveling carriage consisting of a frame with one or more pairs of wheels and springs to carry and guide one end (as of a railroad car) in turning sharp curves

Old 06-19-2011, 12:18 PM
kentuckyredneck
Senior User
Maybe you should specify as in a pickup-truck?

Old 06-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
If you read some of the many, many argumentative-style posts on "real" trucks, in this whole site (for example: PSD vs V10) you'll see lots of guys only seem to consider their type of truck the only real truck. Real trucks burn diesel, real trucks don't have short beds, real trucks get muddy, and so it goes. Bullstuff. I've owned various makes and models and drivetrain configurations of trucks since '78 and they've all been "real trucks". For example, anyone not consider the lowly Chevy S10 a real truck? I used to own on and I can tell you firsthand that thing went places no diesel truck could ever go, all without drama or breakage, or even being maintained for that matter. I used to own a dropped GMC extra cab with a V6 and it spent most of it's life under a car cover, waxed and in the garage. But during the time I owned it, at various times it hauled my bike, drums of racing gas, plywood, sheetrock, firewood, towed our trailer and hauled my dogs to the beach. It also hauled my son home from the hospital when he was born. How about my Suburban? Is it not a truck? With the rear seat removed (it unclips easily) it has near the capacity of a shortbed pickup. I've used it to haul furniture, parts for my car projects, muddy dogs and stuff from the local builder's supply that darn sure won't fit in any car I know of. Yes, I know some guys haul stuff in their cars that I wouldn't but all the stuff I ever hauled in my Suburban didn't damage it, can't say that for my boss's Ford Focus when he hauled driveshafts in it for his side business. Trucks are like fancy art, I may not know the definition, but I know it when I see it.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 06-19-2011, 02:30 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
That's a truck. A hand truck.

This is a truck also. A railroad car (or engine) truck.

File:Railroad truck,FM55-20.Fig8-8.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Don't forget the truk on top of the flagpole. It contains (in the army {BTW, the garrison flag is ALWAYS located at BLDG 1 on ALL army posts}), 1 each 45 cal or 9mm round (whatever the CSM is carrying), 1 each razor blade and 1 each match (strike anywhere).
All kinds of trucks out there

Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Greywolf

For example:
WHY IS AN EXCURSION NOT A STATION WAGON?

According to the DMV, an Excursion IS a station wagon.

Excluding hand trucks, flagpole devices, etc. let us talk just about motor vehicles.

I guess it needs to have a cargo area to be a real truck.
We had two Dodge vans back in the sixties, a Sportsman with a back seat and windows all around, registered as a station wagon and an A100 with no windows or seats aft of the front row, registered commercial. A Ford example would be Club Wagon vs Econoline.

I cant find the pertinent code section right now, but the term "Pickup Truck" is mentioned several times under the term "Commercial Vehicle", related to weight fees, as is the mention of "Station Wagon".

Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 PM
kentuckyredneck
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
According to the DMV, an Excursion IS a station wagon.

Excluding hand trucks, flagpole devices, etc. let us talk just about motor vehicles.

We had two Dodge vans back in the sixties, a Sportsman with a back seat and windows all around, registered as a station wagon and an A100 with no windows or seats aft of the front row, registered commercial. A Ford example would be Club Wagon vs Econoline.

I cant find the pertinent code section right now, but the term "Pickup Truck" is mentioned several times under the term "Commercial Vehicle", related to weight fees, as is the mention of "Station Wagon".
Not relevant. Californistan's motor vehicle laws are stupid commie crap and not relevant anywhere else. A 1/2 ton pickup is not a commercial truck. Most states don't even consider a 1-ton pickup a commercial truck.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
my DMV considers my trucks all "light trucks" and only one of them has a bed

Quick Reply: HOWZAT??? Define "TRUCK"? You gotta be kidding...