Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Before you beef up your engine...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Before you beef up your engine...

Just passing on, finished having a "Wicked Wheel" and some other improvements done on my engine (thanks again Clay). Transmission decided after a matter of just a few miles that it didn't like the additional HP and torque and wouldn't shift beyond 2nd gear. Looks like it will need a rebuild also. Just passing this on for those that are thinking of doing the same, make sure the tranny is up to it! (I think it was due anyway, have 163,000 on it)

Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats exactly why i did the BTS first! noticed everyone adding power to the motor quickly blew the trans......

Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm assuming no trans mods per your sig, VB or Transgo shift kits, exct. ??? Its a hit or miss but some minor trans mods might have bought you some more time.. I'm hoping that with my JW VB. Good luck to yaa, interested on who does the rebuild..

Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by indyF-350psd
thats exactly why i did the BTS first! noticed everyone adding power to the motor quickly blew the trans......
Think that's the smart way to go. Was planning on doing that next, didn't think I was adding that much or pushing it too hard, but for a couple miles the stock setting felt like 80E

Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 PM
DieselHardware
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What all did you do? Have you done very much heavy towing? A wicked wheel won't add power, just helps with surge.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Bitterbeard
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[edit] Ah yes, these transmission mods you are referring to kind sirs.

JWVB install:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ed-a-jwvb.html

BTS is an entire transmission replacement, need to know if I can get them in AZ or a John Wood.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
I'm assuming no trans mods per your sig, VB or Transgo shift kits, exct. ??? Its a hit or miss but some minor trans mods might have bought you some more time.. I'm hoping that with my JW VB. Good luck to yaa, interested on who does the rebuild..
I'd like to think the JWVB is what bought me all the extra time. I ran about 35,000 miles with the DP & JWVB installed. When my tranny let go I had 158K on the truck. I wouldn't blame it on the xtra power, I blame it on being USED most of it's life. My rebuilt tranny is holding up nicely

Trending Topics

Old 06-17-2011, 01:57 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Id say you had some underlying issue regarding your trans. I cant see anything in your sig that would destroy a tranny.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by UP_There
I wouldn't blame it on the xtra power, I blame it on being USED most of it's life. My rebuilt tranny is holding up nicely
Yea think you're right, just interesting that mine decided to crap out within a couple miles coming home from the shop...

Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Bitterbeard
[edit] Ah yes, these transmission mods you are referring to kind sirs.

JWVB install:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ed-a-jwvb.html

BTS is an entire transmission replacement, need to know if I can get them in AZ or a John Wood.

Last spring my trans went out. Called BTS on a Monday afternoon, he shipped me one on that Tuesday, had it on my garage floor on Wed.

(He has a few lined up at his shop ready to ship out, what the long timeline on making an appointment to see him is when you want 'your' transmission re-built while you wait for your truck at his shop. There are a few appointments in front of you and you have to get in line. If your trans will 'hold' out it is better to visit him as this will save on shipping costs and installation costs. He is also able to 'fine' tune your trans to your liking, on the spot, with different shift plates, ect.)

Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed - sounds like it was a coincidence to me Trent. Are you going to go the BTS route or are you gonna try someone local? In Sioux Falls - Jerry at J&M Transmission rebuilt mine for my Excursion and replaced the main support bearing in my F-250 last year when the fluid analysis came back showing high wear metals. He was very knowledgeable about the 4R100 and showed me all the upgrades that were done to my tranny and what he recommended be replaced when he had it opened up on the bench. Fixed her up and sent me out the door with a 100,000 mile/3 year warranty and said go ahead and try and brake it now......fulling knowing how I drive and at what power levels/loads. I know he ships trannies to Brookings, Mitchel, Huron, etc.....

Nobody has the reputation that BTS and John Woods do but, you know as well as I do there are tons of these trucks running around farms and ranches in South Dakota - you might be able to find someone local.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:12 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Do a fluid change first, it can't hurt.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

One thing I forgot to mention was the reason I had in the shop was it had no boost. They dropped the tank and replaced the in tank filters. Very plugged. I had also put new boots on before taking it in. Anyway, engine wise it made a huge difference in power, and I think that is what pushed the tranny over the edge.
I have it at Rapid Diesel now. They use John Wood valve body I believe. Anyway their warranty is 3/36,000. Sounds like they really beef it up. Looking into Logan's here too, they did a great job on my wife's Diesel Bug...

Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trent, do you think running the bio helped clog up the mixing chamber in the stock fuel pick up? That unit can become restricted easily. Have you thought about replacing the stock fuel foot & mixing chamber with the intnk & pre pump mods or will that not work with your bio setup?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Yea it looked to be a lot of rust sediment that the bio dissolved. Kind of like what ethanol does to older gas tanks... Also looked to possibly be some glycerine or Magnesol? from before I started filtering to 1 micron. My bio is quite a bit clearer than when I first started.

Might look at doing those mods you mentioned down the road, sounds like a good idea.

Quick Reply: Before you beef up your engine...