Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 running rough, missing, no power

Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Brad Ramthun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 running rough, missing, no power

2000 F250, 7.3, 170K, running rough, knocking loudly, missing, shaking, no power to get up driveway, intermittent, no codes spit out at all. No smoke visible, no leaks visible, New fuel filter, air filter, update cam sensor, new fuel rail lift pump, new uvc harness, new glow plug relay.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you turn the key do you hear the fuel pump run?

Old 06-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Brad Ramthun
New User
Yes and pulled of fuel bowl cover, pumped good, didn't sputtered or anything that looked like air in the lines.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:43 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't believe you don't have any fault codes.. what kind of scanner are you using.. It must be compatible to our 7.3l.. Are you getting Service Engine Light ?
A Big welcome to the Forum..!!

Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE...may want to put your Location into your profile in case there is someone close to you who is willing to help!

Did you check the fuel bowl itself to make sure the filter isn't clogged, or there isn't any debris in the bottom of the fuel bowl?

Also, it could be one of your UVCH wiring harnesses has come loose. The "50 Cent" mod will fix it.

Also, how full is your fuel tank? I hate harping on this, but Mueckster and I found out that my truck was doing this because the plastic mixing funnel in the tank had broken, therefore there was several inches of space between the fuel pick-up tube and the bottom of the tank. If I got much below a 1/4 tank, your symptoms were exactly what happened (and the truck would die). I have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM on my "new" Excursion, so I will bet a dime to a donut-hole it happened again on this other truck.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
You state you have a new UVCH, but it may not be making good connections. I would check it again.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Sheldon Plankton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brad Ramthun
...no codes spit out at all.....
But is the check engine light on? If it is, you need a different scanner. These trucks aren't OBD II compliant and most scanners don't work.

If the light isn't on, and it's running like crap, then you probably have a fuel pressure problem because these trucks don't monitor fuel pressure. Unfortunately, the fact that it looks like it "pumped good" doesn't really mean much. You need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge and go from there. Most likely your in-tank filter screens are clogged. Do a search for "harpoon" or "in-tank mods". You'll see what I mean.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 PM
leekingen
Senior User
welcudm to fte. join the minnesota chapter. ther maybe some one close to you that can help you.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Brad Ramthun
New User
The connections paper good on the new uvc harness. The SES light does stay on when running rough tried to pull codes but none were evident, had mechanic try also no luck. Will try to find fuel pressure gauge and test, will try to find another code reader. Any recommendations on either?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Post up where you are located.We may have someone close to you with a AE or scanner that will work on the 7.3.Internet fixes are tough when we cannot see codes with engine troubles.The symptoms are sure pointing to the UVCH.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad Ramthun
The connections paper good on the new uvc harness. The SES light does stay on when running rough tried to pull codes but none were evident, had mechanic try also no luck. Will try to find fuel pressure gauge and test, will try to find another code reader. Any recommendations on either?
If the SES light is on, then you have some stored codes. You'll need a quality scanner to retrieve the codes. Some of us have AE because it works on our laptops and is reasonably priced for what you get. Pulling your codes is a good way to close in on the issue otherwise you'll be throwing parts at the problem and hope something does the trick.

From what I have read, it really sounds like you have a fuel pickup problem in the tank. An easy way to confirm or rule it out is to get a can of diesel and some fuel hose and plumb it to the feed side of your fuel filter and see if your engine idles better.

Or...

You can cycle the key about 4 or 5 times before starting the engine. Turn the key on without starting and wait for the fuel pump to time out. Then repeat about 4 more times and then start the engine. If the knock is gone and the engine idles fine before the symptoms return (usually after about 30-45 seconds ish...) then you probably have a blockage in the tank.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Brad Ramthun
New User
I live in Eagan, MN, I will try to find an AE scanner.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 PM
leekingen
Senior User
brad check in to the minnesota chapter and post your problem,we can hellp you.thear are several members close to you.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Brad Ramthun
New User
All- I removed sediment and grime from the bottom of the fuel bowl, replaced two flexible fuel lines off of steel lines off of fuel bowl, reverersed the rubber gaskets on the steel lines. The trucks been running like a champ for three days. My fingers are still crossed but thanks to all for the information.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM
leekingen
Senior User
good deal brad i think you got it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7.3 running rough, missing, no power