6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No power on cold start HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM
OverHeight
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No power on cold start HELP!

For sometime now (4-5 months) I have no to little power when accelerating when cold. Once the vehicle starts warming up the problem goes away. Basically I put my foot into it and the RPM goes up slowly (like im at quarter power) and the transmission dosn't shift.

I had the turbo rebuilt in January and the fuel pump replaced shortly after that, both under warranty. The dealer "thinks" it might be the injectors. They say they have done every test they can think of. No codes, nothing. The warranty company dosn't want to go good for injectors if there is no proof.

Any help would be much appreciated.

160,000km (100,000 miles) on truck. FICM was replaced at 119,000km (74,000 miles)

Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Roasted7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer should be able to tell if you have bad injectors and which ones. Does it run ruff when you first start it cold? Have they checked the ICP sensor? Have you checked for a clogged egr valve? Tell the dealer to show some proof if they want to get paid!!

Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 PM
BobsF350
Elder User
isnt that a Stiction problem

Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM
73stang
Junior User
I had the same problem as you. Do you also have a rough idle when the truck is cold? Is there some white smoke too, especially when you raise the rpm? If so then you may have stiction

If its not the FICM, no injector codes, not the EGR valve or a failing EGR cooler (have you checked EOT vs ECT?) Then it could be Injector stiction

You may wan to try to add Rev-x oil additive to help with the stiction (worked for me ) Also synthetic oil and lighter wieght oil like 5w40 could help too

Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

You just described my truck. I'm sure mine is the injectors, I tried to do a power balance test with my Auto Enginuity, I'm not very good with it, but it said 3 injectors were bad. Did your dealer do a power balance test?
I tried rev-x , it didn't work for me, but it has for lots of others. Well worth a try.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 PM
73stang
Junior User
John,
I used AE to check overall engine status, not power balance. Truck hasn't gone to the dealer yet although it will go soon to get a re-flash for inductive heating, also to help with the cold starting in case the rev-x snake-oil slithers out of the engine and sops working.

I guess rev-x wouldn't help if your injectors are so far gone they have to be replaced. Did you replace those 3 bad ones? All 8?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

No, it runs good enough in the summer I've been putting it off. I have an Edge tuner which I use for guages, and I've got it set on "tow" to get my lost power back. I'll probably get at it this fall so I don't have to go through another winter with it running like crap until it's 180 degrees.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 AM
350crew4x4
Freshman User
Mine just started that where do you get Rev-x from ?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 AM
John Irwin
Elder User

Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 AM
OverHeight
Tuned
Originally Posted by Roasted7
Dealer should be able to tell if you have bad injectors and which ones. Does it run ruff when you first start it cold? Have they checked the ICP sensor? Have you checked for a clogged egr valve? Tell the dealer to show some proof if they want to get paid!!
No it does not run rough, seems like normal except for issue reported.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 AM
OverHeight
Tuned
Originally Posted by 73stang
I had the same problem as you. Do you also have a rough idle when the truck is cold? Is there some white smoke too, especially when you raise the rpm? If so then you may have stiction

If its not the FICM, no injector codes, not the EGR valve or a failing EGR cooler (have you checked EOT vs ECT?) Then it could be Injector stiction

You may wan to try to add Rev-x oil additive to help with the stiction (worked for me ) Also synthetic oil and lighter wieght oil like 5w40 could help too
Has I said, its normal, but It does run a touch rough at 22-25 when having this condition though. I definately get the white/blue smoke when I get above 2k RPM.

EGR cooler has been replaced before as well a couple of years ago.

Don't know what EOT vs ECT is? Would this not be a test the dealer would do?

So is Stiction what I think it is? Basically the injectors are sticking? If that is the case, shouldn't it be covered under my warranty?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
dan.alger
Junior User
dont really know much about diesels yet, but what does an oil addative have to do with the injectors? I am have the same problem with cold starts and lack of power.... Dealer just replaced to injectors, the cutting out while driveing stopped but not the cold start issue......help

Old 06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
73stang
Junior User
Stiction happens when the oil is cold (cold starting). The injector spool vlave sticks because it is not properly lubricated. That causes the injector to missfire. That causes the rough running, engine shaking, white smoke (unburned fuel due to missfire) and lack of power (your missing a cylinder!).

SUPPOSEDlY this Rev-x stuff helps add lubricity to your oil that helps prevent the stiction problem by lubricating your spool valves. All I know is it worked for me!! hehehe

Does your white smoke smell like un burned diesel, or sweet like coolant?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
dan.alger
Junior User
Thank god I dont have the white smoke, just the rough starting problems & long starts....then of course lack of power till the engine warms, No codes at all but I think my problem might be a combo of stuff because when the truck is still cold it seems to not want to shift till higher rpms to...????? I was just at the dealer 2 months ago for 2 new injectors due to sputtering...runs great once the truck is warmed up? I live in florida so it not like it gets to cold out...lol

Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
We have a bunch do what u described and found either the egr valve stopped up or the orings burnt off of it. Its really simple to check.

Quick Reply: No power on cold start HELP!