What engine do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I Love My Truck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What engine do I have?

I'm changing the engine in my '01 F-150 4.6L (Romeo). I bought an engine from a salvage yard (no returns) which the guy claims is a '99 4.6L out of an F-150 which he changed the crank in. After I got it home it appears to be a Windsor block. The crank has an 8 bolt attern where the flywheel bolts up. My Romeo had a 6 bolt pattern. I've ordered 3 different flywheels for a '99 F-150 4.6L Windsor w/an automatic and they are VERY different. They look like what a standard trans would bolt to. They all have a machined surface where it looks like a cluch disc would mate to & are at least 3 times heavier. I looked near the starter for a casting # but can't find one. There's a casting # on the opposite side at the front that is F75E-6015 CA. Also when I order a belt tensioner for the '99 engine it looks the same as the one that my Romeo has. Looking at the timing cover where I believe the belt tensioner would go it has an alignment pin hole & only one bolt hole in the center to mount it. I'm at my wits end & need some help. I have some pictures but don't know how to attach them.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I Love My Truck
I'm changing the engine in my '01 F-150 4.6L (Romeo). I bought an engine from a salvage yard (no returns) which the guy claims is a '99 4.6L out of an F-150 which he changed the crank in. After I got it home it appears to be a Windsor block. The crank has an 8 bolt attern where the flywheel bolts up. My Romeo had a 6 bolt pattern. I've ordered 3 different flywheels for a '99 F-150 4.6L Windsor w/an automatic and they are VERY different. They look like what a standard trans would bolt to. They all have a machined surface where it looks like a cluch disc would mate to & are at least 3 times heavier. I looked near the starter for a casting # but can't find one. There's a casting # on the opposite side at the front that is F75E-6015 CA. Also when I order a belt tensioner for the '99 engine it looks the same as the one that my Romeo has. Looking at the timing cover where I believe the belt tensioner would go it has an alignment pin hole & only one bolt hole in the center to mount it. I'm at my wits end & need some help. I have some pictures but don't know how to attach them.
The parts store monkeys sold you manual trans flywheels when you need an auto trans flexplate. Return that crap,and order the part you need from somewhere that doesn't hire total idiots.
RockAuto Auto Parts
ATP Part # Z346 -8 bolt auto trans flexplate. $34.79
It's listed under a '99 F150 with a 4.6L VIN code 6, and under auto trans, flexplate.
JL

Old 05-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I Love My Truck
Freshman User
Wow! Even a part #! You are the MAN! Thank You very much! Any ideas on the belt tensioner? I have a picture of the front of the timing cover but don't know how to attach it. Again, Thank You Very Much!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Wow! Even a part #! You are the MAN! Thank You very much! Any ideas on the belt tensioner? I have a picture of the front of the timing cover but don't know how to attach it. Again, Thank You Very Much!
Not sure on the tensioner. Is there a reason you're changing it?
JL

Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM
I Love My Truck
Freshman User
Thank You Very Much for the flexplate info, I know have the correct one in hand! As for the tensioner I'm changing it because the one that came off my Romeo engine won't mount to the timing cover. It seems to have a different setup. The Romeo & what they keep giving me has an arm that connects the mount to the pulley & the timing cover doesn't have the same mounts (they mount with 3 bolts). My wife was looking on-line for me & found some that are "more compact", it doesn't have a long arm. The timing cover has a "alignment hole & seems to bolt in the center. Maybe I'm trying to put it in the wrong place, I don't know. I'll try to post a picture of the Windsor timing cover. Again, Thank You very much for all your help!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 AM
I Love My Truck
Freshman User
This is a link to the timing cover where I need the tensioner to bolt. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...ictureid=71284

Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Looks like you might need the BT45 tensioner instead of the BT62. Those are Motorcraft numbers-I don't see an pictures of that tensioner online anywhere, but I'm pretty sure that's the one you need.
Rockauto lists it under a 2001 5.4L VIN L under the belt drive section.
JL

Old 05-30-2011, 03:05 PM
I Love My Truck
Freshman User
Thanks Johnny. My wife found this picture on-line. Does it look like it would work with the timing cover I have? Did you see the link of the timing cover picture?
I see your info says your in SE Texas. I'm in Houston (Kingwood) are you close to me?

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...234925660&An=0

Old 05-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Thanks Johnny. My wife found this picture on-line. Does it look like it would work with the timing cover I have? Did you see the link of the timing cover picture?
I see your info says your in SE Texas. I'm in Houston (Kingwood) are you close to me?

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...234925660&An=0
I saw the timing cover. That tensioner from Napa just doesn't look right. I'm about 90 miles northeast from Houston.
JL

Old 05-30-2011, 04:48 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
This is a link to the timing cover where I need the tensioner to bolt. Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - I Love My Truck's Album: 4.6L Engine Swap - Picture
Looks like that guy sold you an OLD motor according to what I see on here!
Looks like one for a 94 to 96.

Ford F150 Truck Serpentine Belt Tensioner at AM Autoparts

All the newer ones have 3 bolts!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by phil6608
Looks like that guy sold you an OLD motor according to what I see on here!
Looks like one for a 94 to 96.

Ford F150 Truck Serpentine Belt Tensioner at AM Autoparts
During the modular fiasco that was from '99-'01, Ford used a few different tensioners. I've seen 2 different versions on vehicles of the same year, engine type/size , and engine plant. It was seemingly random there for awhile-same with the darn 6-bolt/8-bolt crankshaft crap.
JL

Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I Love My Truck
Freshman User
After I looked closer at the link I posted I noticed this was a timing belt tensioner. I looked on Summit Racing & found some that look similar to the one from Napa & Summit said it was a timing belt tensioner. I'm concerned about buying one on-line on a whim since I don't know exactly what it is supposed to look like. I think your right on the older engine but I know the PI heads didn't come out until '99 & the heads are definately PI heads. I looked near the starter for a casting # but can't find one. There's a casting # on the opposite side at the front that is F75E-6015 CA. Doesn't this casting # come up as a '97? Is that possible w/PI heads?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
After I looked closer at the link I posted I noticed this was a timing belt tensioner. I looked on Summit Racing & found some that look similar to the one from Napa & Summit said it was a timing belt tensioner. I'm concerned about buying one on-line on a whim since I don't know exactly what it is supposed to look like. I think your right on the older engine but I know the PI heads didn't come out until '99 & the heads are definately PI heads. I looked near the starter for a casting # but can't find one. There's a casting # on the opposite side at the front that is F75E-6015 CA. Doesn't this casting # come up as a '97? Is that possible w/PI heads?
Casting numbers won't help you one bit. The engine blocks did not change from '97-'02, that's why you see an F7 prefix on the casting number.
JL

Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM
I Love My Truck
Freshman User
I guess I'll just have to either take a chance w/an on-line order or see if I can go to a salvage yard & see if I can find something similar to use as an example. Thanks for all your help Johnny, you've been a huge help!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
I guess I'll just have to either take a chance w/an on-line order or see if I can go to a salvage yard & see if I can find something similar to use as an example. Thanks for all your help Johnny, you've been a huge help!
Rockauto has absolutely stellar customer service,and they're very good to deal with if you need to return something. I'd try them and if it's not the correct one, then just return it. If you call the CS number, they might be able to send you a good image of the part before you order.
JL

Quick Reply: What engine do I have?