1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need advice, cost estimates

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice, cost estimates

I will soon have a 1949 Ford F1 that once belonged to my Dad. He sold it to my uncle who is selling it to me. It has an original flathead V-8 and the original manual transmission. This will be an occasional driver. My uncle tells me that the engine smokes quite a bit. I want to get the truck mechanically reliable before I do anything else.
Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost to rebuild the engine? I am not a mechanic so there is no way I would even entertain the idea of doing it myself. What would it cost to buy a rebuilt late-model V-8 and automatic and install that? I think I likely would prefer to keep the original engine and would love to know what a reasonable price to pay someone to rebuild it would be.
I know it is difficult to estimate these costs but even a guess or range would be helpful.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM
xcrunner2616
Junior User
i dont want to jack your post but i would love to know the same question. and i would like to know how hard would it be to put the motor back together yourself? i want to do everything to my truck. except the powder coating.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
V8 flatheads are popular. Rebuilding one can get expensive. Main issue is finding a shop that knows what they're doing. It can be as cheap as getting the block machined if you can do the rest of the work. If you're wanting to have a shop rebuild it from start to finish, then you're probably looking at a few thousand $$ minimum.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Not cheap anymore......I'm guessing $2000 plus if you have someone else do it all. That's for a stock engine. Start putting go fast parts in it, and cost goes up at an alarming rate.
Obviously, the more work you can do, the more money you save.

The most important thing is to find somebody that knows what they are doing and has lots of experience with flatheads.

xcrunner, The best way to learn is by doing. That said, get yourself some books on flatheads and engine rebuilding. They will serve you well.....

Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 PM
xcrunner2616
Junior User
I have the books with step by step pictures. I am not scared to try anything. I just wonder if I can build the 239 back. Since I have never built a motor

Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 PM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
Would all of you recommend keeping the original engine? Is that the cheapest way to go, especially in the long run?
What other mechanical items should be looked at while the engine is being rebuilt? The transmission, rear end, etc.??
How difficult is it to find parts and keep in running in top condition?
Thanks again for all of the responses.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 133 Likes on 57 Posts
Hey welcome! I checked out your profile. What part of KY are you in? To answer your last question--YES. Keep the original engine. Especially considering it was your family's truck. It will just mean more to you in the long run. Do you have any pics?

Old 05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
I don't yet have the truck in my possession. I am trying to line up someone to rebuild the engine first plus I have got to clean out my garage. I am a Mustang guy and have a 1966 convertible. I am in Campbellsville, almost exactly in the center of the state. My Dad, who is 85, lives in Western Kentucky in Princeton. The truck is at my uncle's in Morgantown.
As soon as I get it I will be taking many photos. I have a website, Stanmckinneyphotography.com, on which you will find many Mustang and other photos.
Are you in Kentucky?

Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 133 Likes on 57 Posts
Yeah. I live just outside of Whitesburg. Glad to have you. I'll check out your website. There's quite a few Kentuckians on here. Go to your "User CP" up there on the left (it's in the blue stripe) and find the spot where you can list your location with your posts. It helps people know where you are, and somebody may be nearby who can help you out sometime.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:46 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First step is to pull the engine, take it all apart and have it hot tanked. If it's a good block then you're in luck but if it's cracked you might want to take a different route.
This hobby is one step at a time. The whole project is very hard to plan unless maybe you start out with unlimited funds.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 PM
52 5 star
Senior User
When the motor is out I would replace the king pins and spring bushings, the throw out bearing clutch and presure plate, change the fluid in the transmission and rear end, and have the rad. flushed and pressure tested. Also would change the brake lines while the engine is out. Maybe see about putting in a new style master cylinder

Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Stan,
Welcome aboard! I went the route of replacing the engine with a new one - a 351 windsor (small block Ford) this Spring. The challenge is it's not just replacing the engine - you have to take apart the whole front end - replace the motor mounts & most likely get a new transmission to hook up to the new engine, etc. Then get all the brackets ... I'd vote to keep the original flathead engine as it's a part time truck - rebuild it & back it goes into it's nice spot with motor mounts, brackets, transmisions all in place.

My New 351W approx. costs -
Motor - Rebuilt 351W bottom end $700
Edelbrock top end kit with carb. $2000
Labor to build the Motor $500
New rebuilt AOD Transmission $2000
Motor mounts welded in $400
Replace the rat's nest of old wiring ....
New Radiator to go with engine $400 ....
Grand Total $6,000

It Looks cool but it's kind of expensive to "just replace an engine" - might be easier for a weekender to rebuild what you have.

Ben in Austin

Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:30 PM
stanmckinney
Freshman User
Thanks for all the great info. It is much appreciated.
Is there an automatic transmission that will work with the original engine?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Yes speedway motors sells an adapter kit to put a flathead to a C4 trans and if Im not mistaken they make one for a AOD (with over drive).

I have a flathead I was thinking of getting rebuilt for my 51. Went and talked to a well experienced builder in my area and he told me for a "stock" rebuild it would be about $2500 bucks....now I have a 300hp 302 that I had built for $1500

Old 05-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Doraville
Senior User
I would not recommend estimating the cost before doing it. It'll cost twice as much as you estimate, and take three times as long. But you'll still be glad you did it.

Quick Reply: Need advice, cost estimates