1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Transmission Impossible (E4OD to ZF 5 Speed Swap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One guy doing the swap almost had his new flywheel machined down because of that spacer. When you get to feeling that way just gotta do what mike says and just walk away. You'll start rushing, pay less attention, and mess something up, or even worse hurt yourself. When you hit a wall go inside and put your question on here then go back out and move to something different for a spell. Good luck buddy.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Okay, should I use the reinforcing disk that came off of the flywheel or only use the washers that came with the flywheel bolts?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Oldsmoky92
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not use the disk, just the hardware that came with my clutch kit. And no problem man i was glad to help, I am constantly asking questions myself. I wish you were closer i would enjoy giving you a hand! But Indiana is a fair piece from Idaho lol.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Alright, that's what my plan was. I'll let everybody know how it goes tomorrow.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

I got the transmission in today without any problems. It took three of us, mostly because I'm working on a gravel surface, which is not conducive to the use of transmission jacks or personal comfort. I learned a bunch and I can see light at the end of the tunnel for this swap. I'm nearly there.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
I got the transmission in today without any problems. It took three of us, mostly because I'm working on a gravel surface, which is not conducive to the use of transmission jacks or personal comfort. I learned a bunch and I can see light at the end of the tunnel for this swap. I'm nearly there.
Haha when I did my clutch I had my best bud, basically my little bro from cali help me. We got it out with out a jack and tried to get it back in with floor jacks. Well we quickly learned that wasn't going to work. In the end he cussed me up and down for making him work in gravel because he is used to huge floor lifts and nice creepers on concrete floors. We both got cut on the bell housing, my cut just now healed like 3 months later. In the end we had a 6 ton jack lifting my truck up like 12 inches on the front and then the trans jack. When the clutch worked I was praising all kind of gods as I wasn''t sure if I did it correct, my first and only clutch job thus far.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by glovemeister
Haha when I did my clutch I had my best bud, basically my little bro from cali help me. We got it out with out a jack and tried to get it back in with floor jacks. Well we quickly learned that wasn't going to work. In the end he cussed me up and down for making him work in gravel because he is used to huge floor lifts and nice creepers on concrete floors. We both got cut on the bell housing, my cut just now healed like 3 months later. In the end we had a 6 ton jack lifting my truck up like 12 inches on the front and then the trans jack. When the clutch worked I was praising all kind of gods as I wasn''t sure if I did it correct, my first and only clutch job thus far.
I know what you mean, being unsure if you did it right. I'm not going to feel great about it until I drive the truck. You know, you can't be 100% sure until the truck moves flawlessly. This is the first clutch I've ever installed and the first transmission I've ever installed. It's my first time for a whole bunch of parts of this swap. It'll be my first time doing driveshaft universals. It was my first pedal install. It will be my first steering column installation. It was my first brake line replacement.

That's part of what is taking me so long. I don't have anybody to help me that has done any of this stuff before, so I have to rely on Mr. Chilton, who isn't much help, to tell me how to do these things. I just try to look it up and get the best idea of how to do it as possible, and then go out there and do my best to learn as I'm doing it. In the end, it takes me like three times longer to do anything because I've got to learn how to do it as I'm actually doing it.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Oldsmoky92
Senior User
Well thats the only way your gonna learn! I have been tinkerin since i was old enough to turn wreches, just getting broken stuff and seein if i could fix it, everything from snowmobiles to pickup trucks. Once you have got the tranny in that is a huge obstacle, there is still some time involved but every bolt you tighten will be that much closer!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:17 AM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Couldn't you just put a manual steering column cover on the auto column so you don't have to swap all that out??

Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
johnnycyclone
New User
i went to see a zf5 on the weekend and since i never seen one,,,,, wasn`t sure about it,,,,,,,,,actually the trans looked ok(had a brake system on the tailshaft),,,,,,,,,but the flywheel had springs in it!!!,,,,,,,is that what they call a dual mass flywheel??,,,,,,,,,is that a good piece??,,,,,,,,my truck is completely stock,,,,,,,but i will be putting in a stainless exhaust when i do the trans swap!
oh by the way.,,,,,,,,,the guy wasn`t sure if it was out of an 89 or a 93 f450!!
also,,,,,,,could a 4x4 zf5 fit my 2x4 1995 f-350?
john

Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by snaponprofile
Couldn't you just put a manual steering column cover on the auto column so you don't have to swap all that out??
Some of the electrical connections were different, so I'm going to try it my way first. If it would work better the other way somehow, then I'll swap it all back. It was very easy to swap it over. It took like ten minutes.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:41 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by johnnycyclone
i went to see a zf5 on the weekend and since i never seen one,,,,, wasn`t sure about it,,,,,,,,,actually the trans looked ok(had a brake system on the tailshaft),,,,,,,,,but the flywheel had springs in it!!!,,,,,,,is that what they call a dual mass flywheel??,,,,,,,,,is that a good piece??,,,,,,,,my truck is completely stock,,,,,,,but i will be putting in a stainless exhaust when i do the trans swap!
oh by the way.,,,,,,,,,the guy wasn`t sure if it was out of an 89 or a 93 f450!!
also,,,,,,,could a 4x4 zf5 fit my 2x4 1995 f-350?
john
You'll need a 2WD transmission on your 2WD truck. You will want to use an aftermarket single mass flywheel like the one offered by Valair as opposed to the stock single mass flywheel, which is not very durable.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM
johnnycyclone
New User
is a new flywheel expensive??,,,,,,,,,,,are there any stock flywheels that are recommended?
and FORD actually made a 4x4 transmission and a 2x4 transmission??,,,,,wow,,,,strange!
thanks for the info buckhammer

Old 09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

This is where I got my clutch and flywheel. I haven't driven the truck yet, so I'll post about how it is after I get everything together.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM
johnnycyclone
New User
thanks for the info buckhammer,,,,,,,,,much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Transmission Impossible (E4OD to ZF 5 Speed Swap)