1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Transmission Impossible (E4OD to ZF 5 Speed Swap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Good deal. Thanks for the fast replies. Nothing came loose, so no harm, no foul, I guess. I'll take it out whenever I can get help lined up, then. I tried to rep you both, but it didn't work.

Edit: By the way, is the starter bolts to the engine, right? If so, how important is it that I remove it? It seems like every transmission removal procedure I've read includes the removal of the starter.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I've had my starter out one time, and it was a PITA due to my disabilities and it was the middle of December (in Idaho and outdoors; my truck doesn't fit in my garage). Anyway...

Take a look at it while you're under the truck. If you can R&R the tranny without removing the starter, I'd leave the starter alone. I have my tranny replaced by the dealer, so I'm not sure if the starter must come out first. With the PITA experience I had replacing my starter, if it doesn't have to come out, leave it where it is. You might disconnect the batteries, just to be safe.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:06 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Removing the starter isn't really a problem, since I've had plenty of practice (some of you may remember that clusterfailure). I just don't want to do it if it's not necessary. I probably will wind up doing it anyway just to be on the safe side, since all the procedures include it.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joseph, it is totally unneccesary to remove the starter.... there is a benefit if you are reinstalling an auto trans, which you are not

Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Ought to save me twenty minutes. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I'm lazy.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Alright. Is there any way to get to the middle passenger bellhousing bolt without removing the downpipe. I can't even get a wrench on it. How in the world am I supposed to move that bolt with the downpipe nearly resting on it? I plan to do the 3" downpipe deal while the transmission is out, anyway, so it's not a problem to remove it. I was just wondering because I'd probably rather wait to take it out until the transmission jack isn't all in the way under there.

This leads me to my next question. Should I wait to put the 3" downpipe in until the new transmission is in to make sure I make room for the transmission? I'm not quite seeing how a 3" is supposed to fit under there, since the stock downpipe is nearly contacting my transmission.

I'm getting ready to remove the transmission now, so speedy responses are appreciated.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Oldsmoky92
Senior User
Well i would suggest using a impact woble socket 1/2 drive. Hey I will try to follow your swap closely as i have the same thing planned. I forgot my password and havent been on in a while.. What did you do for a clutch, And how much did it cost that is my biggest concern? All i need to do is drag my donor back to my house and start tearing it apart...lol Good luck and i will try to give advice along the way!

Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

$700 for a solid mass flywheel and 350 hp clutch from Valair.

I can't even get a socket on that bolt without a wrench. There's simply no room. I just got back from Harbor freight to buy reciprocating saw blades to cut that downpipe up. I'm just going to remove it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:59 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've pulled the trans with the stock downpipe still in place. Just unbolt the downpipe from the exhaust and loosen the clamp holding the downpipe to the turbo so you can move it around a bit.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:20 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

I started to remove the downpipe. I've made two cuts so far, but I didn't do such a great job up top, so I've still got one cut left to go before it'll come out of there, but it's nearly there. For those planning to do a 3" downpipe, I can't stress enough how important good metal cutting blades are. I went into it with junk blades and it is a huge pain in the butt. I reckon that a better blade will make a big difference when I get on it tomorrow or the next day. I ran out of sunlight today, so I'm done for now.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Oldsmoky92
Senior User
well i got my donor truck into my place today! Tomorow i will start taking the tranny/tcase out and all the other parts i can think of. Im not to thrilled about the clutch pedal assembly though, looks like a pain to get out..

Old 08-28-2011, 04:07 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Make sure to post a lot in this thread. You'll probably finish far before I do. I work really slow, The biggest thing is that I'm trying to learn as I go. I'm learning quite a few lessons the hard way so far.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your engine could be farther back on the mounts than most. I did all my trans work with the DP in place. Yes you should wait to put the new DP in til the trans is back in.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 AM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
i put my down pipe in while the trans was out so i could make room on the fire wall in the right places, then i pulled it out, put trans in then put the down pipe back in

Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by redman84
Your engine could be farther back on the mounts than most. I did all my trans work with the DP in place. Yes you should wait to put the new DP in til the trans is back in.
Wouldn't the position of the downpipe be directly related to the engine/transmission? So, if the engine was more rearward, the dowpipe would also be more rearward. I think I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Quick Reply: Transmission Impossible (E4OD to ZF 5 Speed Swap)