1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Transmission Impossible (E4OD to ZF 5 Speed Swap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:23 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnycyclone
is a new flywheel expensive??,,,,,,,,,,,are there any stock flywheels that are recommended?
and FORD actually made a 4x4 transmission and a 2x4 transmission??,,,,,wow,,,,strange!
thanks for the info buckhammer
Ford didn't make either transmission. But indeed, ZF made two different cases, for 4x4 and 4x2 applications.

BTW, what's with the commas? Makes it REALLY hard to read, compared to the period, space (or two) and capital letter that have been used for the last several centuries.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
johnnycyclone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the ZF transmission info!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:23 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
BTW, what's with the commas? Makes it REALLY hard to read, compared to the period, space (or two) and capital letter that have been used for the last several centuries.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Oldsmoky92
Senior User
Hey buckhammer i used the 93 wiring harness, it plugged right in. Only problem i had was my BU pigtail was tore off my harness so i need to make a trip to the wrecking yard. OH and the 4x4 light does work.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
Edit: Nevermind, I thought you were talking about something else. Yeah, I'm going to use the donor harness to plug into the transmission. I haven't messed with wiring at all yet.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
KillerKlevis
New User
hey guys im new here and was wondering if anyone has done this swap on an older idi? i have a 91 f250 4x4 sc and my e4od has had it. i just picked up a 92 zf5, cross member, clutch master and slave, peddles, front and rear drive shafts and flywheel. is there anything im missing or problems i might have? thanks Kevin

Old 10-03-2011, 04:52 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post WELCOME TO FTE KILLER

Originally Posted by KillerKlevis
hey guys im new here and was wondering if anyone has done this swap on an older idi? i have a 91 f250 4x4 sc and my e4od has had it. i just picked up a 92 zf5, cross member, clutch master and slave, peddles, front and rear drive shafts and flywheel. is there anything im missing or problems i might have? thanks Kevin
Killer
You amy want to try your question here
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

or here

Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Killer, you'll want the piece from the floor that has the hole in it where the stick will come through. You'll also want the transmission wiring harness from the donor. You also may want to swap the manual transmission components from the donor steering column onto your steering column. That's all I can think of at the moment, but if you read the previous pages on this thread, I'm sure you can find the information you seek.

I would also do a +1 on what Rocky said. You ought to find plenty of help on the IDI forum.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:58 PM
KillerKlevis
New User
thanks guys

Old 10-03-2011, 07:11 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Just as an update for those who care, I've got the transmission crossmember in, transmission wired up, and the clutch hydraulics installed and wired up. On the bolts that don't clear the body enough to get the bolt head end on the top, I just flipped'em over and installed them that way. There's no way I'm jacking up the cab without replacing all of my worn out cab mounts all at the same time, and that's more than I want to get into right now. Maybe some other time.

I should be replacing rusty brake lines, bleeding the clutch, and bleeding the brakes tomorrow. I may install the transfer case if I'm feeling abitious. I got replacement driveline bolts, nuts, and straps on order. Anybody have any suggestions for driveshaft universals? I was thinking Spicer or Moog or something nice, and I'll definitely be going with greasables.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Can somebody snap me a picture of how the clutch hydraulics are supposed to be routed? Mine keeps wanting to ride on the exhaust manifold, and that isn't going to work.

An update for those who care, I just repaired those brake lines. I got the line that feeds the front brakes in really well, and the coil looks really professional and everything. The one that feeds the rear brakes is kind of ghetto. I may re-do it soon.

I'm fixing to install the new downpipe pretty soon, and then install the transfer case soon after. If I get all of that done today, I'll be happy. Is there anybody who offers a rubber gasket for the mating surface between the transfer case and transmission, or am I going to have to use gasket maker on it? I would prefer a rubber gasket, but I realize that you can't always get what you want.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure about a rubber gasket or not. I think it's a paper once from the factory. Either way. I used black rtv. There shouldn't be much of anything to keep sealed in that area anyway. I typically trust a good rtv job better anyway. Just my .02 though. Glad to hear it's going well. Keep it up

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Oldsmoky92
Senior User
If you still want a picture i can get one after work.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:58 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

I would still like a picture if it's not too much hassle.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Well, after working on the brakes, for whatever reason I wasn't feeling too well. Instead of doing hard jobs, I focused on putting the interior back together. I got the column back in and put all of the trim pieces in. I still need to redo the floor. I think I'm just going to cut an X in the carpet for the stick to come through and maybe fold it down under the floor. You guys think that would work okay? I figure if worse comes to worst, I could just finish cutting the square and end up where I would have been if I did it that way to begin with anyway.

Quick Reply: Transmission Impossible (E4OD to ZF 5 Speed Swap)