6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

"new" NOX sensor doesn't fix CEL

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:52 PM
vtboy51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"new" NOX sensor doesn't fix CEL

New sensor installed today, 18 miles later the CEL was back on. Just wanted to pass this along to those still waiting for a fix.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 PM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you need to get a hold of Sgt93 to get the phone # of his dealer. That way you can call and find out what his diesel tech did to fix his light after the NOX sensor replacement did not work.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess my 60 grand truck is just going to have the CEL on for it's life and the 400 hp/800 tq are just things I read about on here. This is sad. I had an older jeep grand cherokee pull away from me like I was standing still. I get a taste of the power till its warmed up then it disappears. How flippin hard is it to fix this issue? I'm sure Ford had spent millions trying to fix this and they are not getting any return on the investment except for ticked off customers. Enough already!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 PM
vtboy51
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JReinert
I guess my 60 grand truck is just going to have the CEL on for it's life and the 400 hp/800 tq are just things I read about on here. This is sad. I had an older jeep grand cherokee pull away from me like I was standing still. I get a taste of the power till its warmed up then it disappears. How flippin hard is it to fix this issue? I'm sure Ford had spent millions trying to fix this and they are not getting any return on the investment except for ticked off customers. Enough already!!!
The problem is it can't stay on forever, if you want to inspect it anyway....

Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 PM
mr.windows
Junior User
Sgt 93, hey if your still having no CEL back on could you please post what the heck they did to yours cause this issue is getting real painful for us out here, like JReinert said we have absolutly no power when the engine is up to temp, i cannot believe that Ford would not make this some kind of priority, this has been going on way too LONG!!!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Latest word I have seen on this issue mentions nothing about replacing the sensor with a new/updated part. What it does say is the adaptive learn table for the NOx sensor should be reset via IDS following PCM reprogramming and/or NOx sensor replacement to prevent a false P164A DTC from being set. Alternatively the truck can just be driven (drive cycles) and the NOx adaptive learn table will update and should eventually correct its self. Could take a while though...

Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
mr176
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
Latest word I have seen on this issue mentions nothing about replacing the sensor with a new/updated part. What it does say is the adaptive learn table for the NOx sensor should be reset via IDS following PCM reprogramming and/or NOx sensor replacement to prevent a false P164A DTC from being set. Alternatively the truck can just be driven (drive cycles) and the NOx adaptive learn table will update and should eventually correct its self. Could take a while though...

That is exactly what happened with mine. I had the flash done and the light came back on the same day. I took an 800 mile trip with the light still on. When I got back home, the dealer replaced the NOx sensor and the light came back on a day later. Made an appointment to take it back the following week and the the day before my appointment the light went off on its own, and has been off ever since. The truck is now running great.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mr176
That is exactly what happened with mine. I had the flash done and the light came back on the same day. I took an 800 mile trip with the light still on. When I got back home, the dealer replaced the NOx sensor and the light came back on a day later. Made an appointment to take it back the following week and the the day before my appointment the light went off on its own, and has been off ever since. The truck is now running great.
Most likely meaning your truck completed enough drive cycles to update the NOx adaptive learning table with the necessary information to make the CEL go out...

Good to hear all is well and hope it stays that way...

Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Had nox installed CEL back on in 1 day. Light went off 4 days later. Light back on after 2 weeks. Reapplied the piece of black tape to cover light. Ford has failed to address the problems with this truck. I for one am sick and tired of this POS Ford! 54K and they haven't got a clue how to fix this thing. People who got a truck that works congratulations the rest of us suffer.This truck was the biggest mistake I have ever made purchasing a vehicle

Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 AM
fatboydiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by flaharleyguy
Had nox installed CEL back on in 1 day. Light went off 4 days later. Light back on after 2 weeks. Reapplied the piece of black tape to cover light. Ford has failed to address the problems with this truck. I for one am sick and tired of this POS Ford! 54K and they haven't got a clue how to fix this thing.People who got a truck
that works congratulations the rest of us suffer.This truck was
the biggest mistake I have ever
made purchasing a vehicle:-
arrgh
It's obvious other guys are their trucks fixed. There are techs on here explaining the problem and the fix. Maybe it not the truck. Maybe your mistake is the dealer you take it to..

Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fatboydiesel
It's obvious other guys are their trucks fixed. There are techs on here explaining the problem and the fix. Maybe it not the truck. Maybe your mistake is the dealer you take it to..
exactly...and PSHD has posted the update that clears the code...at this point nothing will make this guy happy

Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
exactly...and PSHD has posted the update that clears the code...at this point nothing will make this guy happy
I guess after spending 54K for a truck that goes into limp mode at will, CEL on for weeks at a time, rear end bounces all over the road at 50, and the truck shifts erratically every other day I am asking too much. Yep shame on me for wanting a truck that works.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:04 AM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
It might be time to consider some tuning for you guys that Ford seems to have dropped the ball on. My 08 was the exact same way, never ran right and had no power. Ford could never find anything wrong with it. So the way I saw it if they can't fix it then what good is a warranty? So I tuned it and fixed some stuff.

Just a thought

Old 05-20-2011, 09:05 AM
fatboydiesel
Senior User
TAKE IT TO ANOTHER DEALER

Old 05-20-2011, 10:41 AM
derek witt
Senior User
Thank goodness for this thread. I have the NOX sensor issue for months. It has been in several times and never replaced because of my dealer waiting for an updated one.

However, I have been telling hiim that ever since the CEL came on for the sensor, the engine doesn't run right. It has a lot more old diesel clatter and sluggish performance. He test drove it saying, "it feels fine to me, just drive it till the sensor comes out".

It does feel better when cold, when it warms up, it definitely looses a bit of performance and doesn't have need the same refined feel. When it was new and I pulled my 5th wheel, it has lot s of power, since the CEL, it doesn't feel as strong.

I thought I was loosing my mind. Glad to see that I am not, and the sluggish performance isn't in just in my head. Problem is, now what??? Try the sensor anyway? Thanks.

Quick Reply: "new" NOX sensor doesn't fix CEL