6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

"new" NOX sensor doesn't fix CEL

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello all, My tech installed the new NOX sensor and box and the light came back on. The tech called Ford and they recommended some sort of an airbox recalibration. Tech drove my rig for 2 or three days before giving it back to me and I have been CEL free since (knock on wood). I would hate to bombard the dealer with calls by posting their number but at the same time, I understand your frustration so PLEASE BE NICE IF YOU CALL. They are a small dealer here in central hell (IL).

Ask for Ford service (they do Dodge as well) POC is Dale (Ford diesel tech is Duane). 217-892-2155, Shields Auto Group in Rantoul IL. They went above and beyond to help me.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The procedure to repair them is out there, has been for some time. There are 10 pinpoint tests before you get to "replace the sensor" (step 11 is reprogram). SGT93, they probably reset the adaptive learning, performed a manual regen, then drove it.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:21 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
The procedure to repair them is out there, has been for some time. There are 10 pinpoint tests before you get to "replace the sensor" (step 11 is reprogram). SGT93, they probably reset the adaptive learning, performed a manual regen, then drove it.
Vince,

Thanks for your patient coaching. It astounds me that with all the accurate information being posted by you and other Ford techs, there are still guy's out there who continue to take their trucks to dealers with poor service departments.

As to the pom pom statements, it is not cheer leading when you inform someone of the facts. Those who still have a NOX sensor caused CEL, you need to take your truck somewhere that has the necessary qualified technicians to perform all the diagnostic steps in the correct sequence. It has been demonstrated multiple times the procedure works when properly executed. To those really complaining, if you will not take those steps, how are others supposed to take you seriously?

Regards

Old 05-20-2011, 12:33 PM
AlexWV
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rickatic
you need to take your truck somewhere that has the necessary qualified technicians to perform all the diagnostic steps in the correct sequence. It has been demonstrated multiple times the procedure works when properly executed.
How do you know the various incompetent dealers didn't do those steps and it is still not fixed? As has been pointed out by the very person you are responding to, these things have to be diagnosed and until that happens the jury is out on what is the issue. You are diagnosing this guys truck remotely via the internet it appears and have decided that his issue is the same issue as others are having.

I'm not sure I saw the multiple times the procedure was demonstrated to work, either. I saw Sgt93 and one other person who drove for a while and then it finally went out. That's two which I suppose strictly speaking can be considered "multiple".

In any case, I'd be abundantly displeased as would you, I'm sure, if your +50K$ truck was constantly going into limp mode even after multiple trips to dealer. So no need to attack the guy personally. He has a legitimate beef and paid for the right to voice his displeasure about it.

Edit to add: And I, for one, want to hear about these things. Particularly the ones which end up getting bought back or lemonized.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:05 PM
vtboy51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexWV
How do you know the various incompetent dealers didn't do those steps and it is still not fixed? As has been pointed out by the very person you are responding to, these things have to be diagnosed and until that happens the jury is out on what is the issue. You are diagnosing this guys truck remotely via the internet it appears and have decided that his issue is the same issue as others are having.

I'm not sure I saw the multiple times the procedure was demonstrated to work, either. I saw Sgt93 and one other person who drove for a while and then it finally went out. That's two which I suppose strictly speaking can be considered "multiple".

In any case, I'd be abundantly displeased as would you, I'm sure, if your +50K$ truck was constantly going into limp mode even after multiple trips to dealer. So no need to attack the guy personally. He has a legitimate beef and paid for the right to voice his displeasure about it.

Edit to add: And I, for one, want to hear about these things. Particularly the ones which end up getting bought back or lemonized.
My dealer has contacted Ford every time asking how to fix this problem, I've even got copies of the emails, so I don't think we can blame the dealers for not knowing what to do. Ford should be relaying the same information to all dealers.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is available to all dealers-- they just have to be willing to find it

Originally Posted by vtboy51
My dealer has contacted Ford every time asking how to fix this problem, I've even got copies of the emails, so I don't think we can blame the dealers for not knowing what to do. Ford should be relaying the same information to all dealers.
3266 - 6.7L DIESEL - DTC P164A RESETTING AFTER TSB 11-04-21
SOME 6.7L DIESEL VEHICLES MAY TRIGGER A P164A DTC AS A PENDING DTC OR ILLUMINATE THE MIL AFTER PERFORMING TSB 11-04-21 RECALIBRATION OR REPLACING THE NOX SENSOR. THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES FOR THE NOX SENSOR ARE NOT RESET DURING PCM REPROGRAMMING AND MAY NEED TO BE RESET/CLEARED TO PREVENT THE CODE FROM BEING SET FALSELY. RESETTING/CLEARING OF THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED WITH IDS BY SELECTING THE FOLLOWING: POWERTRAIN - SERVICE FUNCTIONS - RESET/CLEAR SPECIFIED FUNCTION AND THEN SELECTING THE NITROGEN OXIDE SELECTION. NOTE: ADDITIONAL DRIVE CYCLES WILL ALSO ALLOW THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES TO UPDATE AND ACCURATELY EVALUATE THE O2 SIGNAL DURING EXTENDED DECELERATION FUEL SHUT OFF CONDITIONS, BUT WILL TAKE LONGER THAN RESETTING/CLEARING THE ADAPTIVE TABLES WITH IDS

Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vloney
3266 - 6.7L DIESEL - DTC P164A RESETTING AFTER TSB 11-04-21
SOME 6.7L DIESEL VEHICLES MAY TRIGGER A P164A DTC AS A PENDING DTC OR ILLUMINATE THE MIL AFTER PERFORMING TSB 11-04-21 RECALIBRATION OR REPLACING THE NOX SENSOR. THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES FOR THE NOX SENSOR ARE NOT RESET DURING PCM REPROGRAMMING AND MAY NEED TO BE RESET/CLEARED TO PREVENT THE CODE FROM BEING SET FALSELY. RESETTING/CLEARING OF THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED WITH IDS BY SELECTING THE FOLLOWING: POWERTRAIN - SERVICE FUNCTIONS - RESET/CLEAR SPECIFIED FUNCTION AND THEN SELECTING THE NITROGEN OXIDE SELECTION. NOTE: ADDITIONAL DRIVE CYCLES WILL ALSO ALLOW THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES TO UPDATE AND ACCURATELY EVALUATE THE O2 SIGNAL DURING EXTENDED DECELERATION FUEL SHUT OFF CONDITIONS, BUT WILL TAKE LONGER THAN RESETTING/CLEARING THE ADAPTIVE TABLES WITH IDS
exactly...I am sure there are extremely isolated instances of multiple failures creating a diagnostic nightmare. It has become obvious that many dealers believed that the upcoming flash would solve all the problems with NOX sensor related CEL's. This has created some real problems for guys who waited for the flash and then had the CEL return.

But...the responsibility for the decision to short change the diagnostic procedure rests with the dealership service department. They either made a conscious decision to wait for the flash or did a poor diagnostic job. Just reading the many posts from many owners about all the problems they have had with dealership service departments makes me very suspect that it is the cause. I have seen multiple posters on these CEL threads ask about or recommend trying a different dealer. Have any of the problem child owners tried that route? If not, why not?

Regards

Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
It's a real shame that the owners and the Ford dealers have to deal with such a problem. Hopefully the '12 won't have these problems!

Old 05-21-2011, 01:18 AM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Yep it sure is. The 2011 is a big problem now and I am afraid it will be a bigger problem in the future. I was thinking of trying to trade mine for a 2012 ( if the problems where fixed) and eating the loss however the crappy way Ford has handled our problems has nixed that idea. Ford has failed this long time customer one last time.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:32 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
It's a real shame that the owners and the Ford dealers have to deal with such a problem. Hopefully the '12 won't have these problems!
Troy

At the risk of raising the ire of the few owners left with this issue unresolved, the problem was small, proportionally, in number compared to the huge number of 2011 6.7 trucks sold. This small sample contributed to the length of time needed for Ford to effect a solution. Now that the problem has been resolved, the 2012's will not see this issue.

Not that it matters one bit when you have a problem child, other brands are not without similar issues somewhere in their product line. GM, and this is not a bash, has had a significantly larger problem with their 2011 DuraMax truck. Their DEF issues were so widespread that GM required a temporary exemption from EPA regulations to allow the truck to run until they found a fix. Dodge owners receive EGR related CEL's .

I have compassion for those owners that have had issues. However, if they refuse to see the light about poor dealer service department performance, they are lengthening the frustration process. I have had 2 warranty issues with my 2011 6.7 truck. At 3500 miles I had an engine fan clutch failure. At 24000 miles, an injector circuit board decided to become intermittent. My dealer did all the diagnostics required, found the exact problem and did the repair. The service manager called me to tell me he needed the truck for an extra day to complete the diagnostics. Good dealers with good technicians will fix your truck.

My opinion remains that the remaining frustrated owners need to re-evaluate their dealer relationship and it's service department capabilities. Just coming here and complaining will not result in a proper diagnostic or proper repair.

Regards

Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 AM
rdenis
Tuned
Honestly this whole thing is now being blown way out of proportion by a very few impatient and ignorant owners.

The ones that come here and gripe the most are also the ones least likely to take advantage of the many, many free dollars of insight and advice being shared so they can be helped.

But no they would rather jump up and down and stammer about how their $60K truck is a piece of **** because of a problem that is really inconsequential but more importantly fixable if they would just comprehend reading once in a while.

Sorry but there is only so much one can do.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:32 AM
garbenn
Junior User
Originally Posted by flaharleyguy
I guess after spending 54K for a truck that goes into limp mode at will, CEL on for weeks at a time, rear end bounces all over the road at 50, and the truck shifts erratically every other day I am asking too much. Yep shame on me for wanting a truck that works.

I'm with you on this pal. Spending 50k+ and being loyal customers having problems, FORD SHOULD HAVE THE ANSWERS

Old 05-21-2011, 11:48 AM
AlexWV
Senior User
Originally Posted by rdenis
Honestly this whole thing is now being blown way out of proportion by a very few impatient and ignorant owners.

The ones that come here and gripe the most are also the ones least likely to take advantage of the many, many free dollars of insight and advice being shared so they can be helped.

But no they would rather jump up and down and stammer about how their $60K truck is a piece of **** because of a problem that is really inconsequential but more importantly fixable if they would just comprehend reading once in a while.

Say what????

I think these are the points you've made:

1) Truck going into limp mode is an inconsequential problem.

2) Anybody unhappy about this "inconsequential" problem and voicing their opinion is an ignorant owner.

3) And why are they ignorant? Because they are not reading, comprehending, and acting upon the priceless, yet free, advice on this forum as opposed to, oh, say, taking their truck to a dealer several times with no remedy.

Is that what you said? It sure sounded like that was what you said but since I can't quite believe the audacity of such a post a think I surely must be mistaken.

Anyway, the way I see it is that the people are not just jumping up and down and complaining about it. They are taking the truck to Ford to get fixed and it is not getting fixed and they are telling us about it. I quite understand them being upset.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:17 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Originally Posted by AlexWV
Say what????

Chill dude - seriously.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 PM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by rdenis

Sure seems like personal attack to me. I'm so very happy you don't have "really inconsequential" problems! Have a great day!

Quick Reply: "new" NOX sensor doesn't fix CEL