1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's COMPLETE, Microsoft SYNC in 2008 F-350

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to do that, but the GPS is so much easier, no looking at maps while driving.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cartmanea
I used to do that, but the GPS is so much easier, no looking at maps while driving.
I don't do it while driving. I plan out the route. For instance, if I were planning a trip to Town D, through Town B-C, starting in Town A, I would make a mental note; when I get to Town B, I will switch to roadway Z and continue to Town C, and upon arriving there, I will switch to roadway Y to get to Town D. I have been in vehicles with GPS, and I find that I rarely agree with the route it directs me to take. I like to take rural roads and not Interstate highways in most cases.

I just really like giving the OP and you guys a hard time. Don't take offense!! I am just amazed at how little technology I use or need, and so many others have more techno gadgets in their vehicles than I have in my house.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:04 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jc8825
Dents in the bumper are normal, it's a truck.

You are welcome to make that call on your own truck, but I sure wasn't going to walk away from his truck and sluff it off to being "normal". I took pictures, left a note and walked backed in to the restaurant to explain to the manager what happened. The guy ended up being a retired car restorer. Needless to say...a dented bumper was not normal for him. Normal for one guy is a beater for another guy.

FWIW: I never used to get lost...until I started using GPS. I grew up north of Dallas. I knew the DFW area like the back of my hand. Then I moved away and started depending on my GPS. I finally gave up on using the thing around there. Does anybody still have paper maps in there vehicle? I do.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:07 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
I don't do it while driving. I plan out the route. For instance, if I were planning a trip to Town D, through Town B-C, starting in Town A, I would make a mental note; when I get to Town B, I will switch to roadway Z and continue to Town C, and upon arriving there, I will switch to roadway Y to get to Town D. I have been in vehicles with GPS, and I find that I rarely agree with the route it directs me to take. I like to take rural roads and not Interstate highways in most cases.
gps and road atlas, no comparison, especially when an unexpected detour (road closures/accidents, etc.) comes up, traveling in unfamiliar area pulling a trailer is where it really shined!

also, on one trip my cousin was having car trouble, so just did a search for a repair shop and we were directed right to it.

i could go on and on about how GPS is far superior to an atlas (here are a couple more):
-looking for a place to eat
-a place to sleep
-a place to put fuel
-shopping (gear that was left home)

your atlas can't come close, technology is GREAT!!!!

remember, that computer your on has a whole lot of technology built into it

Old 05-19-2011, 02:10 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HuntsDucks70
gps and road atlas, no comparison, especially when an unexpected detour (road closures/accidents, etc.) comes up, traveling in unfamiliar area pulling a trailer is where it really shined!

also, on one trip my cousin was having car trouble, so just did a search for a repair shop and we were directed right to it.

i could go on and on about how GPS is far superior to an atlas (here are a couple more):
-looking for a place to eat
-a place to sleep
-a place to put fuel
-shopping (gear that was left home)

your atlas can't come close, technology is GREAT!!!!

remember, that computer your on has a whole lot of technology built into it
If it were 1960, I would get along just fine the way it was done.

As far as my computer, it is almost 10 years old...

Also, as far as sleeping, eating, shopping, etc., I would plan what towns I would stop in along the way and know where the establishments are in those towns.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 PM
ninerM1000
Senior User
I love my gps in cities,but when planning trips or lots of highway driving it doesn't compare to an old fashioned map. I will set the gps and usually knock a good 45 min of my drive by picking my own roads.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
sredmyer
New User
I am the guy mackda600 (the OP) was referring to. I created the custom harnesses for installing this new Ford OEM nav and Sync in our 2008 Super Duty trucks.

As a continuation of this project I added a custom camera system which originally just added a front camera and a custom steering wheel switch to allow turning the video on anytime (regardless of what gear the truck is in) and switching the display between the two cameras.

Well I have now completed what I believe (and my wife hopes) is the final part of this project. This final part just adds a couple more cameras to the system and some pretty cool (at least I think they are cool ) features for controlling the cameras/display. With this new four camera ability it is now possible to have a standard backup camera on the tailgate of the truck, a front camera to aid in nose in parking, a camera inside a trailer and finally a camera on the rear of the trailer. The camera inside the trailer will allow you to see your load while driving to be sure nothing has shifted or if you are hauling livestock (ie. horses) you can check on their well being. The trailer's back camera provides the same features as a normal backup camera on the truck (displays automatically when the truck is shifted into reverse) but it shows the view behind the trailer since the view behind the truck itself is of little value when backing a trailer.

So how does it all work you ask...well, anticipating that some would be curious, (and because some have already requested pics) I created a short video demonstrating the camera system.

[youtube]hxY3oQxKixk[/youtube]

Steve

Old 07-05-2011, 04:42 PM
mackda600
Senior User
Great video!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:32 PM
The Boss
Freshman User
Very cool!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:07 AM
tgreening
Elder User
Yes yes, very cool,but now we need a detailed how-to with instructions, referenced photos, part numbers, costs, etc etc. Preferably on a nice neat web page.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM
BroncoEx
Senior User
Can you give us a ball park of what this would cost, and some info on who to contact?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
madsonp
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
I think you should also post this in the Audio/Video section of this Forum that you can find here. Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Sorry for the slight
I don't see justification for the time or money spent on this project. To each his own, but do you actually use that stuff? I have never used a GPS. I don't own an iPod. I have never need a backup camera or sensors. I don't have a cell phone that has BlueTooth capability. I just don't see it.
I know who your are now your Christopher Walken. The word is that he
does not use gadgets. I found that on the internet so It has to be true.

Anyway Washington State is also a hands free/no texting state. Not that
really stops then from crashing into each other.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Telling others what one finds to be justified or necessary on a FORD truck site just seems to be argumentative and counter productive. Stay living in whatever technology age you wish but stop wasting space with nonsense clutter to wade through for those who are interested.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss08v10
Telling others what one finds to be justified or necessary on a FORD truck site just seems to be augmentative and counter productive. Stay living in whatever technology age you wish but stop wasting space with nonsense clutter to wade through for those who are interested.
I agree
If u want to stay in the Dino age thats fine but dont tell the rest of us what to do. I did not want to spend time reading about what he doesnt care to do.

I for one have an aftermarket "touch screen" radio, cd, dvd player w/backup camera system & yes a dreaded GPS
The idea of being able to have a switchable camera on the rear of the 5'er as well sounds awesome !!!

To "mackda600" & "sredmyer" GREAT JOB

Quick Reply: It's COMPLETE, Microsoft SYNC in 2008 F-350