6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Upgrade time Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 02:30 PM
fmco_muddin
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Upgrade time Questions.

Ok guys the family is getting bigger and my obs extended cab is not fitting any more so its time to upgrade. My question is what do I need to look for in the 6.0 and truck in general? Thanks in advance for input.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:11 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
I think there is a thread or two around asking this same question, but I don't see anything in the tech folder. Speaking of which, there is a wealth of info there that you want to study.

But I'll start it off with this. I would look closely at the degas bottle. If the coolant level is between the marks, and the bottle is dusty like it hasn't been opened in a long time, that is a good sign. A 6.0 that holds its coolant has good head gaskets and a healthy cooling system. If the whole engine bay has been detailed, then look for any signs of leakage under the cap.

Ask the owner what warranty work has been done. Then ask him to let you take it to a dealership and have the Oasis report run. See if he has been honest. Having had work done is not necessarily a bad thing. Lying about what was done always is.

Generally speaking, concentrate on '06-'07 trucks.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Everything that Bill said. That will keep you out of the real expensive repairs (hopefully). I would try for a private owner that could show you his maintenance records - look for OEM filters, regular fluid changes, ie signs of a knowledgeable, conscientious owner - I think this is really priceless with these trucks. You should get a good deal now with diesel prices so high which should offset any unexpected repairs (which is probably a given on a used vehicle).

Old 05-05-2011, 10:55 PM
pjerrn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also get a scangauge and take it on a long drive. Make sure tat it gets to operating temp and check te delta between the EOT and the ECT. I walked away from 2 nice trucks before i found one that did not ave a >15* difference. and they both looked like the degas had not been messed with
the scan gauge is $160 at autozone and worth every penny. You will then have a good start on the gauges you will need to keep your new ride for many years.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts