Blowing tires!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,517 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Denny,

That is right on cue there. I will be shopping in the spring for some tires.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
rvpuller
Received 470 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Denny,

That is right on cue there. I will be shopping in the spring for some tires.
The load range H tires are rated at 4805lbs each so there is no worry about weighing each wheel, they are also a commercial tire so I'm expecting at least 7 years out of them before they will have to be replaced because of age. The Sumitomo tires are also rated for 75 MPH but be careful not all the 17.5 tires are rated for that speed some are only 62 MPH. I have totally had it with all the junk RV rated tires on the market especially the crap that GY has on the market.

Denny

Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
Denny, I started out three years ago with the GY 614 G rated. Five new ones, blew one so bought another one for a spare. I kept blowing them on the road so I bought whatever was available to keep going. Three of them were Big O's, I'm down to two left. A couple of asian tires and two Big O's on now. The last 614 is a share. In the last 1,500 miles I slowed down to 65 for 72mph and haven't had a blow out since. One of the Big O's is wearing bad on the outside as I mentioned above, might be a bent rim. H rated, wow! If you don't care, can I ask what that set up cost, rims and all. What speeds are you going, are they still restricted to 65mph? I hate 65mph, I mean its not that bad of a speed, what I don't like is it sucks the fuel more then 72mph. That might sound strange but my engine is at a sweet spot at 72mph and will not pour the coal to it as bad. I also use cruise and it uses more fuel doing that but at 65mph it will downshift and really get after it on the little hills, drives me crazy. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Denny, with the purchase of the 17.5 wheels, will they fit on my 7K dexter axles? I'm having trouble finding Trailer Wheel and Tire, do you have their web site link?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Denny, with the purchase of the 17.5 wheels, will they fit on my 7K dexter axles? I'm having trouble finding Trailer Wheel and Tire, do you have their web site link?
This is their web site 17.5" x 6.75" 865 Aluminum Hi-Spec Series 03 Trailer Wheel. 4,850 pound capacity it will take you directly to the wheel we have. You can buy wheels for 9/16 studs (7K axles) or 5/8 studs (8K axles). The tires I have are rated at 75mph but some of them like Michelin are rated at 62 or 65 mph. You can also buy wheels with tires already mounted and balanced from them just call them for a quote. I bought our tires locally because of the freight from Ohio to central Florida with the tires mounted. If you have one tire that is wearing the outside edge I would get the axles aliened. The wheels also come with all new nuts and centers.

Denny

Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Denny, I called them today and if they shipped the wheels with the tires mounted to a shipping place near me its $2, 393.00. When I have cars and trucks going by at 80mph changing a flat, I would pay that in a heartbeat. I'm going to have to think about it. I still think the MorRyde might be good but then I'm stuck with 65mph, which I don't like at all.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Denny, I called them today and if they shipped the wheels with the tires mounted to a shipping place near me its $2, 393.00. When I have cars and trucks going by at 80mph changing a flat, I would pay that in a heartbeat. I'm going to have to think about it. I still think the MorRyde might be good but then I'm stuck with 65mph, which I don't like at all.
Why would you be stuck with 65mph with the MorRyde suspension. I have the MorRyde RE (rubber equalizer) and I have never heard of anyone with the RE or the IS system be limited to 65mph. I have pulled ours above 65 many times in the past without any problems.

Denny

Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went through a similar thing with tire problems with our 04 during a trip in 07. Six tires in eight days. Luckily only one blew on the highway. Caught the rest in time by doing as previously suggested. Checking them at every stop. One was due to a bad rim with a small crack/leak. Went to E rated LT's and new rims, so far so good but I'm fairly sure the trailer could use an alignment now. I don't like how the tires are wearing lately but can't seem to locate anyone around here that bothers. They suggest I'm better off replacing the axles. Is this true? If not, does anyone know of a place in eastern Mass. or southern NH that aligns them?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Denny, I sure didn't explain myself very well. What I meant is for $2,400 for the wheels and tires verus $2,400 for the MorRyde. If I did MorRyde and left my wheels and tires on that I have now, I would be restricted to 65mph. It would cost $5,800 to do both. Of course, I don't have to get the fancy wheels and knock the price down a little without them

Ed, I'm running into the same thing about alignment, nobody seems to know how to do it. One guy even stood back and eyeballed it and said "they look good to me", LOL. The one tire I have that's wearing on the outside edge is mounted on a new axle. I believe, but don't know, that the tire in front of it was only a E rated was flexing, bouncing and causing the G rated tire to wear on the outside. Just a gut feeling.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,163 Likes on 1,056 Posts
Check here for RV alignment shops in MA

RV frame alignment MA - Google Search

Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM
rvpuller
Googled trailer axle alignment az and came up with a few.

Denny

Old 04-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Check here for RV alignment shops in MA

RV frame alignment MA - Google Search
Thanks. I'll look closer but the last time I checked it appears most of those have been auto, truck, heavy trailer or motor home alignments. The only rv trailer ones, for some odd reason on the Mass search are in MN and FLA. I'll take a little more time and go through a few more pages. I know there has to be something nearby.

I appreciate the help.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Denny, I just noticed, where in Ne are you. I'm in Lexington, Ne at the present time. Maybe the shop you used is in Ne? I would have to go back and read this thread again, maybe you never did because you have the MorRyde.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oldbird1965,
I am interested to hear what brand of tire you have been running? Besides Sumitomo. Are they Big O branded? In my very humble opinion FWIW: Carlisle tires are absolute junk (For anyone pulling a trailer with heavier weights). Also, what pressures are you running & what are the outside temps when the blowouts are occurring?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Tom, At first it was the Goodyear G rated. Blew five out of six of them. Then I just started mixing and matching. Being on the road without a spare is not a comfortable feeling so I buy any G rated tire I can find. At the present I have two Big O's and two Jap tires, one is a SAILUN SG37 the other a JINELUN BCT JB 43. I'm running 90 lbs in the tires and when one blows it doesn't feel hot to me. When I stop in a rest area or for fuel I look at them and feel them. I haven't yet to detect a bad one before I'm back on the road and have a blow out. My 5er is a Travel Supreme 34' three slides, 12K empty and I'm sure 3 or 4K extra, you know how women are. I missed the grain elevator by ten minutes the other day trying to get it weighed. A couple a years ago I broke two leaf springs form the axle to the rear hanger. I felt it of course and looked in the mirror and saw smoke so I thought, another flat. I looked in the other mirror and saw smoke. I said to myself, what are the changes of having two flats at the same time. I got stopped and walked back, NO flat. Went to the other side and NO flat. Then I noticed the tires were pushed together. Looking under I saw the broken leaf springs. Fixed all that and you could see the tires on the rear axle were sticking out at the bottoms. Bend axle so I replaced the axle. It just so happens that the one tire I have wearing on the outside is on the 'good axle'. They are both upgraded from the orginal 6K to 7K's and G rated tires. I guess you can tell that I'm overloaded, have to be!!

Quick Reply: Blowing tires!