6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

11B23 PCM Flash: Has Ford placed a Hold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 PM
parcours
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11B23 PCM Flash: Has Ford placed a Hold?

I'm reading in other Ford sites that PCM Flash 11B23 has been put on hold by Ford, can anyone substantiate this? Seem that too many issues are coming up due to the tighter tolerances.

I just had my '08 flashed and it seems to be OK, but then I haven't really ran the truck for any great distance.

This will be great, a flash update for the flash update

Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed that also. I have an 08 and had a new PCM which inturn, I have the latest flash. I have had no problems in fact, I kinda like it. I have put about a thousand miles on it since the update. I have pulled, empty, city and hiway and seems ok.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I e-mailed my service advisor this morning to see what they know. I have an appt tomorrow for the flash.

I really would rather not have it for my truck as I have zero problems with it. But warranty is important.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "hold" is for the dealers. We're supposed to "hold" vehicles until the flash is performed.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Thanks for the clarification Vloney!

Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I've got about 1300 miles on the latest flash.. mostly city driving and a couple of straight freeway shots.

No new complaints/issues compared to my original flash. Regens are still belching smoke as before... I just smoked some folks again yesterday...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
a wierd thing i noticed today on the 2nd regen since the flash, i noticed a cloud of smoke and realized it was regen time but no message so i thought it shut off? so i stopped and waited a min then took off again and noticed when taking off that the cleaning exhaust popped up but then went out i did this a couple of times and it popped up each time. wierd since it stayed on the whole time for the first regen after the flash.
just thought i would share this.

jim

Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 PM
parcours
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
warranty is important.
That was the my main reason for having it done....

I have an extended warranty and didn't want to chance it. Bone stock truck except for: Coolant Filter and Rear Air Bags.

Just passed 31K miles no issues... Oh, and lots of off road

Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Well I had Corey from Ford Cust svc tell the dealership to not do mine for now. They are not going to hold my truck either.

told them I will get it done at a later date. Too many fried PCM's out there right now.

I am getting the dust cover seals replaced to the new ones on my front axle's and a free oil change.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:10 PM
pwinscott
New User
MPG seems worse

Had mine done when it was first released (not sure 6-8 weeks ago??). Anyway, the mpg seems to be worse per the lie-o-meter. Then again, it is the lie-o-meter. Should probably do the math myself.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 AM
fedman1
New User
While towing the 5 th wheel today at about 68 mph, got the cleaning exhaust filter message, then shortly after, got the dreaded "Reduced Engine Power" and the "Wrench" message. This is the second time since the reflash. First time the dealer said they had to replace the thermostat. Pulled into the first rest stop and shut it down. Nothing obvious under the hood so I restarted it and it ran normal all the way home. Has anyone heard anything else about the latest flash? Any help would be appreciated!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 05-02-2011, 11:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I think they probably have the engine temps, egt's so tight it has made it useless now. Glad I didn't get the flash.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:41 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I think they probably have the engine temps, egt's so tight it has made it useless now. Glad I didn't get the flash.
More likely he has a failing EGT thermocouple as has been seen well before 11B23 ever existed and caused limp mode when it failed sufficiently. Now with 11B23 it's probably better detected so the failing part can be replaced.

So far I haven't read anything that suggests to me that 11B23 is causing problems of making the vehicle "useless". Everything I've read indicated 11B23 is finding more developing faults so they can be repaired before they cause damage and once those faults are repaired, the vehicles go on to operate just fine.

Reports from people who have received the 11B23 flash and go on to tow heavy for long distances with no issues seem to support the better fault detection assessment. I don't believe I've read any reports of people who had the 11B23 flash and had a problem show up right away and be repaired ever report back that they had subsequent issues.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
typhoon5000
New User
Hello everyone! 1st post on here, so here's a quick intro: I bought an '08 Job 1 F-350 CC Long Bed Lariat with a 6.4 PSD last October (2010) and loving it so far. I bought it with 60K on it and has almost 70K now. I have a ScanGaugeII that's in there right now to watch actual temps and keep a close on the powertrain. When researching info on my truck, I always find the best here and has been recommended to me by guys on other forums (I also own a '95 Taurus SHO).

Originally Posted by koboss1
a wierd thing i noticed today on the 2nd regen since the flash, i noticed a cloud of smoke and realized it was regen time but no message so i thought it shut off? so i stopped and waited a min then took off again and noticed when taking off that the cleaning exhaust popped up but then went out i did this a couple of times and it popped up each time. wierd since it stayed on the whole time for the first regen after the flash.
just thought i would share this.

jim
I just got my truck reflashed to this new cal. when it was in for service 2 weeks ago. I've had to have put at least 500 miles on it since then. I noticed it is having the same issue as you, Jim. Either the message is so quick, I miss it or I catch it for about a second or two, but I can def tell it's regening for miles afterwards. Otherwise it has been running great. It may also be worth noting that I got a new intercooler under TSB 11-2-2 (WHITE SMOKE IN DAMP WEATHER CONDITIONS WHEN ACCELERATING) last time it was in too. I plan on taking to the dealership early next week and mentioning this and also because I just found out my A/C doesn't work. I never tried since I bought the truck until it recently got warmer up here in Michigan and I have no cooling.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:52 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got the reflash a few days ago and towed today. Saw the regen thing come on for a few seconds then go off. About a minute later i did the system check and after that was all done for about a minute the regen message came on and stayed on until finished. Didn't notice any difference other than that, might even be getting worse mileage now.

Quick Reply: 11B23 PCM Flash: Has Ford placed a Hold?