Coolant system filtering

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant system filtering

OK guys,

I am looking for a coolant filter that I can splice into my heater lines. I want something simple that does not require drilling or heavy modifications to install. I just don't have the tools right now. I would like an easily replaceable filter as well. Keep in mind I don't want to spend a lot. I am running distilled water and Fleet Charge.

I am also thinking about a filter on my reservoir hose because the bottom of the reservoir is full of crap. I tried to remove the tank and empty it but I could not find all the screws to take the brackets apart.

Any thoughts?

1991 F250 7.3 IDI E4OD

Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
I remember seeing fleetguard coolant headers on amazon with filters to match

Old 04-19-2011, 07:06 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
I copied this parts list a long time ago from a post. There was also a link in the last couple of weeks to a website that another guy had pics and a write up of a coolant filter.

Parts and Part Numbers Required: Installed in heater hose.

Napa #4019 (Coolant Filter Housing). Insure it is a filter housing and not a light bulb. I had to order mine. They usually wont have something like this in stock. I did so by phone and then came down to my nearest Napa, 20 miles away, just to find out it was a computer screw up they were happy to report My light bulb was waiting for me. After 15 minutes of phone calls we reordered the correct part.

Order One of the Following Filters:

Napa # 4070 Zero Units of SCA Charge
Napa # 4071 Four Units of SCA Charge
Napa # 4072 Six Units of SCA Charge
Napa # 4073 Eight Units of SCA Charge
Napa # 4074 Twelve Units of SCA Charge

Two Inch Angle Iron Four Inches in Length 1/8" Thick.

Two 6 foot packages of 5/8" heater hose. ( I changed my heater hoses so this is optional.)

Ten Hose Clamps ( Eight if you are not installing the Coolant Eye. I also replaced the factory clamps. So you will need only 4 or 6 if you do not replace the factory stuff.)

Two Brass T's: 1/2" Thread

Two Brass Nipples Close 1/2" Thread

Four Brass Hose Barbs 1/2" Thread by 5/8" Hose.

Can of Glossy Black Spray Paint

John Deere #TY16423 (Coolant Eye)

Teflon Tape.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i picked up the filter head w/ filter at napa,but i still haven't taken the time to install it.
im not going to frig around with shut offs/T's on mine.just splice it into the heater line directly and call it good.
the heater line going to the heater core is already a secondary line,and it's not that hard to open the drain valve and let some coolant out to change the thing.plus i plan to just change the filter every flush anyway so.
i dunno,i figure if she doesn't blow heat,then the filter needs changing.
maybe it doesn't let the coolant pass through it fast enough to get good heat i dunno.i'l see this winter i guess haha.
i also don't mind just bypassing the filter for winter months either,as little as i drive it then,and so what? it didn't have one from the factory,so winter not filtering isn't going to hurt if needed lol.beats that huge mess of plumbing in bypass t's imho.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:06 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I considered doing a coolant filter, but not worth it to me. I'll just let whatever little dust particles that want to float around in there stay. When the guy on OB checked his filter after a while, there was barely nothing in it. If IDI's have run 400K+ without em', so can mine.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
all the stories iv read was plugged up filters in short order,like the first one,the second and then from there,pretty much nothing.
they claim the sand from sand casting is left in the block and with this removed the water pump, t-stats last longer.
danged if i know,but for 45$ i consider it worthwhile insurance i guess.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:27 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I was thinking about the fleetguard filter head, an 8 unit filter, and plumbing in some bypasses and cutoffs. As I understand it, my 7.3 with the E4OD has a transmission pre-heat input from the heater supply. I was thinking of taking the output from the block, routing it to the input of the filter head at the 5/8" size. Taking the two outputs from the filter head and directing them to the heater core or the tranny pre-cooler.

I think I recall some conversation about the heater core input being reduced somehow and the tranny pre-cooler being a larger ID. I'm not sure, but I know I would split the two off and reduce from the filter head.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Can someone post a link to that filter head? All I can come up with is this one and I don't think it is the right one. It says it is for fuel. I did find the filters, though.

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...019_0006538844

Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
thats the popular one that i got right there yup.
it's #4019 yeah,and its the second pic.the green colored one.

edit! DOH hahah.i see the first pic is the thing just upside down. my bad lol.
anyway,yes that's the girl.

also,you may be interested in one of these filters.
they actually release SCA's as the coolant requires it!!!! unlike the wix/napa filters.i found that kinda cool.
i dunno anyone whos tried it.you may want to search the other diesel sections.+99 up diesels can use ELC coolant,so you may not find much luck there.but perhaps try the first gen power stroke section.-i havent looked into these myself yet.
sure sounds pretty cool though hey?
http://www.penray.com/products/produ...iclesource=340

of course the next question would be,which filter part# screws onto the WIX/NAPA filter head right.

i found out about those via the coolant FAQ section i use here,and searched them.
http://www.fleetchargeantifreeze.com/faq.htm#7

this thread reminds me.it's time to test my coolant again.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I've done some research on the Penray filters and they seem to be pretty good for long term SCA level maintenance. I am expecting to change my coolant filter in a few months because judging by what is in the coolant reservoir, there should be more like it in the system itself. Myabe, if it fits, I will investigate a Penray filter. I don't have ELC coolant and I prefer to stay with what I have, so I need to make sure the two SCAs are compatible.

I'll call Napa tomorrow and order that filter head and a filter.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Marianna2003
Elder User
The collant filters with the SCA s are nothing more than a standard oil filter element with a tablet of the same chemicals that are in the liquid SCA additive. There is a small hole in the end plate to restrict the flow. If you're after a full flow filter use a FRAM HPK2 Oil Filter Adapter ($13.99 + 5.15 shipping) and an FL1A motorcraft filter ($3.67 @ Chinamart).

PS:
You can over treat if you don't check your SCA levels before using a coolant filter with SCA in it.

Last edited by Marianna2003; 04-22-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: PS added.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Napa wants $53 for the 4019 and O'Reilly want's $23 for the HPK2. Can I use an oil filter for coolant or will it degrade or disintegrate? I like the cheap filters, I don't mind adding SCAs and I don't want to overcharge. I think the HPK2 filter will work better in my hose routing; the only concern I have is the 3/4" vs 11/16" stud. Any drawbacks? I want to try and do this project this weekend since I do not have any parts for the injection system yet.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Originally Posted by eatont9999
Napa wants $53 for the 4019 and O'Reilly want's $23 for the HPK2. Can I use an oil filter for coolant or will it degrade or disintegrate? I like the cheap filters, I don't mind adding SCAs and I don't want to overcharge. I think the HPK2 filter will work better in my hose routing; the only concern I have is the 3/4" vs 11/16" stud. Any drawbacks? I want to try and do this project this weekend since I do not have any parts for the injection system yet.
Screw NAPA. Say hello to your new favorite online outlet for filters:
Wix 24019 & Napa 4019 Base: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

I'd go with filters that were actually designed to handle coolant myself...but I don't see why oil filters wouldn't work. I know a few people that rigged up some gasoline filters with PSD degas bottle cooling systems.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:15 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
The 4019 number is the filter base from NAPA, not the filter. Re-read my post above, the filter numbers shown are the pre-charged filters, also from NAPA.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
i was planning on putting a coolent filter on my 7.3. im just gunna use the 4019 Wix and a 1 charge filter for now, because i already maintain my DCA. i was just gunna do what Ford250 is going to do and put it inline with the heater core. i think there useful, ive drained alot of sediment out of some Rad's. the best part, i get 50%off all Wix products at my Napa

Quick Reply: Coolant system filtering