Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Offroad & 4x4
Reload this Page >

Most likely a dumb question...

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Newcomer
Elder User
Newcomer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Ok,

So I finally got around to getting my front driveshaft into my truck after I did the Dana 60 swap and the ZF 5 swap. The shaft fits in place and its not at an extreme angle, but......

The pinion nut on the Dana 60 hits the face of the U-joint and binds. I have quickly thought that there could be several reasons why, not sure on all my background info so this is why I am asking you guys. Is the pinion nut too long, is the yoke on the Dana 60 too shallow and doesnt set the ujoint caps far enough away from the end of the pinion nut. I am using the front driveshaft that would have been used with the Dana 50. Are the U joints different sizes from D60 to D50. The yoke on the t case is much "deeper" if you can visualize, it sets the u joint caps farther away from the end of the yoke nut. Even with the driveshaft set horizontal to the ground and the u joint in place, there is probably only 1/8" of clearance between the pinion nut and the u joint face. A picture would help I am sure. Any advice or experience would be cool.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:37 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
U joint installed backwards. As iN u have the grease zurk pointed forward n it should point to the middle of the d shaft.

Thatsa all I can think of right now.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Newcomer
Elder User
Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
U joint installed backwards. As iN u have the grease zurk pointed forward n it should point to the middle of the d shaft.

Thatsa all I can think of right now.

Thanks Dave, I also thought this might be the case, it was the first thing I checked, although I didnt change the U-joints in the shaft, I got the shaft from my donor truck, so I thought maybe the previous owner had installed it backwards. The U-joint appears to be in correct, the grease fitting is facing the shaft and not the differential. Also, there doesnt appear to be much of an offset, if any, in the U-joint, it appears to me that it could be installed in either orientation. Anyway, thats all I got for now too. By the way, are you still liking the Royal Purple ATF you have in the ZF? I went to change mine over to that last week, but I decided I didnt have the $13 dollars a quart just then, so I changed it out with some Mercon just to flush it out once more.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i have to agree with Dave. someone put the u-joint in backwards.
there should be a depression in the joint for clearing the pinion nut. i have done D-60 swaps and used the D-50 driveshaft many times and never had any issues unless the kids put the joints in backwards. after doing it wrong 2 times, they learned to pay attention.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:49 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Damit Tom, wtf has been going on with this site today, I know I posted a good replay, and its not here...

Are you sure, its the nut and not the pinion itself? I find it hard to believe that its the nut, usually the nut goes down past some of the threads.. Unless someone shimmed the pinion wrong, I really can't see why this would be a problem, if the ujoint is installed right.

As for the Royal Purple, I love it, I was pulling a two horse trailer, loaded with horses, at 80 mph and the trans stayed in 5th and at 160*

It doesn't make any noise like it did with the regular ATF.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
Damit Tom, wtf has been going on with this site today, I know I posted a good replay, and its not here...
x2. took me ten minutes to log in today as well, and i've been having random site issues with other stuff as well, not just today.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
there are issues today. i could not get on this morning, and have dropped off three times in the past hour.

i think it has something to do with the full moon, and congress not paying this months internet bill.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:35 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.fatdan460 has a great reputation on FTE.
s&p 500 says we's all gonna die!!!!! the end is near :tinfoil:

on a side note, tomorrow is my birthday. coincidentally it is also the 236th anniversary of the beginning of the american revolutionary war. one can only hope we have another one soon

Old 04-18-2011, 02:28 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
I was gettin really pissed for a wile... thought my phone was ****ing up, than tried the computer at work< it loaded a page but without the text, just the header page showed up... than I would hit reload, and "forbidden url" or some **** would show up....

o well, seems to be ok now, so maybe the bugs r gone..

Old 04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
when i just refreshed my usercp page it came up mostly blank with this thread being about all that popped up. this thread showed up complete though. interwebz be trippin' yo'

Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Newcomer
Elder User
[quote=hav24wheel;10234290]Damit Tom, wtf has been going on with this site today, I know I posted a good replay, and its not here...

Are you sure, its the nut and not the pinion itself? I find it hard to believe that its the nut, usually the nut goes down past some of the threads. quote]

It is the nut itself, here are a few pics to show you guys. The pinion nut on the Dana 60 is a full nut, unlike the nuts on the transfer case which are half nuts. So, on the front differential the nut is flush to the end of the pinion stub, unlike most of the time where the threads on the pinion shaft protrude through the half nut. What is the norm? Full nuts or half nuts, or is there no normal. I have never run into this issue before, and in addition I have never really payed close attention as to what is common. I can remedy the problem, I was just wondering if any of you guys have some insight on it. Anyone with a Dana 60 care to run outside and see what your nuts look like. LOL!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
alpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to all
No, this was not a stupid question at all.

You gave a detail description of what youre working on and the exact problem youre having. Most importantly you welcomed the suggestions and appreciated the info given.

Ill say it again...If you ask good questions you get good answers from this forum

Good newbie.

EDIT:
Yes it does seem like the nut sticks out a good bit into the yoke. My 60/70s have a much shorter (almost half) nut. Id be careful how you "remedy" the problem unless you want to dig back into the axle. Pulling the nut and replacing it with a shorter one will fubar the pinion preload on the crush sleeve.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:13 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader
I'll look at my nut when I get home. But I'm sure some threads should stick out the top on the nut.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
my D-60 has a nut like in the second picture Nick.
i think you may have too large of a nut on the pinion in the first picture.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:21 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
alpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to all
I can take a pic of my nuts if you would like to compare Tom. They may be a little large for you also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Most likely a dumb question...

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.