6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Anyone try a programer yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
David Gordon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just curious to see the results from the new programers as for fuel economy and power?

Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Seaark18
New User
Have also been wondering that...

Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 PM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I have read it WILL void the warranty, Ford put in a program that captures any changes. I personally would not want to do anything like a that till it is out of warranty.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Why ????

400 HP
800 Ft Lbs of Torque

Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Go ahead and plug in a tuner. Just remember if your engine blows you are going to pay around 15 kilobucks for a replacement. Hell I could buy a few nice toys for that instead of replacing my motor. I think the days of the tuner are numbered.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:56 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by David Gordon
Nope. This is one great truck, stock.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:17 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Last week I accelerated up any hill I wanted with 18,000 lbs strapped to the back. This 8,500 lb truck runs the quarter mile in the 15 second range. Every time I get on it on city streets the traction control goes to work to keep from smoking the tires. Just how fast do you want to go?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 PM
TXPSD
Senior User

I am not planning on putting a tuner on my truck (ordered truck arrived at the dealer and I pick it up next Friday when I get back home from work) but there is nothing wrong with wanting more power. And it is a want, not a need, but if we judge everything by need I am in big trouble and bet i am not alone. I don't need to date a Victoria's Secret model but that doesn't mean I don't want to... Also, the mere presence of a tuner does NOT void the warranty (see SEMA) - if the tuner causes damage to the engine that would not be covered but if there is an issue unrelated to it it is covered. Sticky part comes in the determination of the cause - see the 6.0 issues. I was told not to run a tuner on my 6.0 for all the reasons listed in here and then some but I did for 6 years without issue - loved the extra power, but I was prepared to pay if my choice to play caused any problems. It all depends on how much risk you wish take. Once Superchips comes out with a tuner I may reconsider as they are one of the companies more concerned with making safe gains instead of maximum gains. Just my .02 cents - actual cash value may vary.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 PM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Good point I should have been more clear, the presence does not void it but it is a easy scape goat for any issues you may have. I would consider it after the 100k is past. I have a Edge Kit on my Dodge and love it. But at 11 years old and 250k the warranty is way over.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would buy a tuner if it will fix my CEL (I kid, I kid LOL). Truck has great power.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TXPSD
I am not planning on putting a tuner on my truck (ordered truck arrived at the dealer and I pick it up next Friday when I get back home from work) but there is nothing wrong with wanting more power. And it is a want, not a need, but if we judge everything by need I am in big trouble and bet i am not alone. I don't need to date a Victoria's Secret model but that doesn't mean I don't want to... Also, the mere presence of a tuner does NOT void the warranty (see SEMA) - if the tuner causes damage to the engine that would not be covered but if there is an issue unrelated to it it is covered. Sticky part comes in the determination of the cause - see the 6.0 issues. I was told not to run a tuner on my 6.0 for all the reasons listed in here and then some but I did for 6 years without issue - loved the extra power, but I was prepared to pay if my choice to play caused any problems. It all depends on how much risk you wish take. Once Superchips comes out with a tuner I may reconsider as they are one of the companies more concerned with making safe gains instead of maximum gains. Just my .02 cents - actual cash value may vary.
Glad to hear there are some who still think like this. I look forward to reading your reports of how the truck responds to a tuner. I assume you're going to put a few thousand miles on it to break it in stock and get a feel for it before upgrading so you notice the differences?

I've seen one at the track that was straight piped and tuned. Sounded different than all the other diesels out there.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 PM
TXPSD
Senior User

F350-6 I will definitely be putting several thousand miles on her before considering adding a tuner. The 6.7 has been out about year now and Superchips still does not have a tuner for it yet - that surprises me. I am only aware of one tuner being available right now (may be others I am unaware of). With all the R&D that Ford put into the 6.7 I am wondering if there just isn't that much more power to squeeze out of these babies like could be done with the 6.0 and 6.4, hmmm?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 PM
maistroyoda
Mountain Pass
I wouldn't install a chip on it, it has plenty of ***** already. And to top it off, economical.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 AM
David Gordon
Junior User
There are 2 out and I would do it for mileage, My buddies 09 3500 Dodge gets 26 mpg.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by David Gordon
There are 2 out and I would do it for mileage, My buddies 09 3500 Dodge gets 26 mpg.
As long as you can afford the financial disaster that comes with an engine replacement without warranty, I say go for it. But considering that our trucks will already get into the 20s stock, and the 100,000 miles of peace-of-mind that comes with them, most of us won't be interested in that $15,000 gamble.

You have a better driving experience and fuel economy to gain, and the equivalent of 3-months of my pay to loose. If you can afford it, go fer it!

Quick Reply: Anyone try a programer yet?