Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Sputter , stall again ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:48 PM
AngeliasDad
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sputter , stall again ...

Thank you to evryone who helped out 2 weeks ago ...... I thought I had fixed the problem by changing out the CPS , but alas it did it again the other night ..... I know some of you have suggested it might be the clips under the headers but from the sounds of that it would be more speratic . My stall outs seem to happen on the last 1/4 of my commute from work to home or home to work . I drive ruffly 18 miles to work Mon. through Fri. .

The first time this happend was about a month and a half ago . At that time I thought it was cause I had let my oil get to low ( bad Me ) . Changed it all out and it ran great for like 2 weeks and started up again . So two weeks ago I changed out the CPS and again it ran great until the other day , (Thurs ) , but Friday ran ok..... this has seems to happen mostley when it rains , (which is hard to say living in the Pacific North West ) . My OBDII is'nt giving me any codes . I was thinking it may be a short but where to start ...... Thinking I may have to bite the bullet and find a diesel Mechanic ......

Old 04-16-2011, 02:57 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeliasDad
Thank you to evryone who helped out 2 weeks ago ...... I thought I had fixed the problem by changing out the CPS , but alas it did it again the other night ..... I know some of you have suggested it might be the clips under the headers but from the sounds of that it would be more speratic . My stall outs seem to happen on the last 1/4 of my commute from work to home or home to work . I drive ruffly 18 miles to work Mon. through Fri. .

The first time this happend was about a month and a half ago . At that time I thought it was cause I had let my oil get to low ( bad Me ) . Changed it all out and it ran great for like 2 weeks and started up again . So two weeks ago I changed out the CPS and again it ran great until the other day , (Thurs ) , but Friday ran ok..... this has seems to happen mostley when it rains , (which is hard to say living in the Pacific North West ) . My OBDII is'nt giving me any codes . I was thinking it may be a short but where to start ...... Thinking I may have to bite the bullet and find a diesel Mechanic ......
It still may be the CPS. I remember some posts about stuttering/stalling and think they were related to wet conditions and windshield wiper use. I thought guys were using a dielectric grease on the CPS connection??? Where did you get your new CPS? Bump and good luck.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM
AngeliasDad
Junior User
I got the CPS from ford ... it was a Grey one ..if that matters .... and I used the dielectric grease on the the unit itself but not on the wire connection ...should I have put some on there too ????

Old 04-16-2011, 03:27 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think grease on the rubber boot/seal at the plug to seal from moisture is where to apply. How are your battery connections? Clean/tight. Also the was some mention of leaking windshields and the fuse box. Might want to check there next wet road trip. Some code readers will not work on our trucks. Is the CEL on?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:02 AM
AngeliasDad
Junior User
CEL ???? Hmmmm i'll check for leaks and stuff ....... I greased the CPS but not the actual plug in to the wire harness ......... but on the other hand if it was water would'nt it be more speratic , I don't know ......... If it keeps it up it's gonnna get a 45. hole in it ......................