Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Couldn't Resist, Michelin's This Time Around

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Couldn't Resist, Michelin's This Time Around

Well, as you all know I've been checking out and researching out a number of tires, Wrangler Duratracs, Bridgestone Revos, which I had before with great results, Hankook Dynapros ATM's, Wally's Laredo's and going just a bit bigger, maybe a 305 or 315 but man did those prices skyrocket with those bigger tires. I really wanted to fill those wheel wells so to speak but knew I'd loose efficiency. I weighted out my situation, I drive highway 99.9% of the time, basically no off-road and beings we get two major snowstorms a year, the other 358 days in the year was just the norm, rain, light snow, exct. I decided since my truck was the family wagon on long trips, vacations, visiting family and my 90 mile round trip to work, I wanted a quiet nice riding dependable tire. I went with the Michelin AT2's 285-75-16 E rated tires LTX A/T2 | Michelin Tires and although it cost me just under a grand installed it was the best money I've spent in a long time. Just the ride home 12 miles or so getting installed I can't believe how quiet they are, not to mention the handling characteristics. My Yoko Geolander ATS lasted about 60,000, about 20,000 more than the 40,000 recommended life span and I felt every shimmy and noise from these tires I could handle, they were shot. Rick (Miller-feed) was right and everybody else that has them, great tire period.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good choice..Mike.. I really like my LTX's.. they wear like iron.. and ride smooth.. i have never have had a flat tire using Michelins..

Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The picture shows a four bar tire. Is the tire really only four bar?

Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good choice Mike. I have had good luck with Michelins. A bit pricey, but well worth the money if you can get the mileage out of em.
Rick got 80k out of his first set, that sure beats the 18k I got out of my chinese tires....and the 40k my boss got out of his Firestone Transforce on his 01 F350.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
Good choice..Mike.. I really like my LTX's.. they wear like iron.. and ride smooth.. i have never have had a flat tire using Michelins..
Ditto on the LTX, I've had good luck with them

Old 04-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got the tire thing worked out, Mike. Happy for you!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What can I say.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Your gonna love em Mike, thats the same tire I am running. I have 35k on them and i am at about 1/2 tread. They are well worth the price!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Congrats, Mike!!

The LTX M/S and the LTX AT2 are not quite the same tire. The AT2's are only a couple of years old while the M/S's have been out for a long time.

That said, I am still completely in love with my AT2's. I have them on both my F250 and my Excursion. Exceptionally smooth and quiet, but you can definitely feel the bite they have on the road.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I'm doing those next time -- I thought I'd give the Hankooks a shot after running the Good Year Silent Armors, and they are a bit disappointing. The Good Years handled way better, there is a lot more side-to-side roll with these, especially over 70 MPH.... Not too happy at almost $800 for the set.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Bowie
Elder User
I love these tires too, but my bro in law has the M/S tires and he had one blow on him and it caused a ton of damage to the fender, Michelin did not cover the cost of the repair. He was pissed. He is still using those tires and says he still loves them though.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dn29626
The picture shows a four bar tire. Is the tire really only four bar?
Not sure what you mean David but somebody here will tell you I'm sure..

Originally Posted by Franko72
Good choice Mike. I have had good luck with Michelins. A bit pricey, but well worth the money if you can get the mileage out of em.
Rick got 80k out of his first set, that sure beats the 18k I got out of my chinese tires....and the 40k my boss got out of his Firestone Transforce on his 01 F350.
Yea, not exactly what I wanted to spend Franko but the mileage factor and just a great riding tire sold me on them, can't wait for a long trip now...

Originally Posted by Waynenap
Glad you got the tire thing worked out, Mike. Happy for you!
Thanks Wayne, you know I appreciate the help and offer on those hubs brother, I'll never forget that. Like I said above, not exactly what I wanted to pay but the mileage and ride sold me, won't need tires for another 2 or 3 years now.

Originally Posted by miller_feed

What can I say.
Thanks Rick

Originally Posted by RedBoat
Your gonna love em Mike, thats the same tire I am running. I have 35k on them and i am at about 1/2 tread. They are well worth the price!
Great to hear Costa...

Originally Posted by F250_
Congrats, Mike!!

The LTX M/S and the LTX AT2 are not quite the same tire. The AT2's are only a couple of years old while the M/S's have been out for a long time.

That said, I am still completely in love with my AT2's. I have them on both my F250 and my Excursion. Exceptionally smooth and quiet, but you can definitely feel the bite they have on the road.
Hello Pete. I actually at first ordered the LTX M-S tire but he called me back 2 days later and told me they were back ordered and couldn't find any around locally so I asked about the LTX AT2's which he said he can get. Just some up to date info, Michelin is coming out with a better tread pattern in the LTX M-S highway tire, its the LTX M-S 2's.

Originally Posted by Izzy351
I'm doing those next time -- I thought I'd give the Hankooks a shot after running the Good Year Silent Armors, and they are a bit disappointing. The Good Years handled way better, there is a lot more side-to-side roll with these, especially over 70 MPH.... Not too happy at almost $800 for the set.
I was really thinking of getting those cause a coworker said he liked them on his Ex. I weighted out the difference here too and for the extra hundred and a half the mileage factor sealed the deal. With these tires too Joe, whether its a selling point, 30 money back garranty if not satisfied plus tire flat roadside towing assistance plus lifetime tire rotations. I'll have to double check the roadside assistance and how long mileage wise again but I believe I read that from the Michelin tire display at the tire dealer shop.

Originally Posted by Bowie
I love these tires too, but my bro in law has the M/S tires and he had one blow on him and it caused a ton of damage to the fender, Michelin did not cover the cost of the repair. He was pissed. He is still using those tires and says he still loves them though.
What a bummer, how many miles were on the tire when this happened???

Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Bowie
Elder User
Originally Posted by big poppa

What a bummer, how many miles were on the tire when this happened???
There was about 15,000 on them. Costco installed them and all they would do is give them a new tire. He had to go through insurance to get it fixed. He was just driving on the freeway and the back left tire blew. Luckily he was not pulling his horse trailer. The wires were all wrapped around the axel real bad and was tough to get off.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
big poppa

The picture shown here is a four bar tire.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

Will you post a picture of your tires tread. I will count the bars.
Thanks.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
55k trouble free on my AT/2s right now and at about 9/32"+ tread depth still. Fully expect 75k or better. Worth the cost of admission considering I've never gotten more than 40k safe miles on any E rated tire before. Good choice.

Quick Reply: Couldn't Resist, Michelin's This Time Around