Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you fix this?

Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 PM
GBuckert
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you fix this?

Took the pickup in to a tire shop earlier to see if they could test for flat spots (it had set for 4 years in a pasture before I bought it this fall) because it shakes at highway speeds. The shaking varies in intensity not so much with speed, but rather it changes everytime I go around a corner. Figure it's the tires because the outside tires rotate that little bit further, sometimes the shake is really bad, sometimes it's just a little vibration. Nothing like a death wobble or anything that I have to stop or even slow down for.

Anyway we noticed at the tire shop when he was checking the wear that it's leaning to the side. Brought over a guy that has known about Fords all his life and he spotted this right away...

Looks like the front passenger side spring rotated out of place. Not going to jack up that wheel until something keeps it from launching at my face. All the shops are currently closed so I can't take it to a mechanic which is what I'll probably do, haven't done any suspension work myself yet.

Any of you fix something like this at home or have any idea how it happens?

Old 04-09-2011, 07:16 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
somehow the spring jumped completely out of the pocket, i wouldn't drive it like it is! Put a chain through the spring and chain it off to the frame. Jack the truck up to where there is no tension on the spring, ndo the clip, get the spring back into that pocket, and refasten the clip to the spring. Easy fix. Happened because of abuse more than likely, looks like the truck was airborne at some point, causing the spring to fall out of the pocket.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:41 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad bumps and jumps do that

Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Welp....Looks like your Dukes of Hazzard days are over..

-Wes

Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 PM
GBuckert
Senior User
Originally Posted by superdutymj
Jack the truck up to where there is no tension on the spring, ndo the clip, get the spring back into that pocket, and refasten the clip to the spring. Easy fix.
Is it possible to do that without a spring compressor? I've always had the assumption that you need to compress the springs to get them back in.

I wish I could say I jumped it, but the power just isn't there. I did slide off of a dam and that tire was the one dangling over the edge. The weight of that corner was supported by my step on that side. Someday I'll build me a prerunner style truck to do some real jumping.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
No need to compress the springs to get them back in. I didn't even use a compresser when I put my 4" lift springs in. Some people will tell you that you need to, but I will tell you from experience that it can easily be done without. Remember, if force isn't working, you're simply not using enough of it!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
big-ugly is right. I've done this a couple times. one you jack the frame up so that the axel is hanging, then there is almost no tension at all.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:45 PM
GBuckert
Senior User
Alright, well next question, with the top already being disconnected, is there a chance for it to fly off? The posts I've found they didn't remove it until after it was already suspended. I have no idea how much travel is in the spring.

My only worry now is that it'll try to go through my roommate's bedroom wall while I'm jacking it up because it's not currently fastened.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Blue Rebel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spring compressors are only for struts, like what you find on a car. On these trucks, if you jack the frame up high enough that the wheel is hanging, there will be no pressure on the spring, and yours will literally fall away. No danger at all once you have the truck jacked up. Theres actually a higher chance of it popping out while its just sitting there.

And no, it wont go flying anywhere anyways, its also attatched to the truck at the bottom of the spring

Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 PM
GBuckert
Senior User
Ha, I didn't even think of the bottom attachment. Alright, thanks guys! Weather and homework permitting, I'll jack that front end up tomorrow and try to reseat the spring.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:15 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Remember jackstands. We don't want to hear about you getting crushed fixing a popped-out spring!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Remember what Confucious say: Man who not use jackstands; Has promising career as jackstand....

-Wes

Old 04-10-2011, 07:40 AM
GTGT_bangbang
Freshman User
waitaminnit .. cant you fix a jumped out spring by doing a jump in reverse ?

Old 04-10-2011, 07:56 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll need to unbolt the shock to allow the suspension to drop enough to get the spring back in.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:58 AM
USMC0351fordtruckin
Senior User
it looks like to me that 1 of the rings broke off the top and thats y it popped out of place, thats what happened to me... but its kind of hard to tell in the pic but the top ring of ur spring should be smaller than the others (except the bottom 1 thats even smaller)...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How would you fix this?