Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softopper

Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Lloydable
Senior User
Lloydable has a good reputation on FTE.Lloydable has a good reputation on FTE.Lloydable has a good reputation on FTE.
Softopper

Hey,
I did some searching on here, and couldn't really see anyone who had used one of these and documented it.

This is an awesome product. The only two downsides are it doesn't lock, and when it folds forward it is not totally out of the way, but it is super easy to remove.

I had a big fiber glass topper, and it's just annoying when you have to have a second person to move it, a place to put it, and blah blah blah, so its sort of on or off for months at a time. I have a pretty extreme preference that my truck look like a truck, and not an excursion (nothing against those, but I bought a pickup for a reason )

By the same token, I like sleeping out of the back, protecting my stuff from the elements, and peering eyes to some degree, and I need a really versatile place to keep the dog, where i could get a lot of air moving through it on warm days. Anyway, I sold my fiberglass one and bought one of these. I am thrilled thus far.

Color choice was hard, but because i am in the woods so much, i thought a tan would be pretty cool, and it should be cooler inside than black.

Anyway, you can walk up and shake the top, and the whole truck moves with it, there is no play. I have had it at 85 in a cross wind, and there was not waving or flapping in the structure. (the canopy moves some around the structure, but the actual aluminum or whatever doesn't move at all).
I doused it with water, and no leaks, i was trying to make it leak.

Anyway, I wanted to put a review up because i couldn't find one. I am confident it will hold up over the summer and winter, but I will keep you posted. So far, its versatile like they say (comes up and down in 2 minutes or so), super sturdy, looks pretty good in my opinion , doesn't leak, and now i have the ability to have my pickup, and my SUV within 2 minutes, minus locking the back.... pretty sweet!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Nice review and pics.

One helluva structure underneath the fabric. Certainly looks sturdy.

Who makes it? I couldn't read that tag on the back. Do you have a link?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:22 PM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
bobbyrjw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bobbyrjw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think that "spdmpo" had one on his truck last year at the RRE. It was also tan.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Lloydable
Senior User
Lloydable has a good reputation on FTE.Lloydable has a good reputation on FTE.Lloydable has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD View Post
Nice review and pics.

One helluva structure underneath the fabric. Certainly looks sturdy.

Who makes it? I couldn't read that tag on the back. Do you have a link?
thanks!

yea, I am extremely impressed with it. We have had some heavy winds and snow and nothing seems to matter to it. I have yet to see the structure shake or move at all.

It is made in Boulder at Softopper - Pickup Truck Toppers, Camper Shells & Caps - Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge & More

Old 04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
SOFTOPPER is the maker. I thought that was a generic term you used in title.

Thanks for the link. I was pleasantly surprised by the price.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM
SDElwood
The BeerMaster
SDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputationSDElwood has a superb reputation
How well do you think it would handle snow?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM
texas5.0
Junior User
texas5.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thats cool I like it for sleeping in the back when at the beach.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.
It's pretty sweet looking, looks real handy too!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.
OK...WOW!!! I just checked out their website and I must have read wrong or something, but the price I saw was $679??? is that right? For a long box? If so I know what I'll be my hard shell for when the time comes.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Waynenap has a good reputation on FTE.Waynenap has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD View Post
I was pleasantly surprised by the price.
I was too.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 AM
Rubes1982
New User
Rubes1982 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any issues after all these years with it?

Old 08-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud of
Softopper makes a hell of a top. My next soft top on my Wrangler will be a Softopper.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 AM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
There is a guy locally that runs one of these. I always liked the look of them. I am not a full top kinda guy but if I had to go with one these are a nice choice.