Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My 7.3 aspires to be a snowcat

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 7.3 aspires to be a snowcat

I went camping last night and it snowed quite a bit on me. Good times!

Thought you all would enjoy this video and some 7.3 Excursion pics!

Facebook Post

Sunday night camp.

Monday Morning Camp.

The only badge I've ever liked

Another shot of camp

Ready to roll!

This is my favorite of the bunch

After 5 miles or so in 6 to 12 inches of snow. Makes me very happy!

Then I had to switch trucks and get to work plowing. Can't complain at all!

Hope you enjoy!

Old 11-17-2015, 06:37 AM
mrbdmorris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice. I live down in Pueblo (the Blo) and we didn't get anything. I was hoping to wake up to some white stuff down here too.
We went camping out in Rio Grande Nat'l Forrest last January south of Del Norte/South Fork and had about 3 feet of snow on the ground. Buried my Jeep in a snow berm and spend most of a day digging out. Ended up camping in the Jeep and my son had a blast! I imagine the Ex is a little more comfy as a camper.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by mrbdmorris
Nice. I live down in Pueblo (the Blo) and we didn't get anything. I was hoping to wake up to some white stuff down here too.
We went camping out in Rio Grande Nat'l Forrest last January south of Del Norte/South Fork and had about 3 feet of snow on the ground. Buried my Jeep in a snow berm and spend most of a day digging out. Ended up camping in the Jeep and my son had a blast! I imagine the Ex is a little more comfy as a camper.
Interesting, I know COS is getting pummeled and the wind from here to there is ferocious. I guess I 70 is closed both directions for a good stretch.

Sounds like a good time. Yea, You have about 9 ft from the back of the chairs to the tail gate. It's by far my favorite camping rig!! I don't even have to unload it. Just the water and cooler come out, shift the seat forward, and BAM! Camping. I leave it loaded like this all the time!

Old 11-17-2015, 10:44 AM
th67ss
Senior User
Great pictures, Thanks for sharing!

Btw you guy's can keep the snow....I'm really happy with my mild temps.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun. Although, seeing this stuff just confirms my suspicions that I am no longer a northern person except for in the summer, then I love the mountains of CO and ID.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:37 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Snow. What's that? Here along the Texas Gulf Coast I'm still wearing tee shirts. The temps just now starting to drop into the "frigid" 40's and 50's at night.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Looks really good. That's the way our hunting camps use to look. Haven't been in a while. I really miss it. Maybe next year. I was looking at an EX just the other day, it had a V10. For me a deal killer.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
The photo below has good composition.

It would have made a nice cover photo for the Excursion brochure, because the road ahead is truly untraveled, and the road behind was conquered.

Also, with the truck heading to the horizon line toward the spine of this imaginary brochure, it inspires you to turn the page, to see what's on the inside.

Ford probably could have sold a few more Excursions with your photography. As I recall, Ford's cover photo had the Excursion like a high speed Ewok darn near running us over in the redwood forest, rather than leaving us to chase after the dream of independent camping, like your photo does.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by th67ss
Great pictures, Thanks for sharing!

Btw you guy's can keep the snow....I'm really happy with my mild temps.
Thanks! We'll take it!

Originally Posted by Sous
Looks like a lot of fun. Although, seeing this stuff just confirms my suspicions that I am no longer a northern person except for in the summer, then I love the mountains of CO and ID.
I love the variable weather, but for me it's always summer!

Originally Posted by mueckster
Snow. What's that? Here along the Texas Gulf Coast I'm still wearing tee shirts. The temps just now starting to drop into the "frigid" 40's and 50's at night.
But doesn't it get real hot there in the summer? above 78 is getting too hot for me. I'd take 0 over 100 any day. Luckily, we all have those options

Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Looks really good. That's the way our hunting camps use to look. Haven't been in a while. I really miss it. Maybe next year. I was looking at an EX just the other day, it had a V10. For me a deal killer.
Nothing like being out in the mountains! I wouldn't buy a V10 one either. But this thing with the 7.3 is the ultimate vehicle for me!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
The photo below has good composition.

It would have made a nice cover photo for the Excursion brochure, because the road ahead is truly untraveled, and the road behind was conquered.

Also, with the truck heading to the horizon line toward the spine of this imaginary brochure, it inspires you to turn the page, to see what's on the inside.

Ford probably could have sold a few more Excursions with your photography. As I recall, Ford's cover photo had the Excursion like a high speed Ewok darn near running us over in the redwood forest, rather than leaving us to chase after the dream of independent camping, like your photo does.

Dang, that's one heck of a compliment. Thank you! I get made fun of a lot for how many pictures I take of my truck, but you nailed exactly what I see in it and why I try to capture those moments! I appreciate it!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:59 PM
mrbdmorris
Senior User
Definitely some great pics. Mine always come out looking like I used a 1984 Polaroid knockoff and didn't shake the picture enough.
I work out at the test track and we got 0 snow here too (we can see Fountain's lights from here). Winds have been gusting to over 70 all day though. Our classrooms sound like they're going to fly apart.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:01 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Originally Posted by Lloydable
Dang, that's one heck of a compliment. Thank you! I get made fun of a lot for how many pictures I take of my truck, but you nailed exactly what I see in it and why I try to capture those moments! I appreciate it!

I'm sorry to hear that. Remind them it's digital, doesn't cost anything to snap one more nowadays. (I don't miss the days counting carefully how many frames remained on the roll, and if it was worth it to sacrifice another frame with a different exposure setting that was impossible to verify other than through a meter.)

Let's put the question to our brothers and sisters here on FTE. Compare and contrast the two photos, Ford's and Llyodable's, and pick which one you would put on the front cover of the brochure.

Here's the front cover of the actual Ford brochure that announced the debut of the 2000 Ford Excursion:

Note: The completely blown out highlight on the grille is as Ford shot it, not my flash reflecting on the sheen of the brochure. I had my flash turned off, and dragged the shutter to 1/25th with the aperture wide open at 2.8 so that I could keep the ISO at 200 to minimize color noise and not use flash. The camera I used to "photo copy" this brochure is a 10 year old point & shoot: Canon Digital Elph, nothing new, nothing big, nothing fancy.

Ok, take a look at the official debut photo of the Excursion. It makes me feel like I'm a squirrel on the forest floor about to get my furry tail run over... by yet another Ford SUV beginning with the letter E that is trampling over the environment. Seriously, what was Jacques Nasser thinking when this photo got approved?

It's a pretty photo, because the trees make it so, but compositionally, it sends the wrong message about this vehicle. Or no message at all.

We see a grille and a tire. OKaaaay.

What does that tell us, in an instant glance, about the capabilities of this vehicle? Nothing, other than it had a different grille design than the Super Duty. And the fact that we, as viewers, are literally getting run over by this SUV made it a perfect poster for the media who made the Excursion the poster vehicle for environmental ruin.

The Ford photo promoted a product.

Your photo promotes the possibilities...

Try doing this in a minivan.

Instead of the grille, we see the far more important part of this vehicle... the part that made it new, and better than anything like it made before or since. Capacity. Space. Doors. A place. A place to bring family, friends, and fun.

The story of the Excursion is all about the back half of the vehicle, not the front. Here, for the first time, was an SUV with a GVWR of 9,200 lbs in some configurations. Factory built too... not some Centurion built aftermarket cobbling together of a Bronco rear on top of a crew cab F350 SRW at some gargantuanly long 172" wb.

The Excursion had the same wheel base as a regular cab pickup, but instead of a wall behind the front seat, there was common space all the way to the tail lights, where a family could all sit together, seat belted safely in FMVSS approved seating... not rolling around loose in pickup bed on a Carpet Kit like a dog under a fiberglass cap.

Lloydable's photo tells the story of the possibilities instantaneously in one single frame. We see the vehicle from the driver's side, inviting us to walk up and jump in and continue on that yet untraveled adventure that lies ahead. To get in and Go Further.

And that's what people buy a vehicle like this for. Not because they like egg crate grilles.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:53 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lloydable's photo tells the story of the possibilities instantaneously in one single frame. We see the vehicle from the driver's side, inviting us to walk up and get in and continue on that yet untraveled adventure that lies ahead.
LLoyd, great photos, love the fire! Get in and continue your adventure this direction with your ski sticks!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
I'm sorry to hear that. Remind them it's digital, doesn't cost anything to snap one more nowadays. (I don't miss the days counting carefully how many frames remained on the roll, and if it was worth it to sacrifice another frame with a different exposure setting that was impossible to verify other than through a meter.)

Let's put the question to our brothers and sisters here on FTE. Compare and contrast the two photos, Ford's and Llyodable's, and pick which one you would put on the front cover of the brochure.

Here's the front cover of the actual Ford brochure that announced the debut of the 2000 Ford Excursion:

Note: The completely blown out highlight on the grille is as Ford shot it, not my flash reflecting on the sheen of the brochure. I had my flash turned off, and dragged the shutter to 1/25th with the aperture wide open at 2.8 so that I could keep the ISO at 200 to minimize color noise and not use flash. The camera I used to "photo copy" this brochure is a 10 year old point & shoot: Canon Digital Elph, nothing new, nothing big, nothing fancy.

Ok, take a look at the official debut photo of the Excursion. It makes me feel like I'm a squirrel on the forest floor about to get my furry tail run over... by yet another Ford SUV beginning with the letter E that is trampling over the environment. Seriously, what was Jacques Nasser thinking when this photo got approved?

It's a pretty photo, because the trees make it so, but compositionally, it sends the wrong message about this vehicle. Or no message at all.

We see a grille and a tire. OKaaaay.

What does that tell us, in an instant glance, about the capabilities of this vehicle? Nothing, other than it had a different grille design than the Super Duty. And the fact that we, as viewers, are literally getting run over by this SUV made it a perfect poster for the media who made the Excursion the poster vehicle for environmental ruin.

The Ford photo promoted a product.

Your photo promotes the possibilities...

Try doing this in a minivan.

Instead of the grille, we see the far more important part of this vehicle... the part that made it new, and better than anything like it made before or since. Capacity. Space. Doors. A place. A place to bring family and fun.

The story of the Excursion is all about the back half of the vehicle, not the front. Here, for the first time, was an SUV with a GVWR of 9,200 lbs in some configurations. Factory built too... not some Centurion built aftermarket cobbling together of a Bronco rear on top of a crew cab F350 SRW at some gargantuanly long 172" wb.

The Excursion had the same wheel base as a regular cab pickup, but instead of a wall behind the front seat, there was common space all the way to the tail lights, where a family could all sit together, seat belted safely in FMVSS approved seating... not rolling around loose in pickup bed on a Carpet Kit like a dog under a fiberglass cap.

Lloydable's photo tells the story of the possibilities instantaneously in one single frame. We see the vehicle from the driver's side, inviting us to walk up and get in and continue on that yet untraveled adventure that lies ahead. We see a capability to get there, with family and friends too.

And that's what people buy a vehicle like this for. Not because they like egg crate grilles.
This makes me very happy! Thanks again! Pretty awesome description too. Are you in marketing/sales?

Originally Posted by DND58
LLoyd, great photos, love the fire! Get in and continue your adventure this direction with your ski sticks!
Will do. I'd like to head up that way this winter!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Great photos and video! Thanks for posting them, I'm looking forward to winter now...

Quick Reply: My 7.3 aspires to be a snowcat