6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Brand new and Broken Down

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:50 PM
20inches
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new and Broken Down

So my brand new 2011 Ford diesel with 380.1 miles on it just got towed to the dealer. I was driving home and I got a "reduced power warning" and check engine light. I called the dealer and he said we close in a hour so you'll have to wait until Monday. He didn't think there would be a problem driving it until then. Well I drove it half a mile from my house and diesel starting pouring out of it and it quit cold in the middle of the road. Ford roadside assistance didn't impress me at all. FORD products/services have some work to do to say the least.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:12 PM
bigwhite7.3
Freshman User
Man that sucks, the 6.7 is supposed to be a great engine I wonder what caused that.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:28 PM
11superduty
Junior User
Wow That sucks !!!Not the way you want your first post to read, let us know what you find to be the problem, Good luck! and BTW welcome to FTE...

Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
another failed HPFP maybe?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:46 PM
20inches
New User
I'm sure this will have a happy ending, just a little pissed off right now.

Great site BTW, lots of good info.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
AMEC Electric LLC
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
That sucks man! Keep us posted.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:17 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwhite7.3
Man that sucks, the 6.7 is supposed to be a great engine I wonder what caused that.
While this isn't good at all, it's not necessarily an engine issue.
Regardless what it turns out to be, it sucks.

20inches, let us know what it turns out to be.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:40 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The initial systems combined with the fuel leak sure looks like a HPFP issue. The only other HPFP failure posted here did keep running though...Let us know what they find

My truck experienced an engine fan clutch failure at 3500 miles...it is the only fan clutch failure I have heard about on any of the web boards. I was aggravated when it happened but the repair only took 2 hours. All has been fine since.

Stuff happens..they will fix it

Regards

Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
another failed HPFP maybe?
Seems very probable....a pain to be sure, but also very fixable.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:46 PM
fast_st
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The worst part of roadside assistance is that everyone seems to contract out to the same pool, switch from say Ford to AAA to Good Sam roadside assistance, the exact same company shows up.

I hope a pile of good fortune blows your way and you never have to use the RA again.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you just happen to see a trail of diesel on the road? Did the dealer issue a loaner truck for you while Ford gets it fixed?
What dealer are you working with? Oh yea welcome to the site!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by 20inches
So my brand new 2011 Ford diesel with 380.1 miles on it just got towed to the dealer. I was driving home and I got a "reduced power warning" and check engine light. I called the dealer and he said we close in a hour so you'll have to wait until Monday. He didn't think there would be a problem driving it until then. Well I drove it half a mile from my house and diesel starting pouring out of it and it quit cold in the middle of the road. Ford roadside assistance didn't impress me at all. FORD products/services have some work to do to say the least.
Bummer. But maybe thoes things happen sometimes on new trucks. However, it doesn't seem like the dealer was very symphetic. Having to close the office in an hour does not allow them to ignore a customer in trouble. They should have given you a lowner car and taken care of your truck. I would talk to the dealer manager. When paying $50,000 you should get better service.
ken

Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 AM
20inches
New User
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
Did you just happen to see a trail of diesel on the road? Did the dealer issue a loaner truck for you while Ford gets it fixed?
What dealer are you working with? Oh yea welcome to the site!
Yes I did see a trail of diesel on the road. My dealer Tomball Ford hasn't been very helpful at all, no loaner truck nothing. The truck would start back up and run for a couple minutes but fuel was pouring out of the passenger side of the engine.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Truckland
New User
Originally Posted by 20inches
Yes I did see a trail of diesel on the road. My dealer Tomball Ford hasn't been very helpful at all, no loaner truck nothing. The truck would start back up and run for a couple minutes but fuel was pouring out of the passenger side of the engine.
Yessir, same issue here except mine held together for several thousand miles before it blew a hole in the HPFP housing. I was towing a 37' fifth wheel uphill when my "Reduced Engine Power" warning came on along with the CEL. Fuel poured down the passenger side, most of it running down the oil filter or that general area. Fortunately for me, I was able to hobble it a few hours back to home without dragging the extra 13k pounds. Mine never completely quit running.

The good news is that it doesn't appear that any shrapnel got into the system or engine to cause further damage. The truck stayed at the dealer for three days. They put dye into the fuel system and did brake stands in the parking lot to raise the fuel pressure. They replaced the HPFP and the connecting lines, gaskets, etc.

Neither the dealer nor Ford was willing to lift a finger to make the process any easier to swallow, not even a loaner. Customer service was suckola, but the mechanic did good work. I've run the truck fairly hard since getting it back, including pulling the RV uphill at 80+mph. NO problems since.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM
fast_st
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Truckland
...pulling the RV uphill ...
..at 80+mph
Damn, My good ol 99 7.3 wouldn't do that, unless the trailer had
lit JATO bottles attached. Serious prime mover there.

Quick Reply: Brand new and Broken Down