Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Auxillary tank problem (Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
ah1988
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxillary tank problem (Vid)

I have a alumminum fule tank in my bed that i want to drain and clean it because it has about 20gal of contaminated diesel in it , but it dose not have a drain plug to let the fule drain out , and i would love nothing more but to drain it through all the fittings but i cant figure out how i should pull the fittings apart I honestly have no idea how they even installed it the way they did , has anyone else had this problem. I would like to have a drain valve installed on the tank itself any reccommendations on how i should do that? Dose anyone know of a place that would do all this junk for me ? And last question what fule filter setup would you reccomend putting on this tank i would like to have one that can bee installed imbetween the line going from the aux. tank into my stock fule tank under the bed , would i need to install a pump to push the fule through the filter into the tank, or would gravity do the trick? Enjoy the vid just click on it
Pictures by ah1988f350 - Photobucket

Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
go and buy a cheap sypin pump easyest way to pump it out i can think of

Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ya, the siphon pump is gonna take forever, they are usually 1/4" lines. your better off getting a 1/2" tube, shove one end down in the bottom corner of the tank, get a few fuel cans/buckets ready to swap into. suck on the tube til the fuel starts flowing and let it drain. should only take 15 minutes or so. as long as you dont have big chunks of stuff that will stop the flow then you should be fine. you can always take the tank out too and have your local radiator shop hot tank it. they can coat the inside too to prevent the fuel from eating away at the tank and prevent any holes.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
ah1988
Senior User
Thanks didnt think of the rad shop, do you have a drain plug on your tank, if so what size is it and where did you put it, is it welded or is it threaded in ? Could you reccomend me one or give me any pointers i dont want to have to go through this again.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
i would do what oreo said to do (make sure the hose you use is clear so you dont swallow a bunch of diesel) and then take it to the radiator shop

the inline filter is a great idea! thats how almost all inbed fill tanks come now... the only thing is they pull the fuel up through the filter and push it to the oem tanks and have a float that will shut the pump off when the tank get to about 1/4 empty so it wont burn the pump up, it is also wired to a switch inside the cab as a master cut off

Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM
ah1988
Senior User
Is there a kit for that and how would i need to install that because my filller hole is threaded for a jerrry can lid and it is not the same threads
as a regular fule cap

Old 03-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
best way i can tell ya lol... look up transferflow tanks on there site and see what they have to offer, with what your tanks is and looks like i doubt that a kit will fit perfectly. You might have to get a kit and do some fabbing. Id say check them out and see what they got, thats who we get all our tanks through to install on trucks. Well we do get some from titan, but i like the transferflow better.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
If I were you, I would re-plumb that tank and provide for a drain somewhere beneath the bed. Have a cutoff to the main tanks and tee in another valve that can be used for flushing/draining purposes. I would also have an inline filter/water separator before the main tank. Having it cleaned and lined is not a bad idea, either.

use the largest diameter pipe the tank allows for so that chunks can flow out more easily when draining the tank. Also consider hopping the opposite side of the truck up on a curb to help the fuel flow to the drain side.

I am actually considering buying a 100 or so gallon tank for my truck so I can stock up on fuel before the price jumps again. I would be using a pump on top to transfer it into my tanks, though.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
i welded a bung for a 1/2" npt fitting on the bottom. thats how my fuel gravity feeds to my main tanks. and ya, the 100 gallon tank is a great way to go. if it is there like it is here, theres a place 30 minutes from here where the fuel is 8-30 cents a gallon cheaper then anywhere on my drive from here to LA, vegas or san diego. fill up here once and im good to go til i get back. then fill up again and enjoy the savings. and not having to fill up until you get 1500 or so miles on the truck is a great addition.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oreo, but when it comes to filling up that 100-gallon tank it gets interesting... I should know, I got three times that capacity - should have seen the look on the poor gas station attendant's face when I slapped ten $100 bills on the desk and said that should be about enough but to keep the pump running anyways, lol. And to think I was shaking my head when I saw Izumi's receipt for 150 gallons of fuel at once (factory front tank, Bronco rear, and 100-gallon semi tank in the bed), with the current prices I can easily double that expense if I let it run real low...

Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
been there, done that. I had this 100 gallon in my gasser chevy. 100 gallon plus the 28 gallon main tank at 5.28 a gallon. I'd go in with 700 cash and say "im not expecting much change back" still to this day habeeb asks me when I'm gonna bring that truck back for gas lol

Old 03-23-2011, 01:29 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yah, if I have to fill mine up from vapors to the brim at that price you paid I'll probably just shoot the clerk and rob the gas station - that would be like $1500 of a fuel bill

Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
My local quick lube place will siphon out the diesel just like they do on gear boxes you just pay the labor and recycling fees. I have had it done twice for bad fuel.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:11 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow - what state was this? Living in Texas, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a pump that dispensed both diesel and gas through the same system. Handle color doesn't matter, though most are yellow or green. Always want to check what you put in it. If you were at a Diesel pump for sure, and it gave you a receipt indicating gas, it could be a bug with the pump or payment system and maybe you didn't get gas. I would have the fuel looked at before I do anything at all, including using the vehicle anymore.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:31 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,107 Likes on 2,168 Posts
this thread is 9 years old.

Quick Reply: Auxillary tank problem (Vid)