Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Super duty steering box

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM
2002f350sd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Super duty steering box

Hi I have a 2002 f350 super duty, lariat, crew cab, 8' bed, on a 4" lift, with kumho 35s, and it is a 7.3 with 150,xxx miles.
And recently I took it to get aligned one place and they drove it and checked it out and said everything was in align which I thought was odd but I drove it and shortly (a couple weeks or so) I noticed I was Geting a poping when making a sharp turn well I checked it out and had 2 tie rods bad and both hub bearings starting to go bad and while i had the front end off the ground I had someone shake the wheel left and right as I looked at the steering box thinking the noise was there and there was some slack in the box but I wasn't sure if it was saposed to or not... so I replaced all 4 tie rods and and both hub bearings and went ahead and did front brake pads due to fords caliper pin idea and I had the same Problem on rear they rust and seaze up but nothing a propane torch, a can of arocroil, and Alot of hammering couldn't get out. But back to the noise I took it to get aligned and I noticed it was pulling to the left a little and the steering wheel was off about a inch or so to the right so after I picked it up as soon as I took off something did not feel right so I immediately called that shop and told them it was still pulling left and the wheel is off to the right he said there's obvoudly something wrong and to bring it back so I did and he called and said the alignment is to ford specs but all he could notice was some slack in the steering box so he drove it and the guy who aligned it there drove it and he tried to tell me that there was slack in the steering and and there's no return in the wheel? So as soon as I picked it up I backed it out and let go of the wheel and it returned not straight mind u because the wheel doesn't sit straight now anyway so he said he would replace the steering box and if that isn't it then it's like a tie rod is binding up but I just replaced all 4? So I drove it home and looked at it and called my normal mechanic and asked him cause he just checked out the slack in the box like the week before and he said it should not be doing that it just sounds like they are trying to get out of fixing the alignment..also the guy who aligned it said when u turn sometimes it takes a second to actually turn but when I was on the phone with my mechanic I started it and turned the wheel left and right and the tires was responsive as they should Beas toon as I turn wheel they turn
So here I sit still without my super duty and don't know what to do could someone help ASAP please I can send u pictures or videos through text message and maby email just let me know thanks guys

Old 03-18-2011, 04:14 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
If it really is a dead spot in the center of the steering, it can be adjusted out. Over time the internal parts wear and get slack. Ya tighten the preload on the gear to fix it. Look down the the steering box from above; on top center you will see a bolt with an allen head held by a locknut. Loosen the lock nut, tighten the bolt a little, and cinch down the nut again without letting the bolt move. Clean it first, the road grime can make it hard to turn. Test drive and repeat as necessary. A looong extension and a 5/8 crows foot for the nut, 3/16 allen for the bolt IIRC.

But be sure that is the problem first! Over tightening will destroy the steering box.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM
2002f350sd
New User
Thanks for the fast reply how should
I go about making
Sure it's the box? Could
It be anything else? I replaced all 4 tie
Rods both hub bearings and the ball joints are good?

Thanks

Old 03-18-2011, 04:24 PM
star
Freshman User
I have the same idenical truck all stock 93500 miles w/ 235/85/16 Good year dura Tracks.my steering is still loose .had tie rods fixed, ball joints + alignment done .steering has some slack..guess its the gear box,Im a welder not a machanic.Im in the same boat as u ..lets see if some one will shed some light on this

Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM
2002f350sd
New User
Hopefully so I can't wait to get it back on road I was so pumped after I got everything changed cause I figured it would drive beter than ever but then this now I can't drive it...

Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Couple of things. Your ball joints could be binding. The only way to really check this is to disconnect the tie rod end and swivel each wheel back and forth to see that they move smoothly. With new ball joints, they could be pretty stiff, but they shouldn't be impossibly hard to turn.

Also, my steering box only needed a tiny bit of tightening - like 1/16 of a turn. You can adjust the box, and this will help, but steering gears wear in the middle (mostly) because you're driving in a straight line most of time. You cannot adjust a steering box to 'like new' condition, but you can take out the worst of the slack. You will know it's too tight if you go around a corner and the wheel won't return normally. So, adjust your box with these expectations in mind. I have adjusted several other steering boxes with great results, but know when to quit adjusting.

You might find another alignment shop, if this one missed two bad tie rod ends and declared all to be well. Many shops take a very jaded view of lifted trucks and figure that it's 'your problem' if it won't align well. I understand this in some ways, but it doesn't let them off the hook for obvious stuff.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:04 PM
2002f350sd
New User
Thank u very much I'll try adjusting the box and if that does not work then I'll check the ball joints