Drag 300

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag 300

The whole idea of making a 300 do 110 mph in 5 sec is totally possible. I have about 6 master mechanics and 5 other top racers in drag(confidential) working on this set up. With a total of about 10k i can have this 300 running less than a 5 sec 1/8th. People do not realize the capability of this design it is insane.

So far numbers wise we will need a car with the driver to weight in at about 1500 pounds, this wont be difficult as long as its a compact car with a full fiber glass body and a role cage. Dont need anything but strap, gallon fuel cell for fuel and 1/4th gallon cell for methanol, a racing seat and a 5 point harness with a tach to shift, in total the car might weight 2k with the driver. Pushing over 450tq to the tires, and pushin 400hp, this thing will FLY!!!!!!

Still working out math but if i can get the compression i m looking for it will all play out. As well as the air flow, hardest thing is this restricted head. Let me know if u know any way to free up head besides minor port and polish? any ideas?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 AM
jem44357
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My hopes are my Roadster will weigh in at about 2300 lbs with me in it. I was thinking in the ball park of a 6.5 sec 1/8th with my 309 with 3 Weber's and a TCI AODE. That is if I ever finish it.

Jim

Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
If you're crazy enough, some people will take two high flowing V8 heads, cut off the 4th cylinder on each, and then weld them together. I think someone was doing them with LS1 heads.

Check out Fordsix.com and look up The Frenchtown Flyer. He made a custom dual overhead cam head for his racing 300.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
f100jim
Elder User
Go to youtube.com and search for "ftf300". You will find all of The Frenchtown Flyer's drag race videos. The car in the videos uses a Ford experimental cross-flow 300 head.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by f100jim
The car in the videos uses a Ford experimental cross-flow 300 head.
*sigh* The kinds of things you can get when you're a retired Ford engineer.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Nitesaber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked into it and there is no way to get a pure weld on the head that wont leak with the amount of pressure. Even if its brazed. It needs to be molded in one piece. I had a buddy try it and he ended up blowing his motor while racing on a track in Daytona. I will look into it tho. Alan Jackson used to make a cross flow head but it had no cooling channels!

If you know anyone who makes a cross flow for this motor let me know please. Will REALLY open up the motor to so much more possibilities.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 AM
AbandonedBronco
Right now, the only head readily available for the 300 is the stock head.

Classicinlines has been working on creating an aluminum head for it, but it's been in the works for quite some time (around 5 years or more) and progress is extremely slow. No recent updates, and no expected time until completion.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Right now, the only head readily available for the 300 is the stock head.

Classicinlines has been working on creating an aluminum head for it, but it's been in the works for quite some time (around 5 years or more) and progress is extremely slow. No recent updates, and no expected time until completion.
The old Ford Motorsports catalog used to list one that had no coolant passages; if you could scare one up it might work just fine for a drag car.
I don't think it was a crossflow head, though.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 PM
AbandonedBronco
True. I guess I should have mentioned that, especially since this is for a drag racer.

I think they're between $4-$8k, but I can't remember where to get them from.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Go to youtube.com and search for "ftf300". You will find all of The Frenchtown Flyer's drag race videos. The car in the videos uses a Ford experimental cross-flow 300 head.
That vid of FTF driving with the camera in his helmet is the best vid I've ever seen.

...to think that he once had the opportunity to keep a palette of xflow heads from being scrapped at Ford, well, all I can do is sigh. I still want to find, one day, an oem p/u with the Xflow head and turbo he said ford put out ... with more hp than a 460.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 AM
f100jim
Elder User
Wait a minute. If the OP is talking about a drag racer, Alan Johnson AJPE makes a solid aluminum crossflow head for the 300 for drag racing purposes. It is supposed to flow like the Amazon river.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM
AbandonedBronco
Thanks for providing that. I couldn't remember the link, or who made it.

I can imagine the flow on those is amazing. It's too bad they don't make them for street use.

But, like you said, the OP was asking for drag racing, which it'd be perfect for.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Check out Fordsix.com and look up The Frenchtown Flyer. He made a custom dual overhead cam head for his racing 300.
I don't think he made a DOHC head. I believe he made a valvecover that made it look like a DOHC. He is building that for his old indy type race car replica.

True. I guess I should have mentioned that, especially since this is for a drag racer.

I think they're between $4-$8k, but I can't remember where to get them from.
That head they use to sell in Ford catalogs is the AJPE head. And you are a few thousand short. The last time I checked ( a few years ago ) is was either $10,000 or $12,000 for a bare head. And then you can add another couple thousand dollars for the special valvetrain required for the head.

Wait a minute. If the OP is talking about a drag racer, Alan Johnson AJPE makes a solid aluminum crossflow head for the 300 for drag racing purposes. It is supposed to flow like the Amazon river.
It's a wicked head. But you better be one serious racer to spend around $15,000+ on the top end of your motor.

The 300 has plenty of potential. There are guys that are running 7 sec 1/4 miles with a 300 powered car.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 AM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by fordman75
I don't think he made a DOHC head. I believe he made a valvecover that made it look like a DOHC. He is building that for his old indy type race car replica.

That head they use to sell in Ford catalogs is the AJPE head. And you are a few thousand short. The last time I checked ( a few years ago ) is was either $10,000 or $12,000 for a bare head. And then you can add another couple thousand dollars for the special valvetrain required for the head.
Heh, well, I missed that part. He had me fooled I guess. Considering his skill, I thought it was a true DOHC.

As for the cost of the head, OUCH! I was only going on vague memory, but that's a bit more expensive than I had anticipated. That's definitely something you've got to commit to.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Heh, well, I missed that part. He had me fooled I guess. Considering his skill, I thought it was a true DOHC.

As for the cost of the head, OUCH! I was only going on vague memory, but that's a bit more expensive than I had anticipated. That's definitely something you've got to commit to.
If anyone could make a DOHC head for a 300 it's him. He definitely has the skills. But Hell he's making over 500hp with his modified crossflow head. So who needs DOHC!

Yea for the price of that AJ head you could buy a complete Jon Kaase Boss 429 top end kit for a 460! I really dig the 300's. But if I've got a choice between running a 300 or a Boss 429, I'm going with the shotgun! The Boss 429 is a wicked engine!

But my 54 4x4 project is getting a 300!

Quick Reply: Drag 300