Print Wikipost

New Explorer offroad capabilties?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
RhinoScores
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Explorer offroad capabilties?

I wasn't sure which thread this question shouold go into, but I have a 2007 Explorer with the V6 that I use offroad, mostly in loose sand on the beach, for fishing. Does anyone know the capabilities the new Explorer in 4x4?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
wwest
Junior User
Originally Posted by RhinoScores
I wasn't sure which thread this question shouold go into, but I have a 2007 Explorer with the V6 that I use offroad, mostly in loose sand on the beach, for fishing. Does anyone know the capabilities the new Explorer in 4x4?
No 4X4 or even 4WD capability.

FWD or F/awd only. SOLID coupling to the front drive and "soft", dynamically adjustable, drive to the rear. Patently UNSAFE even on wintertime adverse condition, slippery, roadbeds, let alone off-road.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:22 PM
RhinoScores
Senior User
Originally Posted by wwest

FWD or F/awd only. SOLID coupling to the front drive and "soft", dynamically adjustable, drive to the rear. Patently UNSAFE even on wintertime adverse condition, slippery, roadbeds, let alone off-road.
No 4x4 selector switch? Well that blows since many beaches don't allow full time AWD vehicles on the beach as they tend to dig themselves into the sand. Guess I'll have to keep the 2007 or perhaps get a one of Jeep's products ot a Tacoma.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wwest

WWest, what data do you have to support your claim?

While the "4wd" Explorer is really all wheel drive, meaning you cannot select between 2wd and a 4hi or 4low, and all wheels are somwhat powered even on dry pavement. The Terrain Management System (very closely related to that found on the Land Rover LR3 and Range Rover, very capable off roaders I might add) does allow for adjustments in the drivetrains response and "nanny controls" like throttle response, stability control, wheelspin, etc.

Sure, the 2011 Explorer is no rock crawler, but should be well suited for the average users off road needs. Meaning conditions like mild mud on fire roads, beach accesses, and snowy conditions should not be a problem at all. Now...this all comes with some common sense. Such as trying to drop the vehicle into 12" deep mud holes, or really soft rutted out sand banks, or 2ft deep uncleared snow, all of which would warrant a vehicle with more ground clearance, and more capability off road.

But back to the OP's question, I do think that the 2011 should fit your needs, and while it may be a little "softer" of a vehicle, it should not be ruled out of your potential search.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 2011 & Newer Explorer forum.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:52 AM
nkenney
Junior User
There is not that much offroad capability at all.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 AM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has less ground clearance then the old explorer.
It has no low range transfer case.
It has open front and rear differentials.

Instead of a true center differential/transfer case, it has a PTO which connects to an electronically controlled clutch pack at the rear differential. It engages the clutches to drive the rear wheels when it detects slip, other wise it stays in FWD. It will also default to FWD if the clutch pack over-heats or senses a condition that could lead to damage.

While I would say it's better than the average CUV, it's definitely a less off-road capable vehicle than the previous explorer. Its off-road prowess basically comes from the computer's ability to modulate the brakes and rear clutch pack retroactively. In contrast, a true 4WD system is much more proactive.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Let us not forget that there is comparison between the current gen Explorer and it's predecessor. Only the name remains the same.

This is not a truck nor is it intended to be. The days of an Explorer built on a Ranger chassis are long gone. The Explorer slowly evolved over the years into what we have today.

I wouldn't consider this vehicle for any off road use. In my opinion, it's strictly intended for on road service in all weather conditions.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I wouldn't use this truck off-road either, but if there is the need, i bet the truck can get you out of a hurry. I've seen all kind of claims without any real data to back them up, so those are OPINIONS, not FACTS. Until the truck has been properly tested and compared i would not make any claims about it. Of course, mechanical drivelines for the driveline will be more dependable than hidraulics and clutchs, yet the old Explorer wasn't all that much as an off-roader either. The new one just got better at what has been the task of this model for a while, an all-weather transport, yet it has the capability to help itself out of some snow/sand in a hurry, not a daily basis off-roader.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:00 AM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's one off-road test of the new Explorer:

http://youtu.be/135d_imepQU

Doesn't take much to get it stuck.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I wouldn't consider that stuck, he just rolled back and off he went, also, those tires didn't help at all, yet the video shows how that truck is no off-roader.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Nice find on the video. He makes my point for me. Keep this thing on road in all weather conditions and you'll likely be fine.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:51 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,098 Likes on 4,183 Posts
Encho made a good point...that wasn't stuck...and...with the proper tires and pedal modulation...there would have been no issue.

Ford didn't build this vehicle to be an Off Roader...it was built for the situations the vast majority of purchasers will experience. The Explorer hasn't really been a capable off roader since the redesign for the '02 model year. Of course...real 4X4 did help...but...the vast majority of drivers very rarely used it.

Ford wasn't looking to fill a niche...it was trying to make a vehicle that would appeal to the masses...and...produce profits for the company...and share holders. After all...that's what it's really all about.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 AM
dundonrl
5th Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
The Explorer hasn't really been a capable off roader since the redesign for the '02 model year. Of course...real 4X4 did help...but...the vast majority of drivers very rarely used it.
my 01 Explorer was ok in the mud, I almost had to use the winch to get me out of this mud hole..

Name:  IMG_6042.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  175.7 KB

Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dundonrl
my 01 Explorer was ok in the mud, I almost had to use the winch to get me out of this mud hole..

Either way this is most likely a situation that would have stopped a 2011+ Explorer dead in its tracks.

Quick Reply: New Explorer offroad capabilties?