Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 baby swamps

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
1977 f250
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1996 baby swamps

I'm looking at buying some Baby Swamp injectors. I am trying to find everything i should do to support the use of the upgraded injectors. all suggestions are very helpful. thanks alot!

Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are some things that I need to know. Obviously this is on a '96 PSD, but is this an auto transmission? Any other aftermarket parts already on the truck?

This is what you will need if you have a STOCK truck. You can install some Baby Swamps injectors on a dead stock truck and you will have little to no gain in power without tuning the truck via a chip. So, if your injectors are getting weak and your wanting to upgrade them, go ahead and do so, just do not add a chip yet.

Before adding programming to the mix to see real power you will need some guages. This is very important to make sure you don't melt your pistons or toast your transmission if you have an auto trans. Check out RiffRaff Diesel for some guages. If you have an auto trans, you will need a Pyrometer to monitor exhaust temps, a boost guage, and a transmission temperature guage.

You also need an intake to get rid of the junky factory air box that leaks unfiltered air past it. RiffRaff also has these for you. They use a large 6637 paper filter for good filtration and good air flow.

Also needed is a 4" exhaust system complete with an aftermarket downpipe. The factory downpipe is mashed up and doesn't flow well at all. The aftermarket downpipe is a full 3" all the way down and will require some minor modification of the firewall to floor board seam. You just need to bend the seam up to clear the downpipe. If you cannot afford the full 4" system, you can delete the stock cat and muffler in the stock exhaust system for the time being and add an aftermarket downpipe to get you by til you can finish the exhaust.

Next you may want to do the FPR shim to get fuel pressure up where it needs to be. See this link. TikiWiki : Shim Your Fuel Pressure Regulator 94-97

Now that you have addressed the air flow into the engine, out of the engine, have the correct fuel pressure, and have added guages to keep an eye on temps. You can add programming to your injectors to pull the power from them that they are capable of. For this you do NOT want an off the shelf programmer like a Superchip, Hypertech, Edge, etc. You want custom tuning for it. For this check out Total Diesel Performance(Tony Wildman), Power Hungry Performance(Bill Cohron), DP-Tuner(Jody Tipton), Swamps, Gearhead Automotive, and Beans Diesel Performance.

Being that your going with Swamps injectors, you might ask Dave about setting you up with a chip at the same time. He may make you a good deal on both items as a package deal.

Other things you can look at later down the road would be a better high pressure oil pump. Your Baby Swamps should run OK with the stock high pressure oil pump, but a little upgrade would be a good thing to look at.

Oh and I forgot, if you have an auto trans, you will need some upgrades for that also to run full power. An aftermarket valvebody from John Wood or BTS, bigger fluid cooler, and maybe a better torque converter should hold you pretty good until the inevitable happens. The transmission will quit eventually, those updates will hold it off for a good while IF your transmission is already in good shape.

If you have a manual trans you will eventually need a clutch from our boys at Valair Clutch. Just run the stock one til it slips or shows signs of weakness, then upgrade to a Valair single mass flywheel and clutch setup.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM
1977 f250
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks alot! I have the gauges you have listed by Sun Pro. I also have the DP but I need to finish my muffler and CAT delete. The chip is my next step. Yes I do have an auto trans. It shifts firm and seems to be in good condition. So by the sounds of it I need a new torque converter and valve body? thanks.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can spare the change to do a torque converter, it never hurts to put a better one in there. I would suggest a converter from PI(precision industries) which is who BTS uses for their converters. If thats a bit pricey for you, check out RacerX for their TCs and transmission parts. RacerX can hook you up with whatever parts you need to make your trans hold up to your 7.3. A valve body from John Wood(I think Dieselsite might sell these), BTS or RacerX.. All those places also have full built transmissions for if yours ever does go out.

And don't forget to upgrade your transmission cooler.