Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Going to the darkside and getting rid of her

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in time yea put for the type of money he could buy one that some one all ready did that two let make a ball park quess of cost 1 to 2k them another 3 grand for the p pump Fuel Pumps (P-pump). them injectors Injectors

them a grand for the inter coller BD-Power "Cool It" Intercooler Dodge Ram Cummins 94-02 - eBay (item 300449059295 end time Mar-20-11 10:51:40 PDT)

mac in ant cheap to hop u a 5.9

where talk upward of 5k and thats just in parts

Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not to butt into a argument here but I wouldn't put a ZF5 behind a cummins. I wouldn't call it a POS (especially since I have no experience w/ them) but its not going behind my 12V (if I had one). Maybe a BTS or allison from what I've read.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:29 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the heck are you trying to do? Unless you install traction bars or have a way to keep traction...you'll need 4x4 for any fast launches.

My bone stock 6.9/T19/2wd will not hook up even on dry pavement.

Let the clutch out, stand on the loud pedal and those rear tires let loose in 1st.
Shift into 2nd, hit the loud pedal, the tires will let loose for a little while and then finall grab and go like mad.
Shift into third, finally all traction.

If the road is moist, the tires don't stand a chance in 1st or 2nd, and sometimes 3rd will break loose...depending on just how wet the road is.

What are you trying to do that a turbo won't help with?

I don't see you winning any races in a 2wd rig mostly because of a lack of traction. That's my issue running N/A, I couldn't imagine a built turbo motor. I think you'll NEED the 4x4 for hard launches if you opted not to use traction bars.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you put a turbo on your truck you would have more than enough power. I can't take off from a stop light right now without breaking my tires loose. I have to ease on the throttle or I'll just spin them. You will have plenty of power with your IDI if you just put a turbo on it and boost around 12-13psi with the pump 2 flats up.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by snaponprofile
If you put a turbo on your truck you would have more than enough power. I can't take off from a stop light right now without breaking my tires loose. I have to ease on the throttle or I'll just spin them. You will have plenty of power with your IDI if you just put a turbo on it and boost around 12-13psi with the pump 2 flats up.
Yeah! That's what I'm sayin'!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
The Dodge autos are WAY,WAY, WAY,WAY BETTER than they get credit for. They are ABSOLUTELY better than an E4OD.
Look through Diesel Power and you'll see MANY MORE Dodge autos built up than anything else, even the Allison 1000. There's even been guys that swappped Dodge autos into trucks IN PLACE OF Ford autos and Allison 1000s too.
They are better than E4ODs stock and MUCH better when both are built-to-the-hilt. The Allison is best stock and the newer Ford 110s are pretty good but if you ask any of the BIG NAME trans builders they'll tell you to go with a 47 or 48 seried Dodge, especially for racing.

Personally I'm putting Allison 545s behind both of my Dodge-Cunmmins CrewCab projects.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
i think that he has the stock turbo on his truck... also its all in your tranny i know a zf5 for one guy could last 100s of thousands of miles but for another maybe only a 100k who knows

My father-in-law has gone through 4 auto trannys on his 94 cummins and 2 auto trannys on his 02 cummins so in all honesty you could get a tranny that will work great for you or be a grenade ready to go at any time whether it is a ford dodge or gm

Old 03-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Coalroller
i think that he has the stock turbo on his truck... also its all in your tranny i know a zf5 for one guy could last 100s of thousands of miles but for another maybe only a 100k who knows

My father-in-law has gone through 4 auto trannys on his 94 cummins and 2 auto trannys on his 02 cummins so in all honesty you could get a tranny that will work great for you or be a grenade ready to go at any time whether it is a ford dodge or gm
There seems to be a HUGE disparity in the life of transmissions for different people.
I have had pretty good durabilty from most of my trannys no matter what brand.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:51 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well shoot if ya want a tranny that your not going to have to worry about blowing up then stick a T19/18 behind it. Cant beat cast iron....

Old 03-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by johnboggs21
well shoot if ya want a tranny that your not going to have to worry about blowing up then stick a T19/18 behind it. Cant beat cast iron....
I don't know how you'd adapt it and you'd have no O.D.
For that matter put in an NP 435 but I like the way the T-19 shifts better.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dodge/Cummins
There seems to be a HUGE disparity in the life of transmissions for different people.
I have had pretty good durabilty from most of my trannys no matter what brand.
thats what im gettin at...

you take one truck ex. the dodge auto tranny for one person and it might last 100s and 100s of thousands of miles but say another person bought a similar truck with the same tranny and it might go after only 100k for reasons unknown... IMHO its in the luck of the draw

i have 180k on my e40d and ive never had a problem and love it! But there are others on here and out there that say its junk... I guess i was lucky

Old 03-06-2011, 10:01 AM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
380k on my E4OD. It does complain a bit first shift through all the gears, and resist me, but after 5 minutes of driving she's good.
Although when loaded up with about 3500+ lbs, she turns into a bit of a moody pain, and I have to be more aggressive to get her to stay in what gear I want.
She is due for a rebuild, and possibly some bulkin up.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Country_boy_2007
Posting Guru
if you have a cummins...put a NV4500 behind it and be done with it, i love cummins motors...i just cant bring myself to drive a dodge. and honestly a stock 12v dosent make much more power than a 7.3 turbo. however with the cummins you have the potential to make big, reliable power from it and no one can argue that the cummins isnt a good motor. as for dodge autos, i think there junk, seems like you either got a good one, or a junk one.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Dodge/Cummins
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Country_boy_2007
if you have a cummins...put a NV4500 behind it and be done with it, i love cummins motors...i just cant bring myself to drive a dodge. and honestly a stock 12v dosent make much more power than a 7.3 turbo. however with the cummins you have the potential to make big, reliable power from it and no one can argue that the cummins isnt a good motor. as for dodge autos, i think there junk, seems like you either got a good one, or a junk one.
I'm not so sure "you get a good one or a bad one"
I think some people are harder on equipment and some people take better care of their stuff as well as service and maintain it better.

You can think Dodge autos are junk but they aren't. By your reasoning every transmission is junk because some break early and some last forever.
I've had a few of every brand of automatic. I don't change the fluid often enough, I don't torture the crap out of them and I rarely USED to have temp. gauges in them.
If I wanted to go up a hill I'd hold the pedel to the floor (loaded or not) and transmission and it's temperature be damned.
The ONLY one I've had trouble with is the E4OD in my service truck. BUT....it was that way when I got it, the previous owners didn't take great care of the truck in general, it has 300K on it and it could be the ORIGIONAL trans for all I know. I could complain because it doesn't work right but more than likely it has been tortured, abused and neglected it's whole life.
It could alos be a crummy rebuild??????
I don't know but the E4OD I had in my '97 PowerStroke worked just fine. The previous owners took pretyy good MECHANICAL care of it and I never worked it hard. The company I sold it too uses their trucks pretty hard in the woods, logging and they had to have the trans. rebuilt pretty soon after they bought it from me.
They probably thrashed the crap out of it.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:42 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dodge/Cummins
I don't know how you'd adapt it and you'd have no O.D.
For that matter put in an NP 435 but I like the way the T-19 shifts better.
I know Dodge used the NP435 in their trucks at one time, but the Ford vesions of the NP435/T18/T19 all share the same bolt pattern.
Yes, a cast iron 4 speed would be hard to beat.
But, yes, it would be hard to adapt it behind the cummins engine.
It would be a matter of finding either a Ford bellhousing from a 460/429 or 351/302 and see if it could be bolted to an "adapter" plate on the back of the cummins engine. The same fashion the T19 bellhousing is attached to the IDI engines.
Then you just have to hope the length from the crankshaft bushing to the bellhousing face is the same, that way the transmission input shaft can still ride in the bushing and maintain "straightness".

I'd rather go thru an IDI and stuff the IDI into a SWEET body style of truck. Sorry, the 80-97 doesn't do much for me. The 80-86 is my favorite, with the 87-91 coming in second place, and the 92-97 is too new for me. Now the 61-66 body style...now you're talking!!

Even with the topic of this thread, I don't see what a built IDI engine couldn't do to impress the operator. Maybe try finding an upgraded exhaust housing for the stock turbo? Wreck sure seems happy with his setup, Snapon sure seems happy with his Banks, that stock turbo housing is holding you back dude! Find an upgrade housing or maybe trade your entire setup and cash for someone with a banks setup or ATS setup with the upgrade housing?

When the heck are you gonna use some 600 horsepower from a Cummins? The rest of the drivetrain is going to break unless you drive around empty all the time. Yep, that truck might go fast empty...but it won't do SQUAT when the driveshaft is laying on the ground. That 600 horsepower isn't going anywhere fast with the driveshaft busted.

Quick Reply: Going to the darkside and getting rid of her