Notices
General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last Year for no computers

Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 PM
American Thunder
Elder User
American Thunder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
That's about what I paid for everything. Simplicity...depends on who you talk to. To me these things are easier to handle all the way around, but I am weird that way.

I grew up with the old stuff, so I'm stuck in my ways.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by American Thunder View Post
I grew up with the old stuff, so I'm stuck in my ways.

Yep, I've been known to be that way too. There are inherent problems with that though.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
the old IDI diesels without all the sensors and computer sure is easy to work on.
however without a computer,it fails as well.this means it must be properly tuned up via hand tools and checked every so often.
how many people properly tune up and keep the pre-computer diesel engine running properly? i dare say less than 10% of the current owners.
back to a more simple time,meant less things to go wrong.parts cheaper to fix,and pretty easy to diagnose.no computer required to tell you which sensor wasn't working,because there are just a few,for example a tach sensor;well if the tach stops working,where do you start? pretty basic.other diagnostics are just carried out via the old school method.if it's stalling out,you start by making sure it's getting fuel.you start with the basics and go deeper into the problem as required via the prossess of elimination method,etc.etc.etc.very easy.
things have gotten a little carried away.mainly with so much emissions BS though.however i have owned,and currently do own a computer controlled engine.
they are not to be so feared,like they are by most who haven't had one yet.
overall,i do agree the computer controlled engines are more reliable,fuel efficient and overall just better.
do i enjoy however going back in time to a more simplistic engine, pre-on board computer........oh yes.every day as i read through various sections of the diesel engines here,and see the troubles and expense many have gone through.
my next truck will be a computer controlled again most likely,but i'm enjoying this one for as long as she takes me reliably down the road for now,with a very large smile on my face.

last year of the diesel without computer;
first half of 1994.

last year of the American built diesel engine (perhaps more sad)

" The Times They Are a-Changin' "

Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 PM
normrp
New User
normrp is starting off with a positive reputation.
FORDF250HDXLT,

thank you for your reply. i will have to agree with what you have said. and i remembered what my wife's grandfather used to say "if you don't keep up with progress you will get left behind".

so i guess i need to step up and get some diagnostic tools to deal with my 1999 PSD. and i do really like my truck. and it is time i started doing some mods to it.

so here we go.

and thanks again to all who have responded here. i really appreciate all you have said.

norm

Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Kendrick
Senior User
Kendrick is starting off with a positive reputation.
there are 2 sides to the issue. 1 old = relitivly straight forward in diagnosis. if the engine doesnt turn over theres only a couple things to check.

2 new = efficent when it works. sensors crap out on you and give false readings to the computer and no one can figure out your lemon...

granted drastic sumerization but close enough... 250$ tps sensor is enough to **** me off... the explorer wont go cause it doent know if its going to tip over due to low tire pressue...

im middle road on this matter im not afraid of electronics but i also dont want standard electronic every thing. i have a 94 f350 idi would love some of the fuel savings possible with electronics but have plenty o mud in the field and dont want things crapping out when i have a sick tractor on the trailer in the middle of a boggy field...

Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
there are 2 sides to the issue. 1 old = relitivly straight forward in diagnosis. if the engine doesnt turn over theres only a couple things to check.

2 new = efficent when it works. sensors crap out on you and give false readings to the computer and no one can figure out your lemon...
Electronics aren't that hard to diagnose with the exception of a short and there are only a handful of usual suspects(at least with the 6.0) unless you get a fluke spot, which is highly unlikely, but possible. Software to run off tablet PCs or even netbooks can be had for relatively very little money to make it easier in that task.

granted drastic sumerization but close enough...
How can something be both drastic and close enough?

250$ tps sensor is enough to **** me off... the explorer wont go cause it doent know if its going to tip over due to low tire pressue...
That must be something with the explorers then because my parents have had TPS sensors on their last few cars and have had some diagnostic needs for them(for which I was able to do with the aforementioned software), but none of them caused a "no go" situation.

i have a 94 f350 idi would love some of the fuel savings possible with electronics but have plenty o mud in the field and dont want things crapping out when i have a sick tractor on the trailer in the middle of a boggy field...
Over sensitivity with that. My DRW has seen untold boggy fields hauling trees, horses, tractors and at the end of this coming summer it will be 6 yrs old, over 200k and all my sensors are still original. Which is in all honesty amazing to me.

I'm not trying to say that things like this won't happen with electronics and that because you have electronics those are issues versus vehicles that don't have electronics or at least those specific types of electronics, but I still say that people are over sensitive to it.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I dont see any problem with computers. Now all this new emissions crap is a whole other story

Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 PM
cgunning17
Freshman User
cgunning17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
To clarify, it was the '94 IDI that was the last diesel without a computer.

As far as gassers go...I believe the '87 460 was the last carbed gasser, I don't know what the last year for carbs on the 302 and 351 were, probably '86.
My 85 f150 has a feedback carb so it still has a computer. The last true carbed gasser was 81/82 I think.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:14 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
87 351 and 460 had carburetors.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:51 PM
Olds64
Elder User
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Were the carburetors used by in the 80s electronically controlled? I know GM used the Quadrajet all the way until 1990 with a TPS and a mixture control solenoid.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:00 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
carb? no. they had electronic ignition, but the carb was as basic as it could get.

unless you had one of the abortion carbs like the variable venturi used in the early 80's. those were a big mistake that were way before their time when computer control was no where what it is today.
when a V V carb worked, they worked great. unfortunately, they very rarely worked rite.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:48 AM
Olds64
Elder User
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
unless you had one of the abortion carbs like the variable venturi used in the early 80's. those were a big mistake that were way before their time when computer control was no where what it is today.when a V V carb worked, they worked great. unfortunately, they very rarely worked rite.
The 1st car my father bought new was a 1977 Ford Granada with a VV carburetor. He's mentioned it was the biggest POS he ever owned (and he had a 1991 Hyundai Excel when I was in high school). He did say it was pretty and luxurious though.

Luckily, Dad has had more luck recently. He bought a 2015 f150 sclb 2wd with the small v8 that treated him right, and now he has a 2017 f250 cclb 2wd. Too bad it isn't a diesel but it does have the big v8.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:47 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
I got an early 1994 idi turbo f250, and I like it.
I've had a 2002 powerstroke, 2008 powerstroke, and a 2015 ecoboost f150.

for me the 94 idi is kind of a half way diesel, not as much mileage or performance as a newer machine, but a much lower cost. I was originally going to buy an old gas truck just to use once in a while, but this came up for the same price as a has truck so figured why not. Definitely better mileage than an old gas v8, and not that expensive for parts.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:22 PM
carbonation
Junior User
carbonation is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by dchamberlain View Post
Is a broken cam positioning sensor any worse than a cracked distributor cap, or a bad set of points, or a failed high pressure pump on a diesel?

Computerized engines have given us far more reliable, easier to diagnose, higher horsepower engines with lower emissions. I fail to see how that is a bad thing.
I agree. Computerized is way easier to troubleshoot, AFR is closer to accurate, the computer can shutdown the engine if no oil pressure, saving thousands. Lots of advantages to having a digital nanny watching the show. And if you know how to talk to it, you can change the whole personality of the truck, and have it do more of what you need. Tow tune, economy tune, EGR delete, trans shift points, line pressure, lots of options.