YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Reload this Page >

YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market?

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market?

Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 PM
ColoradoF350
Freshman User
ColoradoF350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Arrow YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market?

First, let me state I'm a long time Ford owner and stockholder....well over 30+ years buying / driving F-Series trucks. So please don't send me "nasty grams" about not being loyal to Ford. I started this thread because I'm genuinely interested in the opinions of others here. This forum has been a great resource over the years and I'm hoping that this doesn't start a holy war or anything :-)

That said, I have a long time friend that went from selling Ford trucks to Dodge trucks in 2013. He's been nagging me for a year to come test drive their new 2500 series and I reluctantly went last weekend to get him off my back. The last time I looked at a Dodge was well over 10 years ago and it was a piece of crap.... However, I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with the 2014 Dodge 2500. The comfort, ride, style and ergonomics have come a long way in the last 10 years. It's seems like a lot of the things I have been wishing for in a Ford, Dodge has implemented (LED lighting, cargo bay camera, dual glove boxes, factory air suspension, just to name a few things). Now my buddy is sending me daily reports on Ford SuperDuty trucks that have over heating brakes, inaccurate computers reporting overstated fuel economy, SYNC issues, etc. etc. I'm not that stupid to believe everything he is sending me but, for the first time in 30 years, I'm questioning if Ford is on the right path? Making their own engines, potential aluminum design changes, suspension issues on the FX4 have all got me thinking..... I'm going to need to purchase another HD truck in the next 12 months.....should it be a Ford?

Would be curious to here what all of you think about Ford's direction, quality and if they are keeping up with the competition? I've looked at the 2015 SuperDuty threads and yes there are some minor improvements but nothing that has me thinking Ford is "leading the way" here. Yes they have market dominance, but have they got comfortable and allowed the competition to close the gap? Thoughts?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 PM
FordmanNJ
Posting Guru
FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.FordmanNJ has a great reputation on FTE.
I don't know but it sounds like your friend is drinking the new kool aid at the water cooler. He switched brands when it comes to sales. He is probably trying to get a sale from you knowing are looking at trucks. His boss is probably putting pressure on him to move a truck and he thinks you are ready to purchase.

I know someone who has a new Dodge and was a former Ford owner. It has been a problem child for him since day one. The only reason why he is going to keep it is the fact Dodge will extend the warranty of 100,000 miles to commercial customers. He hates the truck so much he will run it into the ground and when the 100k is up, the truck will be sold off for either a Ford or Chevy. He said who ever has the better truck at the time will get the money.

Not saying every truck is bad but I always say go with what you know. I tend to be brand loyal to Ford. Outside of the one GM i have owned, all my Fords have been trucks or SUVs. They have been pretty good to me. So I will keep buying them.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 PM
351Cleveland C4
Post Fiend
351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a great reputation on FTE.
As much as it pains me to say this, I'd buy a new ram over a super duty.

The ram boys hit a homer with the truck. My uncle has a 12 3500 Dually Laramie with the HO cummins. I've rode in it a lot and it is a VERY nice truck. Rides nice, drives smooth, hauls *** no matter what it's hitched up to, and looks are killer!. He tuned it and removed all the DPF equipment, it's got SERIOUS POWER!!! It will out run almost everything else on the road.

I haven't been in but one new super duty, my buddies 11 f250. It's all stock, but We took it out on the highway and did a few wide open throttle runs. Maybe it's cuz it was so quiet, but to me, it didn't seem to pull near as hard as our mild 7.3 does.

The ram no doubt out tows the SD. But with the 15 getting more power and a new turbo, I think it will even out the field a bit. Hopefully the torq-shift will continue to hold up to the power. That's another thing, they shouldn't be scared of a bang shift kinda pattern. (Obviously not extreme) but I prefer a shift that I can feel. Let's me know that it made it to the next gear without slipping too much.

If ford really wants to gain the top spot for stopping, they should engineer a true engine brake into the power stroke. Or else a really strong exhaust brake like the aftermarket has already.

Personally, I don't like the look of the SD. (Dually models anyway) the rear fender flares look like they were a cheap after thought and need to be changed IMO. single wheels look more proportional with a CCLB. Ford needs to get aggressive with the design of the next truck. Completely revise the front end with a big tall grill, and maybe shorter fenders. The headlights should go back to looking something like the pre 08 models did. Not so square and tall like they are.

And would it hurt to give it a new cab??? Sure it's nice, but it's been the same shape since '99! It's getting kinda old to look at.

Ok, that's my rant.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 AM
Chad149
Deplorable
Chad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputationChad149 has a superb reputation
Not really. I think Dodge has made some inroads in the chassis cabs due to fleet maintenance costs incurred with the 6.0 & 6.4 that scared some companies away from Ford. Their top trim interiors are a bit nicer with the latest redesign, but I'm sure Ford will counter with the next go around.
Guy I know did buy a '14 dodge Cummins, and he did have some complaints, most funny was after he got done complaining about how long it took to get heat in the morning turns to me and asks if mine took a half hour too, I said no, about five minutes with Ford's rapid heat system.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:35 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.CuNmUdF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
with out even realizing it I`ve become a "Ford guy".... but that's what Dodge does they raise the bar Ford will keep up, but to me Dodge/Mopar is/has always been revolutionary blend of tech and attitude......man I love the new Challengers if I wasn't a truck guy that's what I`d be rolling in

Old 03-08-2014, 02:25 AM
jswartz84
Postmaster
jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.jswartz84 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have a couple friends with Rams who complain about the interiors. They do have a little more luxury then the Fords but after some time and miles they have mysterious creaks and noises that sound like they are falling apart. Both have said that the only good part of the truck is the motor, the rest is junk.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 AM
05F250DSL
Posting Guru
05F250DSL is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not sure i'd say falling behind in the market but they have refused to add simple features that the other guys have. I have drove and rode in both a '12 and 13' Dodge both higher rim levels and I will say the interior is dang nice. The hihdden storage under the rear floor mats is nice on the dodge. The layout and feel is not as utlitarian as the ford. It feels more luxury. If I were updating the 05' i'd have to look hard at a 12' Dodge (they didn't use the exhaust fluid yet). That and I refse to bu new I'll let someone else take thhe big hit.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:46 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
the Rams have come along way..but they have done so with copying some of fords ideas and a few of their own.

I would not get one with the coils in the rear though. Payload suffers.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Hotrod70d is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford raised the bar on dodge for 2015 mor hp tq and a higher tow rating . Id say no there not falling off i think for them to keep the quality way above and beyond dodge and chevy they do it slower and get it right. Honestly whats the difference if you have 840ft lb of tq and my ford has 800 but yours is broke every week . Ill take the one that has better quality and a little less power. One last thing lets not forget that ford is the only one not owned by our wonderful goverment

Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Go Big or Go Home! is starting off with a positive reputation.
The problem with gauging competition (Ram/Chevy) is that the FORD truck owner is loyal to FORD and doesn't care what problem child they produce. What it takes is a FORD owner is to try another brand, they could be pleasantly surprised of the quality/reliability/capability of another brand, but with what trucks cost today , who wants to take a leap of faith..American Truck makers are the worst in Initial Quality Survey's.. so that tells me that Chevy and Ram have there issues to..Before I would buy the competition, I would have to see JD Power,Consumer Reports, and Edmunds, KBB and the like say the RAM has the highest customer satisfaction scores for at least 2-3 years,, to tell me there focused on building a reliable truck..To me just because a Truck maker adds the bells/whistles doesn't mean there going to work flawlessly w/o issue for the life of truck,, just look at the MFT, and Ford options..I went to my drop taxes off yesterday and while waiting there was a 2014 Consumer Reports Best of Book,, picked it up and went right to small SUV's to see who they had ranked as the best..Didn't surprise me any that the 2014 Subaru Forester was rated far/away best SUV. Having bought my wife one last year,,This SUV is quality from top/bottom,,everything works and not one hiccup..Never been to dealer for repairs,,heck they never even pitched an extended warranty during the sale...They know there product is quality/reliable. But FORD, heck if you don't buy the extended warranty your gonna pay the price,,so what does that say about our trucks!!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 AM
diggintrenches
Senior User
diggintrenches is starting off with a positive reputation.
At my work, we have a fleet of Fords with engines from the 7.3 up to the new 6.7 decked out in Lariat trim inside and out. We have one Dodge, it is however a 2010 model, but has been a major problem child. The trans has been out more than once, the transfer case has been gone through once, the rear end has had to have seals put in it once as well. The Cummins is deffinatly a tuff one, but it seems that everything wrapped around it is junk. It is a Laramie CC with the Mega Cab. The interior started of nice and luxurious with all the leather and fancy bells and whistles, but soon showed the lack of quality in almost every aspect. The A/C hasn't worked in over two years, and it has been to 4 different dealers ships and had just about every part on it replaced and still don't work. Although it did for a month or so, it would stop working once again. Fancy gadgets are nice, but certainly not what I base my truck purchase on. I o own a 06 King Ranch that has all the bells and whistles, but for the price I got it for, it just kind of made since for me to buy it. I was actually on the market for a lesser equipped truck. Now, comparing new trucks, or Fords with the 6.7's have proven themselves over and over again to be a strong proven work truck that keeps us going. On another note, I would not buy a truck from a company that not keep their head above water without the help of taxpayer dollars. Ford did not go on welfare like the other two major auto makers. That should say a ton

Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 AM
fordman19762003
Posting Guru
fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.fordman19762003 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think the reason why the SD line has stayed the way it has is because Ford doesn't have any problems selling them as is. Most of the things the OP mentioned that Ford doesn't offer are things that the industrial users of the SD don't need/care to have(maybe with the exception of the air ride) and these people are the biggest users of the SD. The rest of us are conditioned by the automakers to think we need all these fancy extras and when one company doesn't offer them then we say they are falling behind. I personally hope Ford leaves the SD alone because IMHO it's darn near perfect for what it's designed for. Fix the corrosion problems and leave the rest of the truck alone.

I will admit the Cummins motor is one of the better diesels out there, but the new Power Stroke is a heck of a motor and I wouldn't think twice about owning one if I had the need. The air ride suspension is nice, but if the companies would quit catering to the people who buy a HD truck without any need for them, then complain about the rough ride, we wouldn't have any need for airbag suspensions because the heavier leaf springs the trucks should come with would do the job.

More than likely Ford will see how these new items work for Ram and then work them into the SD over time.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Go Big or Go Home! is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by diggintrenches View Post
At my work, we have a fleet of Fords with engines from the 7.3 up to the new 6.7 decked out in Lariat trim inside and out. We have one Dodge, it is however a 2010 model, but has been a major problem child. The trans has been out more than once, the transfer case has been gone through once, the rear end has had to have seals put in it once as well. The Cummins is deffinatly a tuff one, but it seems that everything wrapped around it is junk. It is a Laramie CC with the Mega Cab. The interior started of nice and luxurious with all the leather and fancy bells and whistles, but soon showed the lack of quality in almost every aspect. The A/C hasn't worked in over two years, and it has been to 4 different dealers ships and had just about every part on it replaced and still don't work. Although it did for a month or so, it would stop working once again. Fancy gadgets are nice, but certainly not what I base my truck purchase on. I o own a 06 King Ranch that has all the bells and whistles, but for the price I got it for, it just kind of made since for me to buy it. I was actually on the market for a lesser equipped truck. Now, comparing new trucks, or Fords with the 6.7's have proven themselves over and over again to be a strong proven work truck that keeps us going. On another note, I would not buy a truck from a company that not keep their head above water without the help of taxpayer dollars. Ford did not go on welfare like the other two major auto makers. That should say a ton

Cmon man,, this whole FORD didn't take a bailout is crap..They sure did take a bailout.. They borrowed 5.9 billion from the Federal Govt back in 2009 before the other automakers declared bankruptcy..And Ford still owes some of that money back to taxpayers..This is the biggest scam or gimmick Ford marketed to act like they are a strong American company..They got in before the Detroit collapse,,they didn't take as much as others but they just didn't wait to declare bankruptcy and call it a bailout but its a bailout none the same..they had to go to the Fed Govt to get the 5.9 billion..

Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 AM
MisterCMK
Avid Winter Hater
MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ColoradoF350 View Post
First, let me state I'm a long time Ford owner and stockholder....well over 30+ years buying / driving F-Series trucks. So please don't send me "nasty grams" about not being loyal to Ford. I started this thread because I'm genuinely interested in the opinions of others here. This forum has been a great resource over the years and I'm hoping that this doesn't start a holy war or anything :-)

That said, I have a long time friend that went from selling Ford trucks to Dodge trucks in 2013. He's been nagging me for a year to come test drive their new 2500 series and I reluctantly went last weekend to get him off my back. The last time I looked at a Dodge was well over 10 years ago and it was a piece of crap.... However, I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with the 2014 Dodge 2500. The comfort, ride, style and ergonomics have come a long way in the last 10 years. It's seems like a lot of the things I have been wishing for in a Ford, Dodge has implemented (LED lighting, cargo bay camera, dual glove boxes, factory air suspension, just to name a few things). Now my buddy is sending me daily reports on Ford SuperDuty trucks that have over heating brakes, inaccurate computers reporting overstated fuel economy, SYNC issues, etc. etc. I'm not that stupid to believe everything he is sending me but, for the first time in 30 years, I'm questioning if Ford is on the right path? Making their own engines, potential aluminum design changes, suspension issues on the FX4 have all got me thinking..... I'm going to need to purchase another HD truck in the next 12 months.....should it be a Ford?

Would be curious to here what all of you think about Ford's direction, quality and if they are keeping up with the competition? I've looked at the 2015 SuperDuty threads and yes there are some minor improvements but nothing that has me thinking Ford is "leading the way" here. Yes they have market dominance, but have they got comfortable and allowed the competition to close the gap? Thoughts?

You are believing everything your Dodge salesman friend is sending you about Ford trucks (which he doesn't sell)? If so, you are a fool.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Hotrod70d is starting off with a positive reputation.
i dont think its fair to compair fleet vehicles to personal vehicles , we have a f 550 dump ,chevy pick ups, mack trucks, ford pick ups ,and a lot of cars . when you get more than 1 or 2 drivers i believe nothing lasts, plus people dont take care of fleet vehicles like there own , they all get used and abused. on a side note of the 1000s of vehicles owned not one is a dodge , car , truck , van etc...
the last truck i owned that was nt a ford was a 95 chevy bought new , did love the truck , only problem it had was a water pump ( under warranty) . not bad for 6.5 yrs of ownership . my 01 f 350 i only ever replaced wearout parts, both were good trucks , chevys are very plane in my eyes right now and im stickin with ford till i ware out my 2012 . pick what you like and dont look back , i have other reasons to pick ford also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: YOUR OPINION: Is Ford Falling Behind in the HD Truck Market?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.