6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Different Performance/Sound During Regen

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 AM
derek witt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different Performance/Sound During Regen

Hi all, had my 11' dually for about 2 months and have noticed some stuff on my truck about regens.

First off, they still suck. I hated them on my 09 and I still hate them. I had hoped they were much shorter/less frequent etc. - thats the sales pitch anyway.

I get them about once a tank or so, but the problem is its hard to finish them. Its pretty cold up here and most trips are in the 15 - 20 min range. By the time the truck is up to full operating temp so the regen starts, you are at your destination and shut down, only to have the regen start again on your next run. It sometimes truely takes two days to finish a regen which is a joke. And there is seldom a regen message (or I miss it cause the notice is so brief) so its hard to drive to finish it.

Lastly, I also notice that the truck had a much louder, more injector clatter sound to it when regening. Along with weaker pedal response and overall sluggish feeling.

It took me quite a while to put it all together that this was all regen related. In fact, I took it back to the dealer to address the different running conditions and they could not find anything - then I put the regen thing together after that.

Anyway, sort of venting and hoping that the regen taking so long crap gets better and spring gets here and shortens my warmup time. Anyone else seeing the same? Cheers.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your results may be typical for the type of driving you do. They are not typical of what most new 6.7 owners are reporting. Most of us have not seen a performance hit or a significant drop in MPG's. I can honestly say if I miss the brief message flash, I do not know the truck is regenerating. I certainly have missed far more "cleaning exhaust filter" messages than I have seen.

I do use my truck as a daily driver but usually there is at least one trip a week that is long enough to get the truck fully warmed up. I have never seen the "drive to complete" message in the 22000 miles.

Regards

Old 02-28-2011, 12:30 PM
amrich3
New User
I have also noticed the same response as Derek. Louder clacking jumpy pedal and nasty smell outside of vehichle. Most of the time I can notice a drop in fuel mileage if I am driving level. The surge in acceleration sounded to a different post. Like Rickatic I have not seen a drive to complete message.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM
RickSo
Junior User
derek,
That is very common on mine. I think our fair weather friends don't see the -25 temps we have seen this winter. My truck is in the shop again this morning with 4x4 problems/front end making grinding noises when turning corners/ check engine light has been on most of the winter (cold weather issue waiting for new Ford reprogram) and last front and rear bumper rust issues. Here is a picture of my view this morning. This sent to my Ford service dept.

There is currently no ETA for the update regarding the P164A and P2A00 DTCs. Please continue to monitor OASIS for updates regarding this concern.

Rick

Old 02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
FourOneTons
Senior User
Originally Posted by RickSo
...I think our fair weather friends don't see the -25 temps we have seen this winter...
"Fair weather friends" has something of a negative connotation down here in Baja Canada. Meaning we won't stand by you except in good times. I'm sure you didn't intend that, meaning instead that we're just more balmy down here (another phrase with a double-meaning).

Anyway, I'm guessing your cold weather is what is causing more noticeable issues during the re-gen. I've only noticed minor differences during re-gen--a loss of at most, 1 MPG (and usually not even that much), and just the slightest hitch or hesitation in throttle response (and only if I'm paying close attention at the time).

Maybe too, your cold weather has introduced some gremlins into the computer controls or parameters. Here's hoping it will clear up when (or if) spring arrives.

Joe

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
RickSo
Junior User
Well, that was intended as a joke.....thats why I put in the -25 degree temp...no offense implied. Since I have had the CEL on for most of the winter the Regen is on quite a bit and I am getting terrible mileage also at times strong fumes as well. I was told by my dealer this morning she has 9 trucks with this issue. It is a cold weather issue.

Rick

Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
FourOneTons
Senior User
None taken. You know, two peoples separated by a common language. Hence my attempt at humor too.

I meant to add a comment about the smell. I've noticed that a couple of times myself, and with temps in the 30 to 40F range. At first I wasn't sure if it was the re-gen, but I'm pretty sure now it is. Not really nasty, just kind of an off odor.

Joe

Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 AM
OSUCowboy
New User
Here's my regen scenarior (and I've been watching it closely as this is my first diesel that does regens). I have an F450 (4.30 rear end). Daily driving habits are early morning (it's been in the 30's to 40's) for about 30 miles, then home in the afternoon (50's). Other trips may be 10 miles to and 10 miles back to feed animals. Live in the California Delta so I'm pretty much at sealevel. Mostly flat ground - but pretty windy roads. Typical MPG is between 15 and 16.

SO - I go into regen ("cleaning exhaust filter"). Since 2885 miles on the truck, it has gone into regen on average of about every 200 miles. However, many of these don't complete as it never fails to start about 5 miles from home. Additionally, on the ones that do complete, I have yet to have one go for more than 10 miles. My instant MPG indicator drops from 15ish to pretty much right at the 10 MPG line.

As a side note - I can tell when it's about to start the regen as it will drop slightly in instant MPG by maybe 1 to 2 MPG. After the regen officially starts (per the message), it drops to 10.

I haven't taken mine into the dealer to ask "WTF" yet as the "avereage" seems to be in line with the manual. At least I recall reading inthe manual that regens will occur on average every 400 to 600 miles and will last appoximately 20 miles. So, I figure every 200 miles and lasting 10 minutes is tha average. Figure maybe the truck has learned my driving frequency and adjusted accordingly.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
derek witt
Senior User
Thanks guys, good to know I'm not alone. Seems very counter productive to have to burn more diesel and drive further to complete a regen. (especially with guesswork messaging being so vague as to what/when its all happening)

Many trips and sometimes even days to regen is also silly. I know the cold enviroment is contributing, but much of North America has a winter/colder climate.

I'm not an engineer,(although I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!) - but how about a switch for a forced regen when WE know we can finish it. That coupled with some sort dpf gauge to show either time since last regen, or fullness of dpf or something of that nature.

Anyway, I removed the dpf system on my 09, hoping it wasn't required on these. Now I'm not so sure. Cheers.