Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control

Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM
dave47111
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control

got a 95 4x4 auto and all of a sudden the cruise contol has stopped working. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to start running down the problem? Checked the fuse and all is ok there. gettiing ready for a road trip and would really like to have it working. Thanks in advanve for the help.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:41 AM
ChristopherN
Elder User
Has the recall been done?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:02 AM
dave47111
Senior User
Originally Posted by ChristopherN
Has the recall been done?
Recall? Din't know there was one for the cruise. All I knew about was the one for the Master cylinders that caught fire....which Was done after it caught fire and now have a nice circle of missing paint on the hood

I Checked and that is the recall I was talking about.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the vacuum lines on your engine. Especially those hard plastic red/white/black? ones that go to the heater/AC controller on the firewall. Sometimes the "plug" will pull loose or the lines will crack and create a vacuum leak which can cause the crusie control to stop working, or other problems depending on which line.

Also check the linkages of the cruise control to be sure the cables etc are connecting to the throttle.

BY any chance is your speedo acting up? If the needle jumps around, it is possible the speed sensor is failing and confusing the engine computer and cruise control.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Vacuum has nothing to do with the Fords SPEED CONTROL system on a 1995 Truck.

Does the speedometer work OK.
Is the RABS light on the dash on?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
IMPRTKLLRZ28
Junior User
Just fixed my cruise control today...My cruise just suddenly stopped working....Lived with it for 2 months. Just did my oil change and found the cruise control brake switch was leaking its on top of brake reservoir. Replaced the switch and now I have cruise control again.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most likely its the Cruise servo module. They can get rusty and stop working. Very common problem.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 86F150302
Most likely its the Cruise servo module. They can get rusty and stop working. Very common problem.
Is this something a GM truck has?
I have hear GM trucks had a cruise control but never been in a GM truck to see one.

I have four Ford trucks that have a device on them to keep the speed the same as you drive down the road and it is called Speed Control.

Here is a image of my SPEED CONTROL Module:

/

Old 02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,155 Likes on 913 Posts
You need Speed Control when you travel through Kansas. Bill is such a stickler for proper terminology!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The vacuum doesn't directly control the cruise but various lines will affect what the computer sees which then as I said can cause different things to happen.

Whenever I work on my 94 F250 460, passenger side of engine, I often dislodge the vacuum lines and wierd problems pop up including, no cruise, weird shifting, check engine light etc. Just plug the lines back in and the "problem" is fixed. Since the problem is often fixed by plugging the lines back in I have to assume the vacuum was the problem. Otherwise it must be my waving of hands over the engine doing it. It would be interesting to unplug each line and see what it does, or just check a vacuum "wiring" diagram.

Sometimes it isn't obvious that the line is disconnected since the plug "Looks" like it is in place. I especially seem to disturb that plug with three lines into it on top of the AC box.

Besides the fix and inspection is free so doesn't hurt to check.

Jim Henderson

Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jim henderson
The vacuum doesn't directly control the cruise but various lines will affect what the computer sees which then as I said can cause different things to happen.

Whenever I work on my 94 F250 460, passenger side of engine, I often dislodge the vacuum lines and wierd problems pop up including, no cruise, weird shifting, check engine light etc. Just plug the lines back in and the "problem" is fixed. Since the problem is often fixed by plugging the lines back in I have to assume the vacuum was the problem. Otherwise it must be my waving of hands over the engine doing it. It would be interesting to unplug each line and see what it does, or just check a vacuum "wiring" diagram.

Sometimes it isn't obvious that the line is disconnected since the plug "Looks" like it is in place. I especially seem to disturb that plug with three lines into it on top of the AC box.

Besides the fix and inspection is free so doesn't hurt to check.

Jim Henderson
Well let me think, the Speed Control Module gets all of it information from the PSOM and the PCM Computer has no control over Speed Control that means that you have a vacuum operated speedometer. My speedometer and PSOM gets its information from the VSS on the rear end. Ah the rear end, do we run vacuum to the rear end to move the tone ring?
Mines is hooked to the Ring Gear.
Lets see now can a PCM Computer check for vacuum any place? I can not seem to think of any sensor for vacuum that gives information to the PCM Computer so the PCM Computer can ground the wire coming from the PSOM and shut down the Speed Control Module.

All in all lets not send somebody on a wild goose chase for a vacuum leak when vacuum has nothing to do with the Speed Control Module.

The Speed Control Module is a separate item and is not influenced by the Computer or vacuum.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:11 PM
F3fitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by 86F150302
I've heard this was common. Would a bad servo cause all functions of cruise control to stop working? I have nothing. No cruise light, nothing. Absolutley nothing happens when I press the button. (Yes, fuse is good)

Old 02-25-2011, 02:27 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by F3fitty
I've heard this was common. Would a bad servo cause all functions of cruise control to stop working?
Yes it would.

I have nothing. No cruise light, nothing. Absolutley nothing happens when I press the button. (Yes, fuse is good)
You have a "cruise light"?

What year are we talking about?
Is this a F-seres truck?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
F3fitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by subford
Yes it would.

You have a "cruise light"?

What year are we talking about?
Is this a F-seres truck?
Not sure... I just figured there would be a cruise light. Guess not huh? My cruise hasnt worked in almost 6 years that I've had the truck.

Its 93 F350XLT

I guess a servo is something else I can seach the junkyards for...

Old 02-25-2011, 03:19 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Not sure... I just figured there would be a cruise light. Guess not huh? My cruise hasnt worked in almost 6 years that I've had the truck.

Its 93 F350XLT

I guess a servo is something else I can seach the junkyards for...
Does the speedometer work OK.
Is the RABS light on the dash on?

/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control