EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

EB Observation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone confirmed that Ford requires the license plate to be offset? Are we sure it's not just that dealer who put them there? I've seen dealers do some crazy stuff in the past.........

Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I looked on cars.com last night at several EB trucks in different states and they were all like that.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
Has anyone confirmed that Ford requires the license plate to be offset? Are we sure it's not just that dealer who put them there? I've seen dealers do some crazy stuff in the past.........
It is a requirement by Ford so as to not block the intercooler. The only other way Ford could have done it, is by having an air intake in the hood. Think rice burner / Fast & Furious. I'll take the offset front plate.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
It is a requirement by Ford so as to not block the intercooler. The only other way Ford could have done it, is by having an air intake in the hood. Think rice burner / Fast & Furious. I'll take the offset front plate.
Then again a snorkel might look pretty cool if your mud boggin'! NOT!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm going to post this in the 2009+ forum to see if can get more discussion on the matter. I have to agree with you sir, the 2011 trucks and the addition of the EB motor shouldn't have taken us two steps back.
Ford doesn't think they've taken 2 steps back. They're focusing on good peformance, towing capabilities and decent fuel mileage. A great combination. They don't need to keep folks like myself in mind because I'm part of a small minority for how I use my F150 vs how most owners use them. So, I'm just frustrated and venting and annoyed by this.

Maybe I should buy the F350 I've been eyeing. But the F150 is such a great truck... Oh SNAP... At least Ford sent me an extra 750 off coupon, so it will make whatever I do a little easier to deal with.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:31 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by svt2205
Ford doesn't think they've taken 2 steps back. They're focusing on good peformance, towing capabilities and decent fuel mileage. A great combination. They don't need to keep folks like myself in mind because I'm part of a small minority for how I use my F150 vs how most owners use them. So, I'm just frustrated and venting and annoyed by this.

Maybe I should buy the F350 I've been eyeing. But the F150 is such a great truck... Oh SNAP... At least Ford sent me an extra 750 off coupon, so it will make whatever I do a little easier to deal with.
I appreciate your posts on this matter both current and all of your past ones. I'm trying to play devil's advocate here to a) keep the thread moving and b) to determine why it was available last year and not now without speculation of steering and ventilation changes.

I have in the past been a loud voice saying that plowing duties should be left to the heavier service trucks and I still believe that. Likewise, I also agree that the F-150 is more than capable to handle small chores.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I, along with most on this thread, don't like the offset plate on the EB trucks. But I can live with that because I can't see it while driving. In fact, where I live the front tag isn't required. So I can just leave it off. But the flowthru console with floor shifter and poor choice of interior colors is a real deal breaker for me. Why can't I get the black sport cloth seats in an XLT? I neither want or need an fx4 nor do I want to pay for options I really don't want.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm still having a tough time with the blond woodgrain in the Lariat. I'm curious to see how much trouble and expense would be involved in changing it out to the 2010 dark colored woodgrain.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
I really don't care if the license plate is offset. The EB blows any of Fords engines away. None of the other have the overall total package the EB offers. I'm only dissapointed with the MPG's people associated with the EB drive were bragging about but didn't deliver on.

You can't see the plate holder while driving the truck. I think it's pretty funny that anyone would not buy an EB because of where the L.Plate is mounted.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
I'm still having a tough time with the blond woodgrain in the Lariat. I'm curious to see how much trouble and expense would be involved in changing it out to the 2010 dark colored woodgrain.
What about a King Ranch? It has the dark wood grain.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:11 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by excaliber551
I really don't care if the license plate is offset. The EB blows any of Fords engines away. None of the other have the overall total package the EB offers. I'm only dissapointed with the MPG's people associated with the EB drive were bragging about but didn't deliver on.

You can't see the plate holder while driving the truck. I think it's pretty funny that anyone would not buy an EB because of where the L.Plate is mounted.
I agree completely. I love the EB but wish the mileage was what the hype was about.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by barry1me
I agree completely. I love the EB but wish the mileage was what the hype was about.
Originally Posted by excaliber551

I think it would be a good idea to wait and see some real world mpg results before we judge too harshly.

Remember, the mpg increase percentage of the 3.5L was based off the 5.4L engine.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is always hard to get a real, real world average. Some people are so bad at driving they couldn't get good mileage out of a YUGO! You have to find the trucks sweet spot and keep it there to get good mileage. It always amazes me how many people will drive at 80 on the highway and complain they are not getting good mpg's. I test drove one today, reset the meter before leaving the lot and put on about 30 miles at mostly stop and go traffic (Rt 1 in Florida!) and was averaging 20 mpg driving it right! No need to hit WOT from light to light! And the power is very impressive when you need it. The V10 superduty may be on its way out.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:26 AM
bfd1528
New User
Well from everything I read in my owners Manuel Ford doesn't recommend any plowing with the 2011 F150 EB. Now as for the air flow. After pulling my enclosed trailer this weekend that motor was hot!! Did not need the heater or defrost on at all. When you look under the hood the heat shield/barrier in completely covering the fire wall. This motor heats up!!! My legs and feet were warm and toasty!!! O' mpg about 10-11! ;(

Old 03-30-2011, 05:38 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bfd1528
Well from everything I read in my owners Manuel Ford doesn't recommend any plowing with the 2011 F150 EB. Now as for the air flow. After pulling my enclosed trailer this weekend that motor was hot!! Did not need the heater or defrost on at all. When you look under the hood the heat shield/barrier in completely covering the fire wall. This motor heats up!!! My legs and feet were warm and toasty!!! O' mpg about 10-11! ;(
SVT2205 discovered that the electronic power steering is the culprit for no snow plow application.

How heavy is your trailer?

Quick Reply: EB Observation