Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Speedo compatibility

Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 PM
tip49
Posting Guru
tip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud of
Speedo compatibility

I haven't looked at my stock mechanical speedo that closely but wondering if it is possible to marry it up with early '90's mechanical cable and AOD. I know that the gauge increments are incompatible but could it be buffered out with different gear in AOD tranny ?

Tom

Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
bump

Tom,
I'm not too familiar with Ford tranny's. Does the AOD have a place to hook up a mechanical cable? I know that when GM was starting to switch over to digital dashes and electronic speedos there was a unit (transducer) that fit in the tranny in place of the doo-dad the speedo cable connected to. It was mechanically driven from a gear on the tailshaft and would convert it to an electrical impulse for the speedo, you could change the gear ratio between the speedo drive and driven gears.

Basically if the AOD trannys have something similar then I think it would just be a matter of changing it out to an earlier style cabel set-up and getting a cable.

Bobby

Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 AM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
There are shops that can build custom speedo cables with the correct ends that would work for your application. It's not a big deal. Check your yellow pages or a reputible mechanic shop for a recommendation. The driven gear on the transmission end of the cable is the part typically changed to calibrate the speedo.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 AM
tip49
Posting Guru
tip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud oftip49 has much to be proud of
Thanks guys

Still working on which instrument panel I'm going to put back in; I'm trying to put the faceplate of stock speedo on a '90's speedometer. Going for that "stock" look.

Should get back at the instrument cluster, when I get home this week.

Tom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.