Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tie Rod Tube is bent.....

Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 PM
windsor8689
Senior User
windsor8689 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tie Rod Tube is bent.....

I checked all over the site havent found nothing.....is it worth un bending the tie rod tube? Its not extreme but bent none the less.....

I was hoping someone had a trick to unbend the tube to make it straight agian, Or should i just buy a new one

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM
48ATOY
Senior User
48ATOY is starting off with a positive reputation.
I stuck mine in the branches of a tree
then just pushed it
worked good

make sure you set the toe in right

Joe

Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 PM
windsor8689
Senior User
I dont have trees.....plenty of sahuaro, saghrauo, sarharo....., Lets say i manage to un bend it, does it have to be pefectly straight? With no slight bend at all? Also should i strengthen the tube? Ex: weld a iron pipe on the outside? ...

Thanks again!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
It doesn't have to be "perfectly" straight, but needs to be pretty close to it. If you get it that way, it has maximum strength. A piece of angle iron stitch welded on it is insurance but not necessary if you can get it "pretty straight".

Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM
firstrider
Postmaster
firstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to behold
What yr. truck ? If it is a '48-'52 I have a spare in the shed . PM if you decide to replace .Thanks, Denny

Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM
windsor8689
Senior User
Thanks for the offer firstrider! But its a 59 fridge, I'm gonna work on it first thing after work tomorrow, ill post some pics of the finished product once I get my tie rod ends in

Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
no. 1 check with dennis carpenter and mid fifty as they sell them for 53-56 and bonus built's i believe . the reason i suggest this is that i think they use the same dain tube as the fridges all the way to what 60 or 64 when they quit using a straight axle and went twin i beam . also get online or a print issue of a speedway catalog . they sell tie rod tubes in street rod front suspension in several standard lengths and custom lengths all depending on what you need for both 5/8 and 11/16ths threaded ends . my tie rod tube is i want too say out of mind , 47 1/4 inch long and so should yours . try those fixes instead of messing with one you may never get straight again . the aftermarket tubes will require jam nuts bye the way which obviously those who supply the tubes have as well !!!!!!!!!!!! happy hunting my friend !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Cooter55
Senior User
Cooter55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What year truck? I have a new one for a '55 you can have for the shipping.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:46 PM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
I've been told that the solid ones are much stronger than the stock(hollow) ones, but don't know this first hand.Maybe someone can comment further?

Steve

Old 02-19-2011, 04:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
I've been told that the solid ones are much stronger than the stock(hollow) ones, but don't know this first hand.Maybe someone can comment further?

Steve
Trick question! Pound-for-pound, hollow is stronger; the center provides little strength. But usually when they make them hollow, they make them a larger diameter too, which increases their stiffness. So it's hard to make a blanket statement.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:53 PM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Trick question! Pound-for-pound, hollow is stronger; the center provides little strength. But usually when they make them hollow, they make them a larger diameter too, which increases their stiffness. So it's hard to make a blanket statement.
It goes to show you how susceptible to marketing people like me are.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:41 PM
windsor8689
Senior User
Thanks for the replies fellas, I did manage to straighten the tube.....as straight as my eye can see at least. As for a aftermarket that's gonna have to go on the back burner for now

Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
spurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to all
Your straightened tube should have all the strength you need. Most of the damage that occurs is from running over stuff like rocks and stumps etc... That things hangs down there and just invites trouble!

Old 02-19-2011, 09:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by spurredon View Post
Your straightened tube should have all the strength you need. Most of the damage that occurs is from running over stuff like rocks and stumps etc... That things hangs down there and just invites trouble!
... or in the case of Cooter's truck, someone tried to jack up the front end with it!! then drove that way! I got his old wheels and tires, there is nothing left of the tread on the insides. I guess it kinda does look like the I-beam... NOT!!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Cooter55
Senior User
Cooter55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
... or in the case of Cooter's truck, someone tried to jack up the front end with it!! then drove that way! I got his old wheels and tires, there is nothing left of the tread on the insides. I guess it kinda does look like the I-beam... NOT!!
Yeah, that was pretty dumb...PO bent it then bought a new one but never put it on. Guess the tires were meant to be expendable. I've got the MII front on now so all those parts are going or gone.
Are you ever going to put those wheels on or are they becoming garage art?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tie Rod Tube is bent.....

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.