Sponsored by:

Loud noise under accerleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Broncobudy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud noise under accerleration

Hello, I replaced my fan clutch and only my fan clutch. Easy install. However, when I accelerate, it now sounds like some turboprop plane on take off. Once it hit overdrive, it quiets way down and is normal sounding. I suspect the old fan clutch didn't work and the fan never reached max rpms. I double checked and it appears the fan blades are in the right direction. The good news, I get better mpg and the engine runs way cooler. I think I may need to replace the fan to a lower profile. Any ideas on this? Not sure what to do. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
did you get a standard fan clutch or the heavy duty version.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Broncobudy
Senior User
I fear the answer the question to your question...but I got the heavy duty version. Here it is:

Advance Auto Parts: Fan Clutch - 7" Thermal Heavy Duty by Imperial - Part 215146

Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, that's actually a good thing, your engine will be running better and cooler with more fresh air. One comment: The fan-clutch and the waterpump are like Romeo and Juliet, one goes first, but the other will follow soon (own experience). Saddly you didn't ask before replacing the fan-clutch, or i would have told you to replace them both and save you the time. Keep an eye on that pump from now on (if your belt ever falls without an apparent cause check that pump).

Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Broncobudy
Senior User
I replaced the water pump about two years ago. I bought this...Flow Kooler Aluminum Water Pump, 351W (5.8L)

Can you tell then, if the loud noise is just the fan being way more productive than what it was?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
I had a motorhome do the same thing. It was so loud that it scared the h#ll out of me when it went quiet. (at about 65 mph) Got another standard duty clutch, fixed.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It probably is, Broncobuddy. If you aren't perceiving any strange vibrations i guess you won't have any troubles. When i swapped those two i did a thread before and someone mentioned exactly what you're saying: that his HD fan-clutch did a lot of noise but worked great keeping his truck cool (actually, being in this tropical climate, i kind of regret not using a HD fan-clutch). He stated that even his A/C was working better (which seems very logical).

Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
vtjvt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, nothing to worry about, the fan clutch is just doing it's job

Old 02-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Broncobudy
Senior User
Yeah, I drove it around with the windows up and it wasn't bad. The original fan clutch looked pretty old, so I am guessing it wasn't working properly anyway. Thanks.