Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Inside window seal

Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
DIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to behold
Inside window seal

The seal on the bottom of the inside of my window won't stay in place because the PO broke all the little plastic tabs off that it fastens to. The seal and weatherstripping has small "teeth" on clips that as best I can guess are designed to grip onto plastic tabs that protrude from the inside door skin. these tabs are all broken off and gone. My question is this, is there another way to get the weatherstripping and seal to stay in place other than replacing the inside door skins?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
redlightning93
Senior User
redlightning93 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The best fix for this issue is to use pop rivets through the seal and door panel. It will require three for each one and you will need to use short ones to prevent intrusion into the inside of the door. I have repaired several this way and it works out fine.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
DIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to beholdDIYMechanic is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by redlightning93 View Post
The best fix for this issue is to use pop rivets through the seal and door panel. It will require three for each one and you will need to use short ones to prevent intrusion into the inside of the door. I have repaired several this way and it works out fine.
Ok, so you pop-rivet the seal to the door panel? I am assuming you take the door panel off and do this from the inside somehow, or do you do it from the outside? Any pictures would really help. Do the pop rivets show on the outside of the door panel then?

I am a bit confused.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:57 PM
redlightning93
Senior User
redlightning93 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You will need to pull the door panel and pop rivet the seal to the door panel. I do not have any pics to send but once you get the door panel off you will see that it is not hard to understand how to do it. I used 1/8" rivets and also used a 1/8" washer on the panel side so the rivet would not pull through the plastic. The rivets will never show when done this way.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:50 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Sweet. I think I understand what you're talking about. I'll have to pull my door panels off and give it a shot some time soon.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.Encho has a spectacular reputation.
Well, when someone does it please send some pics this way?.