1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

@##%$&^$^* people sit on my fenders

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I blame part of this on the tv show guys that will throw down thousands of dollars of paint and wet sand it and buff it to a show car shine and then as the camera pans away the guy is leaning on the hood with both hands telling you about next weeks show! If people that aren't car people see that then they assume it's ok to do it to our trucks because if the tv "expert" does it then it must be ok...

Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
I know this kind of stuff happens at car shows too.People are just complete idiots.
TV shows dont show the reality of a car restoration.All i see is cool,muscly guys and 1 or 2 hot girls that wont stop yappin about something that they dont have any idea of.they never show busted knuckles,the builder running out of money,the builder going to a junkyard or his wife getting mad at him.
People see you drivin your old car and they think that you have chip foose and his team in your garage waiting for you so they can start working on your car.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:36 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to be vigilant every second with my truck.. we put door holder rods on to block kids from stepping on the running boards to look in,
and then hard plastic signs on the back of the running boards to stop looking into the bed from the side..

We had one lady, last summer, we said 'No touching, thanks, you understand', she said, No I don't!... please explain.. well, does the truck belong to you? No... do you like it when people touch your stuff? well, no.. so why do you think you can touch it? Its so beautiful....
and that means what?!..

Sam

Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sometimes I wonder about people. Do they walk all around in their house with their boots on and rest with their boot up on the highly polished coffee table? I wonder if they are the same ones we could call fat scratching dog - fender sitters...lol

Old 02-17-2011, 03:14 PM
gusbratz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck is no showpiece but the one that gets me is occasionally somebody will show some interest in it and want me to pop the hood so I do. we look and talk and what-not then they sometimes reach up to shut it. they shut it like you do a newer vehicle before i can yell or something. i don't know if the springs in the regulators are old and weak or if it is becase of the size and weight but it relly makes me cringe when that old hood comes down like a ton of bricks. as soon as they do it people are apologizeing but i relly try to keep people away from it. is that normal for that hood to slam that hard?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gusbratz
my truck is no showpiece but the one that gets me is occasionally somebody will show some interest in it and want me to pop the hood so I do. we look and talk and what-not then they sometimes reach up to shut it. they shut it like you do a newer vehicle before i can yell or something. i don't know if the springs in the regulators are old and weak or if it is becase of the size and weight but it relly makes me cringe when that old hood comes down like a ton of bricks. as soon as they do it people are apologizeing but i relly try to keep people away from it. is that normal for that hood to slam that hard?
No! In my opion hoods don't have to slam and neither do the doors. We set them up so they click together not like they have to be slammed.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
gusbratz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh you misunderstand me, I have cleaned oiled and adjusted my latches so my doors and hood click perfectly with very little effort. the hood is just so heavy that it takes people by surprise when you give it a little push it comes down relly violently. I mean it will scare people 20 feet away it is so loud. is that normal or are the springs weak is my question.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

my hood doesnt slam that hard...but if someone did,I would slam my hood on their head like Joe Pesci would

Old 02-17-2011, 04:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by gusbratz
... is that normal or are the springs weak is my question.
You need new springs!

Not entirely on topic, but I used to work with a guy who hunts and fishes all the time. Not a car guy at all, but every so often he'd buy a new 4x4 truck for hunting etc. He never sprung for carpet or anything except an AM radio and A/C, always got Fleet White color. Anyway, he bought a new one while I was working with him, and he asked if I wanted to go for a ride with him in it. Where? I said. He said I need to take it down to the river. OK. So off we go down along the river bank, no road or even much more than a fishing path, salt cedar and scrub oak scratching the hell out of it. He says, I just wanted to get that first scratch out of the way, so I don't need to worry about it!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
All you guys worry too much!! They're just trucks!!

Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

I camouflaged my brothers jeep last year for hunting season.I camo'd the dash,I made seat covers,headliner,spare tire cover out of camo fabric and we installed camo carpet.Hell,we even camo'd the jerry cans.i must have sprayed 1 and 1/2 gallons of clear coat on that thing.I know it was for hunting but my brother is a careful driver and he treats his vehicles with care.His hunting buddy not so much,he doesn't care. As soon as the paint dried,he put his rifle on the hood and scratched the crap out of it.My bro never took him hunting again.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by fordman75
All you guys worry too much!! They're just trucks!!
If i had a show truck then some idiot put a lil scratch on my fender,I would have to repaint the whole fender.If the paint didnt match,I would have to repaint the whole truck.I wold not only be worried but I would be pissin nails!!!!!!!

Come on guys,someone sittin om my fenders is like someone sitting on my grandma's face.

Last edited by iwanaflattie; 02-17-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: more bla
Old 02-17-2011, 05:29 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
If i had a show truck then some idiot put a lil scratch on my fender,I would have to repaint the whole fender.If the paint didnt match,I would have to repaint the whole truck.I wold not only be worried but I would be pissin nails!!!!!!!
I plan to drive mine every day once I get it done. That's why I'm just going to rattle can mine. If it gets chipped or scratched just whip out the spray can and touch it up.

Show trucks are cool to look at. But life is too short to worry about scratching the paint or people damaging something.

People shouldn't mess with other people's property but they do. You can't beat the crap out of any one that touches your truck not matter how badly you'd like to.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by fordman75
I plan to drive mine every day once I get it done. That's why I'm just going to rattle can mine. If it gets chipped or scratched just whip out the spray can and touch it up.

Show trucks are cool to look at. But life is too short to worry about scratching the paint or people damaging something.

People shouldn't mess with other people's property but they do. You can't beat the crap out of any one that touches your truck not matter how badly you'd like to.
your absolutely right.i wish i could beat the crap out of them tho.
my truck will never be a show truck but i will try to ''reason'' with people while i have it.
its been days since the incident but im still pissed

Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
A friend just saw this and said to get a pitpull that is trained...

Quick Reply: @##%$&^$^* people sit on my fenders