Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What Suspension?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 PM
00F150
Freshman User
00F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What Suspension?

Hey guys,

I'm sorry to post this again but I'm just so confused on what front suspension to go with on my 54 ford. I would like something that sits lower than stock and rides great! I'm debateing between a 03-up crown vic and a 84 jag. Both seem pretty easy to do. I'm just worried about the high offset wheels for the vic.

Anyone on here know if you can run reg. wheels with the jag front suspension? Anyone have pics of a completed jag swap with aftermarket wheels? Can you change the bolt patteren on the jag?

Thanks in advance for any help. I just need to make my mind up on a $400.00 29k mile crown vic clip or a 200.00 Jag front clip with around 85k miles on it.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
4mrdragoon is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm going with the Crown Vic cost and availability of parts. From what we have seen so far you may be limited in wheels and ride hieght, wait and see though . Custom made rims are not that uncommon. The jag seems proven and from what I've read plenty of mods have been made. It boils down to what you want at the end of the day, and what your willing to pay to get there. Pretty much anything is possible with todays technology and enough cash.
But I suppose you already know all of that. Good luck either way.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:30 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Here is an FTE member running the Jag. Holmsey.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 AM
AstroFab
Senior User
AstroFab is starting off with a positive reputation.
2nd gen Camaro clip in my '56. I love it. Drops it low, easy to install, power steering, disc brakes, good suspension with alot of aftermarket support, easy to get parts for at the parts store. The steering box is up front which allows for easy header clearance. Mine drives straight and smooth, handles like it's on rails. These clips are in junkyards everywhere for cheap. Takes a weekend to install if you can weld.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 AM
BBKtech2
Senior User
BBKtech2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm with Astrofab. The Camaro is hands down better than the Crown Vic everybody seems to like using. I'm a "looks" guy and that front end is ugly. IMHO. The Camaro blends into the frame nicer, sits right, looks better, has performance steering and swaybar upgrades, is 59" wide so wheels are no problem. I just don't understand this fasination with the Crown Vics? Why build in ugly and problems?
For ease of installation and reliablity, you can't beat the Must II's. Dollar for dollar, the cost of the junkyard clip, plus install and rebuild, puts you right at the cost of a MustII kit, bought and installed, and it's all brand new.
These are just my thoughts and opionions on this front end subject, but it comes from 18 years of building F100's that are built to be driven.
Built a guy a 56 with a Camaro years ago, he drove it EVERYWHERE!! 116,000 in 4 years.
Absolutely loved the truck. Then built him a Corvette chassis with Flatout Engineering crossmembers and put the 56 on the Vette chassis. Last I heard he had 80,000 on that chassis. The Camaro chassis got put under his friend's son's 55. He drives the truck everyday too.
I've never had anybody complain about their Camaro IFS.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 AM
tinlizzy
Freshman User
tinlizzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had Mike Chesser put a chevelle front end put in mine it drives good and you can get all kinds of upgrades for it.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
If you're down to just those two, I'd go with the Jag. I haven't used one but from reports I've seen and heard from those who have, it works out well and easy to install. If you're open to something else I think the MII is probably the best kit on the market.

Why would you want to change the pattern on the Jag? It already has a 5 x 4.75 pattern. The only problem you might encounter with stock type wheels is the center hole. I think aftermarket wheels might have a larger diameter center hole but the center holes in stock Chevy wheels is a big smaller. You might have to have the center hole enlarged by a machine shop. I understand you need a 2 7/8 inch hole...

Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 PM
00F150
Freshman User
00F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I go with the jag I would want to have a 4x4.5 pattern to match the explorer rear end.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:17 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Post Fiend
GreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to allGreatNorthWoods is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 00F150 View Post
If I go with the jag I would want to have a 4x4.5 pattern to match the explorer rear end.
I don't know your plans for wheels, but nearly all aftermarket wheels now have both patterns on the same wheel. I'm running a Chevy 10 bolt rear and a Volare front but the Smoothie wheels I'm using have both patterns so it's not an issue. For stock wheels, you could always carry a spare with both patterns or an adapter...

Old 02-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
I have a jag ifs and explorer rear end. they are a different bolt pattern, but my wheels have both the 5x4.5 and 5x4.75 bolt pattern. its not a match but at least the wheels are interchangeable. I am not sure if I will stick with the weld draglites though. I like them alot but they are thick in the hub area so if I keep them I will need to get longer wheel studs because the lugnuts barely thread on the studs on the jag hubs. they are fine on the explorer rear.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Ziegelsteinfaust is starting off with a positive reputation.
You could also use a C10 cross member. It can bolt in like the CV, but you have to grind and knock out the factpory rivets.

The problem with the Camaro and C10 is that you practically have to run a SBC. Or your going to play a bit of hell getting a Ford to work.

That being said I would do the C10 if I wanted old school rims since I could do it in my back yard just like the CV.

As for the Jag I never looked at it.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Old F1
Posting Guru
Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Just to clarify;

The Camero (and GM) is front frame replacement which involves cutting your old frame off at the fire wall and the resulting sheet metal alignment issues.

The Jag, latter CV, and M II are all front cross member installs using your old frame.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Ziegelsteinfaust is starting off with a positive reputation.
The C10 installs like the CV M2 and jag.

I would section the crossmember for beauty reasons becouse it is *** ugly, but cheap, plentyifull, and aftermarket loved.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 PM
AstroFab
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
The problem with the Camaro and C10 is that you practically have to run a SBC. Or your going to play a bit of hell getting a Ford to work.

B.S. We did a Camaro clip on a friends '58 F100 with the stock Y-Block. After a few years the motor went, so a build 302 went in. Pick the right oil pan and there's no problem. The SBC mounts unbolt. We made the Y-Block and SBF mounts bolt to the original SBC mount holes.

Also you can get Camaro rotors will the 5x4.5" pattern already drilled in them, or easily have them drilled to whatever pattern you'd like. On the '58 mentioned above, the rotors were drilled to the stock 5x5.5" so he could use his stock wheels.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:54 PM
AstroFab
Senior User
Originally Posted by Old F1 View Post
Just to clarify;

The Camero (and GM) is front frame replacement which involves cutting your old frame off at the fire wall and the resulting sheet metal alignment issues.

The Jag, latter CV, and M II are all front cross member installs using your old frame.

You cut the front frame/crossmember stub off the truck frame, and weld it to the front stub of the camaro clip, allowing you to use the truck core support, radiator, fender braces, bumper brackets, etc. My sheetmetal bolts on like it did from the factory.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Suspension?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.